Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #46
Veteran Member

My neighbor actually has an infestation of pygmy rattlers in her attic and crawlspace. They can't survive our winters here, so they aren't going anywhere. I have yet to convince her that finding black snakes up near her house is a good thing, I have, however, convinced her to holler for me to relocate them if I'm around, as if moving them 100 feet into the woods is any kind of impediment to them.

If I had rattlesnake colonies actually IN my house I would be two shakes shy of a nervous breakdown. She seems to cope but has a hissy fit at the sight of a harmless rat snake outside. I do not understand.

12-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Yeah, I hardly ever kill any snake unless it is very necessary.
They're your friends. They do more good than harm, especially when it comes to rodents.

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
I love my rat snakes and king snakes; they eat the copperheads and rattlesnakes and the plethora of rodents. It seems to embarrass them when I pet them instead of running away.
Nice.

I had a 6ft rat snake get into my attic one night. I spent 3hrs trying to catch her with my bare hands and a flash light. She would come towards the light and get within grabbing distance, but the moment that I moved the slightest bit, she took off like lightning. I ended up leaving the attic door open in the garage and letting her leave on her own. I found her eggs on some insulation the next day.

---------- Post added 12-23-14 at 06:57 PM ----------

My neighbor actually has an infestation of pygmy rattlers in her attic and crawlspace. They can't survive our winters here, so they aren't going anywhere. I have yet to convince her that finding black snakes up near her house is a good thing, I have, however, convinced her to holler for me to relocate them if I'm around, as if moving them 100 feet into the woods is any kind of impediment to them.

If I had rattlesnake colonies actually IN my house I would be two shakes shy of a nervous breakdown. She seems to cope but has a hissy fit at the sight of a harmless rat snake outside. I do not understand.
A rat snake, I don't mind. Rattlers in the attic? No way.
12-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #48
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had a customer once with an infestation of copperheads. We were on the jobsite about two weeks and left just before sundown each day to avoid them, they were everywhere once the sun went down. The old man that lived there woke up one night with one sleeping on his belly.......damn near had a heart attack! He had a rock house, and rock terraces all around, the snakes lived in the rock crevices and had multiplied over the years. Finally, he got an exterminator with some high powered poison gas and got rid of them.......he hoped?

Regards!
12-26-2014, 03:48 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
An update

1. The solution to my original problem is inconsistent. Sometimes properly dismounting the drive is all it needs and sometimes I still have to take the additional step of running scan disk to set things right. I can live with that but I'm still wondering where the problem lies. Also I'm wondering - because the disc scan is, so far as I know, performed internally only on the disk why couldn't disk scan just be done on the Windows 7 machine, mounted on the Win 8 machine and I should be good to go without a further scan on the Win 8 machine?

2. On my windows 7 machine I have many icons on the desktop properly ordered in a certain way so I can get at programs quickly. I set up Win 8 the same way and each time I restart it the icons are scrambled and out of order. Both machines are set to a desktop view of "align to grid" - what's the problem?

3. Windows Explorer. In all my years in using Windows of any version I have never been able to get it to give me a consistent view across different folders. Any way I can select a certain folder and it's subfolders to give me the same view (same columns in the same order at the same size)? Failing that any third party file managers that will?

Thanks folks and have a nice holiday.

Wildman

12-26-2014, 04:33 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
1. Wildman, the hard disk may have damage from the times you just yanked it out. Do a chkdsk /r on it for a full scan. If it still does it, back it up, format, restore data. If it still does it, these may be hints there are physical problems. Buy another hard drive for peace of mind.

2. Don't really know what you mean. If I move an icon, log off, logon again, the icon is where I moved it. Check that 'Auto arrange' is not selected.

3. Some settings for an individual folder are remembered in the hidden desktop.ini inside that folder, not sub folders. Third party Explorer replacements like Commander are not popular as they were years ago, but a couple of friends like Fences, for instance. No idea whether it or others do what you're trying - make inheritable column arrangements.
12-26-2014, 07:49 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
1. The solution to my original problem is inconsistent.

This still sound like potentially bad sectors on the drive. If you can reformat the drive easily, I would at least run a full CHKDSK, not the mini version you get prompted to do.

QuoteQuote:
2. On my windows 7 machine I have many icons on the desktop properly ordered in a certain way so I can get at programs quickly. I set up Win 8 the same way and each time I restart it the icons are scrambled and out of order. Both machines are set to a desktop view of "align to grid" - what's the problem?
  • Do you have multiple Windows 8 machines using a Live login? If so, by default settings are synchronized across multiple computers. You can change this behavior.
  • Do you ever log in remotely?
  • Do you connect to a domain controller? (Like for work.)
  • If you are plugging in different monitors (including plugging monitor into a laptop) or changing resolutions, the icons can be rearranged to fit the new space. You'll see this occur after unplugging the monitor, if so.
  • Some games will do the same, particularly if the aspect ratio of the resolutions build into the game don't match the aspect ratio of your monitor (I.e. 16:9 versus 16:10) or your graphics card is not powerful enough to run the game at full resolution. I suspect some full screen video players might do this as well. You'll see this occur after running the program, if so.
  • If your graphics drivers are out of date or your bios is old, the resolution windows is running at may not be supported by the bios. You'll see Windows start at a lower resolution in this case and resize during a reboot, assuming you are seeing the whole boot process and not some manufacturers icon. Update drivers to (probably) correct.
  • You may have a corrupted user profile. To test this, create a new user account. See if the problem persists on this new account.
QuoteQuote:
3. Windows Explorer. In all my years in using Windows of any version I have never been able to get it to give me a consistent view across different folders. Any way I can select a certain folder and it's subfolders to give me the same view (same columns in the same order at the same size)? Failing that any third party file managers that will?

Windows remembers folder views on a per-folder basis and opens it the way you were looking at it last. There is no option to make ALL folders look the same, but you can change all folders of a folder type. (Nor would you really want to... you might want to see thumbnails of pictures but probably not Word docs...)
  1. Open a folder and arrange it the way you like.
  2. Right click in an empty space and select Properties. Go to the Custom tab. At the top, note the folder type. On my computer, the folder type options are General Items, Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos. Close the Properties window.
  3. Back in the folder, way up at the top you will see some tabs: File / Home / Share / View. Select View
  4. All the way to the right, select Options, and from the dropdown select "Change folder and search options"
  5. In the Folder Options window, select the View tab.
  6. At the top is a section called Folder Views. Click the button Apply to Folders.
  7. Repeat for other folder types that you care about.
If you change the view of a folder when you have it open, it will still save your last view. It won't snap back to some predefined template.

If your last views are not sticking, this may again be a corrupted user profile.
12-27-2014, 03:15 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
1. Wildman, the hard disk may have damage from the times you just yanked it out. Do a chkdsk /r on it for a full scan. If it still does it, back it up, format, restore data. If it still does it, these may be hints there are physical problems. Buy another hard drive for peace of mind.
This still sound like potentially bad sectors on the drive. If you can reformat the drive easily, I would at least run a full CHKDSK, not the mini version you get prompted to do.
Ok,
As you can well understand I don't want to go back to square one with a full reformat of the disk and all the additional work and time that implies if possible.

Then the obvious occurred to me - I have three machines in the house (one win 8.1 and two win 7) with a total of four external USB drives between them.

I think you can see where I'm going with this - I added a folder with files in it to the different drives and simply plugged them into the different machines in different combinations to see what would happen.

I won't bore you with all the details but to summarize:

1. Any combination of any drive between the Win 7 machines - no problem
2. Any combination of any drive when adding a folder with files under Win 8 and then plugging drive into any Win 7 machine - no problem.
3. Any combination of any drive when adding a folder with files under Win 7 and then plugging drive into Win 8 machine without first a disk scan - Fail (sometimes)
4. I took a drive that had just failed the Win 7 to Win 8 test across the street to my neighbors ancient Win XP machine with a USB 1 port and plugged it in - no problem.
5. And most significantly three different drives, at one time or the other failed the Win 7 to Win 8 transfer without, first, a disk scan in Win 8.

Conclusion -
1. I don't have three bad drives.
2. Before I suspect faulty drives I need to do a clean install of the operating system on the laptop and see what happens. If I do, it will be Win 7.

Last edited by wildman; 12-27-2014 at 03:38 AM.
12-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both Nicole and I urge you to do the full disk scans.

You are reporting a difference on your computers as to when the 'file system dirty' flag is raised.

Win XP and 7 may be having a lesser standard of what passes for files to work on, 8 playing it safer by wanting them to have consistency first.

Btw, your disks should be NTFS not FAT32 if you value data integrity.

Last edited by clackers; 12-27-2014 at 05:44 AM.
12-27-2014, 07:27 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Conclusion -
1. I don't have three bad drives.
2. Before I suspect faulty drives I need to do a clean install of the operating system on the laptop and see what happens. If I do, it will be Win 7.

I tell you 3 times: Windows 8 is not the problem. Windows 8 is telling you there is a problem, in a way that Windows 7 did not. It doesn't mean the drives are "bad."
Redesigning chkdsk and the new NTFS health model - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
12-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #55

time to upgrade your file transfer method... i'd dedicate that 1 tb as some cloud drive at home. something like pogo plug will make it a NAS for home. then you can access it with a XBMC set up. install XBMC on the laptop and leave it in your living room, or install XBMC on a RaspberryPi or something small. you can back up movies, pictures, music, etc to the NAS and access it on your big screen.

honestly, if it's just for music, why not a bluetooth adapter? i know this is not a solution for the question you asked, but there are other ways to get music from one room to another. you could install XBMC on your desktop, plug the bluetooth adapter in your living room, and control music through a XBMC remote (on android phone).
12-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #56
Veteran Member

The more I read in this thread, the more I realize how computer ignorant I am. I understand very little of what I am reading, but know where to come when I need help!
Meanwhile, Mrs Rupert is skipping right along on her new little Nextbook Transformer....she has not encountered any major problems and prefers the Windows 8 over her Win7 notebook. Maybe it is the touchscreen that she likes so much? The layout of all the little tiles of what's on the computer in one place is also handy. I still run XP on my desktop, but don't see where I would have a problem with Win 8...although I am waiting for Win 10 for my next desktop upgrade.

I have a friend that owns a local Computer Store.....they are now beta testing Win 10......haven't heard much yet but should next week.
Regards!
12-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tell you 3 times: Windows 8 is not the problem. Windows 8 is telling you there is a problem, in a way that Windows 7 did not. It doesn't mean the drives are "bad."
Redesigning chkdsk and the new NTFS health model - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
Very interesting link from the designers, Nicole.

Well, "interesting" to techies, that is!
12-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

prefers the Windows 8 over her Win7 notebook. Maybe it is the touchscreen that she likes so much? The layout of all the little tiles of what's on the computer in one place is also handy.
Yep, the big tiles work really well with a touchscreen device or a living room media centre (no surprise, there's a lot of Xbox about it), Rupert.

I prefer to have the Start menu turned on for a normal monitor, though. The touch tiles are silly on Server 2012, for instance.

Last edited by clackers; 12-28-2014 at 07:31 AM.
12-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, "interesting" to techies, that is!
Read it......Here's what I got.....some files get corrupted and are now easier and faster to repair. I'm not a techie by any means...did I get it right?
I am assuming that W8 will give you a notice that a file is corrupted, and guide you on how to repair it? I'm running my old XP on my office desktop, and can't really recall any corrupted file notices, but have had some SD cards that have "gone bad" on occasion. I attributed this to faulty cards...but maybe it was corrupted files?

Regards!
12-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

but have had some SD cards that have "gone bad" on occasion. I attributed this to faulty cards...but maybe it was corrupted files?
A faulty card will often fail completely - you put it in and you get a message offering to format it, or it doesn't mount at all. And they can stop working suddenly.

Even the old 3 1/2" floppies would often signal in advance their failure.

Once again, I'd recommend people use NTFS to format their cards - the file system has better inbuilt redundancy, error checking and recovery capability.