Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2014, 01:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone with experience on prescription safety glasses?

I'm tired of wearing both my prescription glasses and safety goggles together. Most of my colleagues wear safety glasses and contact lenses, so they can't really help me. What's a good brand for prescription safety glasses for those of you who wear them? Thanks.

12-31-2014, 03:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just make sure they guard against grinding sparks getting in the sides and over the cheeks. I stuck with the dual glass option because I couldn't find safety glasses that handled metal work very well. Make sure they have UV coatings too as it helps prevent weld flash if you happen to cast a glance in the wrong direction.

I'll watch this thread with interest.
12-31-2014, 04:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still with you on this - glasses + saftey glasses or even goggles.
12-31-2014, 06:12 AM   #4
Forum Member

Hi
I use prescription safety glasses,can't recommend a brand as mine
Are paid by my employer via specsavers in the uk
But we still have to wear clear visors when grinding
Neil

12-31-2014, 06:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had a couple of pairs, just went to the Optometrist and they have a selection of frames and lenses for safety specs there is some that look half ok and some not so. The lenses are medium impact I think, so just ckeck with the optometrist the rating.

If you are cutting and grinding probably best to use a face shield any how, so medium impact was enough for me. I only have one good eye so it is worth the protection of safety specs at work and working at home.
12-31-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
Dark Underlord
Loyal Site Supporter

I wore prescription safety glasses for work. The optometrist always had a couple of ugly frames on hand - choose one or the other. I had to keep the paper with the specifications on it because OSHA would occasionally ask for proof (same with our boots too) that they were safety-rated. They aren't safety glasses if they don't come with side covers and a sheet of paper with their specifications. I always chose the smallest pair of safety glasses I could get because I thought they would fit under welding goggles better. They still didn't fit under the goggles well. Now I have "grinder goggles" that look like ski goggles which fit much better over my regular glasses. My brother chooses to wear the full polycarbonate face-shield over his glasses because he can't weld without his bifocals on. The hardest thing was always finding sunglasses that would fit over my safety glasses when working outside in the bright desert sunshine.
12-31-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by whk1992 Quote
I'm tired of wearing both my prescription glasses and safety goggles together. Most of my colleagues wear safety glasses and contact lenses, so they can't really help me. What's a good brand for prescription safety glasses for those of you who wear them? Thanks.
I have a Snakewear frame. You could get it in clear, transparent or black with tinted, transparent protection on the sides and bottom. It provides good protection but the bridge in contact with the nose is a fairly sharp edge. Even after filing it down by hand, it's still uncomfortable. I'm not sure if that frame is still in production. I think the manufacturer was bought by Titmus.

Addendum:
I have the Snakewear model SW07 in black and yellow. It is one of the few frames that accommodate a strong prescription (+7 in my case). And yes, Titmus bought Snakewear.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 12-31-2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: additional information
12-31-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree that wearing ordinary glasses under safety glasses is not good, uncomfortable and actually can be a hazard because it limits vision, spatial awareness and head movement.

For many years I used the USA style prescription safety glasses with tamper resistant side shields, always of the same sturdy, larger frame size.The shop claimed they were not allowed to renew lenses in the old frames.

I used those in visits to hot forging facilities around the world and never had trouble when I declined the plant issued eyewear as part of ppe. -partially I think because the glasses looked more serious than the local issue.

Coming available now are polycarbonate safety goggles with slight + dioptres, OK for those without much astigmatism.

Now I have one eye with interocular lens implant and will have the other done soon.

Then I will not need prescription glasses except for reading. I will be looking for some diopter goggles for my retirement hobbies, home machining and oxy-actylene welding.

12-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Most opticians can get you safety glasses in your prescription. My work glasses are a slightly larger frame, shatterproof lenses and side shields which are removable. They were actually cheaper than my regular glasses. I avoid coatings on my work lenses because the coatings make cleaning more difficult and my work glasses require a lot of cleaning, sometimes several times per hour.
12-31-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I went with 3m eagles; $50 frame and $100 lenses with an included brow guard for extra protection when grinding or welding. They lenses are uncoated so that they are easier to clean and I don't have to worry about solvents stripping the coatings (which happened to my Mother's regular glasses a few years later when she wore them to paint a wall).

I knew I would be working around a lot of metal dust, welding, grinding and doing electrical work. If you are in a less intense field you may be fine with something more like a regular pair of glasses with permanent side shields. One of our local optometrists has 30 or more different safety frames in stock for people to try on. I would strongly suggest calling around to see if there are any stores in your area with samples since safety glasses, like regular glasses, come in many different styles and the much heavier impact resistant lenses can make a pair that fits poorly very uncomfortable, particularly if you are doing manual labour.

Last edited by Steinback; 12-31-2014 at 03:13 PM.
12-31-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, thank you all of you great Pentaxians for your advices. I sent e-mails to a few local stores and see if they carry safety glasses.

---------- Post added 12-31-14 at 03:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
Just make sure they guard against grinding sparks getting in the sides and over the cheeks. I stuck with the dual glass option because I couldn't find safety glasses that handled metal work very well. Make sure they have UV coatings too as it helps prevent weld flash if you happen to cast a glance in the wrong direction.
I'll watch this thread with interest.
I have a pair of goggles from Uvex that wraps around my face. They have rubber gaskets that were designed to seal splashes and dusts from my eyes. Unfortunately, the goggles do not deform enough to fit my face's curvature. I kept getting sparks in... Eventually I gave up on those whenever I use a grinder, and opted for a clear face shield... that doesn't have tabs to mount on my hardhat......
01-01-2015, 07:03 AM   #12
Pentaxian

For metal grinding, cutting and torch work, a full face shield is really needed as plain safety glasses don't provide good protection. Small particles bounce and can ricochet off your glasses and go right into your eye. I've experienced it more than once. Goggles that are totally sealed also work but they tend to fog up. The ricochet issue is so bad that the safety glasses may actually raise the risk of eye injury. If I feel stuff hitting my face, I change my working position to keep the sparks and debris away if at all possible. Since I'm usually working under a truck or trailer, that isn't always possible and the face shield protects a lot more. If you ever have a grinding disc or cutting wheel come apart on you, you will always wear a face shield.
01-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Safety glasses come in a variety of shapes, sizes and types. The two distinct types are those made of safety glass, and those made of plastic. If you are buying them out of your pocket, I believe the plastic (or high carbon super duty whatevername the manufacturer puts on them) are more expensive, however, IMHO, they are worth it for a couple reasons. I believe they have a higher impact rating than the safety glass, and they are much lighter, especially if you have a prescription that requires coke bottle thick lenses. The one negative is they need to be coated to block out UV rays - something that is important if used around arc welding operations. Another negative is they will pit easier than glass. They used to scratch easily too, but they have a coating for that too that is well worth the extra cost. Speaking of cost, they should also be tax deductible (if you are in the US), should you have to pay for them.

Also, as already stated, for full protection, you need side shields and at times a full face mask or goggles for adequate protection - in addition to, not in place of - the safety glasses.

For a number of years, one my pair of safety glasses was on display at a local GM plant. It had the razor sharp flute of an end mill stuck in the left lens from when a end mill shattered while I was using a vertical mill. The glass stayed intact and other than knocking my head back rather sharply, I suffered no injuries. No doubt I would have lost sight in that eye had I not been wearing them.

Hope that helps.