Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2014, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always wanted to go to Cuba...

It looks like diplomatic relations with Cuba are thawing. Unrestricted travel between the US and Cuba may soon be a reality.

Has anyone been to Cuba? Do you have any travel tips or recommended photo destinations?

12-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Going to Cuba is my dream.
My girlfriend is US citizen, so I had to choose if go alone or just don't go. I always choose the second option.
But this time it seems that I could realize it.
I will take my fingers crossed!
12-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Cuba is amazing... we love our vacations there .

Photo destinations!? Honestly... the whole country is beautiful... will be hard to recommend one specific spot. Has a lot of parts that is still untainted by technology.
Best advise is to choose a 5 start hotel and start from there . Walking outside of the resorts has not been a problem (so far at least).
12-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How about Puerto Rico?

12-18-2014, 02:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
How about Puerto Rico?
My girlfriend is from Puerto Rico

I am going to visit it in few months.
But it is a completely different world compared with Cuba.
Landscapes are similar, obviously, but everything else is very different.
12-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
My girlfriend is from Puerto Rico

I am going to visit it in few months.
But it is a completely different world compared with Cuba.
Landscapes are similar, obviously, but everything else is very different.
So, you want documentary of poor country more than landscaping?
Enjoy PR. I wish I would come back there soon.
12-18-2014, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
So, you want documentary of poor country more than landscaping?
Enjoy PR. I wish I would come back there soon.
The topic is very very wide and I don't think that this is the right place.
Cuba is not only a poor country.
It is a place full of history, people are amazing and it is an unique place in the world.
I am not saying that it is better or worse than Puerto Rico, just different.
I will enjoy the travel for sure!

12-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter

So far this thread is o.k. Lets keep it that way by steering clear of politics.
12-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm interested in old architecture and striking scenery. Cuba was already "old-world" when the embargo began in 1960. My understanding is that not very much has changed in 50 years.
12-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
It looks like diplomatic relations with Cuba are thawing. Unrestricted travel between the US and Cuba may soon be a reality.

Has anyone been to Cuba? Do you have any travel tips or recommended photo destinations?
I happy that this Good News is really happening !

You'll finally be able to join the thousands of Canuks going there ... and have fun !!
12-18-2014, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
It is a place full of history, people are amazing and it is an unique place in the world.
I am not saying that it is better or worse than Puerto Rico, just different.
I will enjoy the travel for sure!
Every Caribbean island is full of history.They are all different, but also the same in many ways. And yes, people are amazing there. I don't want to talk about politics, but it's the fact that Cuba is poor country (facts can not be offensive), and perhaps the "forbidden fruit" makes it more attractive than other places in that region.

Last edited by Parallax; 12-18-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Political comments removed
12-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

To give you a small idea... a typical side street in a big city in Cuba (snapshot taken from inside a moving car - taken about 3 years ago).

Last edited by mrNewt; 12-19-2014 at 06:08 AM.
12-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have a friend that has been going to Cuba quite regularly....all he does is travel to Mexico and then to Cuba from there....not a big deal.
The rooms are dirt cheap and so are the drinks...plus they have all our old vintage cars down there...
12-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Highest time to go there before the country turns to one big hotel multicomplex and all authentic "genius loci" will be gone.

BTW poor... money's not everything. There are some indexes (like this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_American_countries_by_Human_Development_Index ) which show it in a different light. 2nd position in Latin America HDI ranking (after Chile) isn't all that bad.

Last edited by zzeitg; 12-18-2014 at 04:07 PM.
12-18-2014, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
I have a friend that has been going to Cuba quite regularly....all he does is travel to Mexico and then to Cuba from there....not a big deal.
The rooms are dirt cheap and so are the drinks...plus they have all our old vintage cars down there...
I know a lot of people who have done just that. I haven't however. Apparently, you can ask the Cuban officials not to stamp your US Passport and they will comply. If you get caught (the State Department used to monitor arrivals to Mexico from Cuba for US Passports, for example, and all countries share passenger manifests between governments these days), the fine is tremendous (around $10,000, if I recall). Those days may have been over for a while, but it certainly was common at one time (perhaps other administrations).

I hope I can get to Cuba penalty free to experience the "frozen in history" appearances before it all changes. I've been to Puerto Rico and aside from both having striking island scenery, unique to each location, there really is no comparison. Puerto Rico has been allowed to import pretty much whatever they want for the past 50 years while Cuba has been "frozen" in the past for the most part.

By the way, the movie "Before the Night Falls" was set in Cuba, but filmed in Merida, Yucatan, in case anyone is looking for similar Spanish colonial architecture and one of the largest colonial centros which still exists. It's a quick and painless two-hour or less direct flight from Houston.