Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do both of your eyes see color the same? A test.

I have noticed this for years, but I figure this is the forum to ask this question. Since we are all used to evaluating color. If I take a white piece of paper and look at it in normal daylight, the paper looks slightly warm with my left eye and slightly cool with my right eye as compared to each other. I can even see the difference on my computer monitor when looking at the background white on this forum. I am left eye dominant.

Test and report.

12-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I have noticed this for years, but I figure this is the forum to ask this question. Since we are all used to evaluating color. If I take a white piece of paper and look at it in normal daylight, the paper looks slightly warm with my left eye and slightly cool with my right eye as compared to each other. I can even see the difference on my computer monitor when looking at the background white on this forum. I am left eye dominant.

Test and report.
Well...there is your problem, you are left I dominant.
12-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I know. I shoot pool left handed. Golf and play baseball right handed. I shoot a rifle left handed and a pistol right handed. When I used to play goalie in hockey I preferred to catch the puck right handed but a baseball left handed. I could however easily switch the glove and stick to the other hand if needed. I'm so confused.
12-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure if there is a color difference but the vision is certainly different in my eyes. My glasses have a different prescription for each eye and according to my optician, that difference is quite common. I don't know if it's a left vs right handed issue or just a normal part of the aging process as I had near perfect vision in both eyes until I was around 40. I am pretty proficient at using both hands equally doing some tasks but much of that has been learned. It didn't happen naturally. Due to back issues and injuries through the years, I learned to compensate. Due to my 40+ years as a fleet mechanic, I have had surgeries in both eyes to remove foreign objects and that has contributed I'm sure.

12-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Color seems to be the same, or extremely close, but my vision is better in my right eye than left.

I recently had an eye exam and my eyes are remarkably good for my age, I only need correction for up close work. I hated the frames of my last glasses and this time I went all out and got what I wanted.
Amazon.com: Serengeti Medium Aviator Sunglasses: Shoes

I will get them next week......transition glass that darkens in the bright light, progressive correction for close reading and anti-glare too.
It all came to about $450 and my insurance paid half, I am sure hoping I enjoy them better than my last glasses with a funky frame that looked sort of "girly" to me.

Regards!
12-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The OP has dichromatic color vision. Not all that unusual but it's not considered 'normal' vision.

I have blue eyes so I see everything in Kodachrome blue. My sunglasses have Skylight 1A filters.
12-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The eye does not perceive the color, it receives the data ant transmits it to the brain which converts it to color. Currently there is no evidence that any two people perceive color the same way. We learn the names of colors from others and associate the color name with what we perceive. the quality of data from each eye will change over time. It is inevitable. some of these changes will affect color perception. I would think that most people would have a slight variation in color perception between each eye, but most will be Imperceptible, and only be noticeable if someone else call their attention to it. vision is a learned perception. How we learn to perceive vision varies from person to person. Some people, Generally females, can perceive and name more colors than others, generally males. The quality of data is a product of the eye, the perception is in the brain.

12-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
The eye does not perceive the color, it receives the data ant transmits it to the brain which converts it to color. Currently there is no evidence that any two people perceive color the same way. We learn the names of colors from others and associate the color name with what we perceive. the quality of data from each eye will change over time. It is inevitable. some of these changes will affect color perception. I would think that most people would have a slight variation in color perception between each eye, but most will be Imperceptible, and only be noticeable if someone else call their attention to it. vision is a learned perception. How we learn to perceive vision varies from person to person. Some people, Generally females, can perceive and name more colors than others, generally males. The quality of data is a product of the eye, the perception is in the brain.
Interesting stuff! I have a great eye Doc and he is full of information about the eyes. I have an inherited (from my Mom) ability to see a color and later, at another location, match it in my mind without a sample present. I thought everyone could do this, but I found it is not common. Yesterday I bought two lamp shades this way...and they were a near perfect match....I even knew what little they would be off from the one I was matching. Nothing spectacular, but it is handy at times! ....and yes, this all takes place in the brain, not in the eye!

Regards!
12-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

One eye sees with a blue tint and the other with an amber tint. With both eyes open the colour pretty much averages out. How strongly I notice the effect depends on the colour of the ambient light and of the object I am looking at..
12-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I've never thought about that. Looking at monitor, my left eye sees it with a bit blue tint, and my right - with yellow.
12-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Same, here, slightly cooler tone through the left eye, which also transmits a more blurred image than the right.