Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

There is only Now. There is no past, except in our thoughts, and there are no future, except in our thoughts. When one understands this, and really start living in the present moment, alert and conscious, when one starts enjoying what one already has and stop worrying about what might come, or what has passed, that's when one is truly happy...

01-02-2015, 08:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
pehhaps the word you want as opposed to make would be fashioned or shaped

Although it might change the meaning, maybe up it should "life is never what you hoped for but you are shaped by it"
"la vie ne sera jamais telle que tu as pu l'espérer, mais seulement telle que tu la façonne".

The exact translation would use the word fashion, but "que tu la façonne" implies the subject is acting on life, not passively shaped by it.

The literal translation would be "Life will never be will what you had hoped, but only what you fashion of it." I used "make" instead of fashion, because it is a more commonly used phrase. "Make" is a bit weak because it can be interpreted in a contemplative sense. "Fashion" is more active, therefore more in the spirit of the original, but just feels a bit stilted. I still prefer "make".
01-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I'd still leave on the "of it" in the second sentence, it will sound more familiar to people.

I don't like the "of it" because it weakens the thought; it makes the agent (life) more important than the action (making). Weak and passive writing is more familiar, true, but that doesn't mean it's the better way to express a thought.

English is a mess.
01-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Life will never be what you hope for, only what you make of it." or "Life will never be what you hope for. It can only be what you make of it."
I would say sentence structure and wording depends on if the phrase is meant to say something meaningful and/or flow poetically in order to convey your point to a large number of persons that they should think about how they live their lives now and not dwell on the 'should of, could of, and didnt's. Or if whoever considers that thesis wants perfect English grammar.
Side Note: I once had a client who constantly corrected my grammar.... don't end your sentence in a preposition she would say. She would say this in a demeaning way and remind me that I used southern Texas slang. I told her if I use slang or imperfect sentence structure I had the sense enough to know when I was doing it. Perfect grammar was not necessary for helping someone to the bathroom. Lol, I made my life easier by quitting and working for people that actually appreciated what I do for them.

01-03-2015, 01:18 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
"Life is never what you hoped. Life is what you make."
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Life will never be will what you had hoped, but only what you make of it.
Yes, this is good.
01-03-2015, 01:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And this is why I love this forum......
01-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I don't like the "of it" because it weakens the thought; it makes the agent (life) more important than the action (making). Weak and passive writing is more familiar, true, but that doesn't mean it's the better way to express a thought.
I think it depends on the context. Stopping at "make" just sounds like stopping short, incomplete. Does it weaken it? Eh, maybe, for me it makes me stop to think what the thought actually is instead of it being instantly clear as it is with the "of it". I'm thinking "make" of what? Imagine it was "life is what you take". It is stronger to say that rather than "life is what you take from it" or it just incomplete and less clear?

So if you want that arresting quality, could be good, could be bad depending on how it is used, what's around it, etc, because it is forcing the reader/listener to complete the thought to make sense of it. (<--Should I have left off "of it" right there?)

01-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #23
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I think the phrase by Parallax was the best......depending on the tense of what you are trying to say. I was an English major, and one with some of the worst English around, but I got by. Many of the best writers have the worst English....I was never the best writer, but I did have some of the worst English!

I'd simplify it considerably....."Life sucks...and then you die."

Regards! & a Happy New Year to you!
01-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
And this is why I love this forum......
I can only agree on this

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The exact translation would use the word fashion, but "que tu la façonne" implies the subject is acting on life, not passively shaped by it.
Yes, that is what I am trying to express.
And thanks for the suggestion of past tense. Yet, I think I will go with the present one, with the past tense it gives the impression that it is already settle and that not much can be done.

So I will use this: "Life will never be what you hope for, only what you make for it."

Again thank you all for the inputs!
01-03-2015, 10:09 AM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
"Life sucks and then you die."
I was waiting for this one, I wasn't to be disappointed.
01-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I was waiting for this one, I wasn't to be disappointed.
You knew I wouldn't let you down...and I didn't!

Regards & Happy New Year to you Kerrowdown!
01-03-2015, 02:58 PM   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You knew I wouldn't let you down...and I didn't!
Aye but Tom S beat you to it, a good few posts earlier.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Regards & Happy New Year to you Kerrowdown!
Aye Happy New Year to you and yours.
01-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye but Tom S beat you to it, a good few posts earlier.
Well IB! He sure did and I didn't even notice it! I would have never imagined me and old Tom would be on the same wavelength, but there you go! Proof that life is stranger than fiction!

Best Regards!
01-03-2015, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Technically speaking, ending a sentence with a preposition ("for"), or even a sentence part (i.e. before a comma or semicolon), is incorrect English. It is, however, in common usage. I wouldn't use it in a term paper, but for less serious uses it's fine.

I would say,
"Life is never what you hoped. Life is what you make."

Not really, the whole, "...ending a sentence with a proposition..." thing it's largely a misapplication of a rule that says you don't use a proposition without an object. See this site for more info:

Ending Sentences with Prepositions
01-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Not really, the whole, "...ending a sentence with a proposition..." thing it's largely a misapplication of a rule that says you don't use a proposition without an object. See this site for more info:
You are technically correct, but you sure would be lost here in Texas where most every sentence ends in a proposition. I think that might apply to a lot of other southern states as well? A lot of us butcher English, it's necessary to communicate in certain areas.

If you can figure this out, you would do just fine here....
CMPIGS
M8PIGS
OSAR
LIB
MRPIGS!

Regards!