Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You don't need to eject a USB stick.
And you risk corruption on doing that also. All USB connected devices will at some time in their life span become unusable if you just yank the drive from the computer.

12-21-2014, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
And you risk corruption on doing that also. All USB connected devices will at some time in their life span become unusable if you just yank the drive from the computer.
Windows 7 and 8 treat flash drives differently from XP and older.

They send data immediately to them instead of caching the writes for a more convenient time, performance-wise.

You're fine with file copies if you pull them out when done.

Hard drives connected by USB are different.

They have write cache enabled - as the OP has discovered.

You can change settings for individual drives you own but I'm happy with the default behaviours.
12-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Imagine my frustration at trying to figure out Windows 8 after years on XP. You young whippersnappers are pretty much up to date on the latest technology, while I am totally lost. I have a new 47" Vizio TV and it will do amazing things...for my grandson when he is here visiting, but for me it is a chore to pull up Youtube or Amazon.....or play a movie on it using that Bluetooth stuff from my notebook or tablet. I have a simple Tracphone flip phone, and only know how to answer or make a call, which is basically all I need ...I guess?

I recall years ago when I picked up my 95 year old Grandad for Christmas one year and he was ridiculing all the "fancy" bells and whistles, buttons and knobs, lights and sounds from Mrs Rupert's Nissan Maxima. He said it was all overkill...except for the heater! I am beginning to understand where he was coming from!

Regards!
12-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Clackers, I work in IT and have been a computer tech for 15 years. I run on a Windows 7 computer built by me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You young whippersnappers
Rupert, I'm probably close to your age if not older......LOL

12-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Clackers, I work in IT and have been a computer tech for 15 years. I run on a Windows 7 computer built by me.
Lol.

Then you should know this.

I'm a Systems Engineer.
12-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm a Systems Engineer.
Good for you, eh.

Yeah, I do but I've had those drives die on me and have had corrupted files on them. Could just have been a dying drive too but I doubt it.
12-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I do but I've had those drives die on me and have had corrupted files on them.
If a drive dies it will be for electrical reasons - surge through the port, for example.

12-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If you say so. I just know that my nieces died after pulling it out of the computer without unmounting it. Or so she said, anyway. There is no real telling what she did or didn't do, I wasn't there when it happened. And I know what happened doesn't make sense, but also know that in the computer world anything can happen and usually does. LOL
12-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Rupert, I'm probably close to your age if not older......LOL
Yeah, but I'm an old plumber......and all I need to know is that sh*t don't run uphill...but you can use a waste pump to get it there!

Regards!
12-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no real telling what she did or didn't do, I wasn't there when it happened. And I know what happened doesn't make sense, but also know that in the computer world anything can happen and usually does. LOL
As you know, PL, there's *always* a reason in IT, it just may be a frustrating one.

She may have taken it out before the writing had finished (an LED is handy) or without shutting down the app that was using it.

But beginning with Vista, Explorer has not delayed writing to a flash disk.

Last edited by clackers; 12-21-2014 at 01:39 PM.
12-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

She may have taken it out before the writing had finished (an LED is handy) or without shutting down the app that was using it.
So, now it comes back to always unmounting it proves it's best to do that to keep from having corrupt files.
12-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #27

If you yank out a USB drive/card while the data is being written you will likely get corruption regardless of the OS.
12-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Just downloaded Office into Windows 8......got a confirmation E-mail but then it took me an hour to find it on the system. I've heard there are ways to make the desktop more like XP or Windows 7.....I think I'm going to have to find out how that works, this start screen is not working for me.

Any of you guys that can come over to my place for a few hours and help me out!
Regards!
12-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lol.

I'm a Systems Engineer.

I've been yanking USB drives out without ejecting them for years. Never had a problem. I build all of my PC's.

I'm also an Astronaut.
12-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

So, now it comes back to always unmounting it proves it's best to do that to keep from having corrupt files.
It's not 1987, PL.

No need unless you're in the habit of yanking disks out while it's copying or still open in Excel/whatever (i.e. somebody who shouldn't be let near a computer)

Nobody in this forum, I'm sure.

Anyone with OCD-like fear of data loss should format as many disks as possible in NTFS (not your camera's card, BTW!).