Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Dang! I hate it when this happens!

Last Friday, I went out to my car wearing my house slippers.... looking for a misplaced item. My mind was elsewhere and I didn't notice that the driveway was covered in a thin layer of ice with a light dusting of snow on it! I fell and busted my butt before I even knew what happened! Luckily, I didn't break anything, but I've got a very large, ugly black & blue bruise on my right hip. As I was flailing wildly, trying to catch my balance during my fall, I managed to tweak several muscles and sustained a groin pull. Man oh man.... am I sore!

I'm such a doddering old fool!

01-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hopefully there was no one watching, nor cameras rolling. Reminds me of when we were first married We had been married 2 days when we stopped to get a bite to eat I got out of the car and promptly slid on the ice up and under the car it right in front of my new bride. 38 years later she still ribs me about it .
01-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #3

...and no one around with a camera to catch the moment? Pity, it must been quite comical. I wish you and you're bruises a quick recovery from your slippery incident.
01-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shutter Snappy Quote
...and no one around with a camera to catch the moment? Pity, it must been quite comical. I wish you and you're bruises a quick recovery from your slippery incident.

Nope.... no Candid Camera or Alan Funt.... but my dog was there, and he snickered at me!

01-12-2015, 12:18 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Hopefully there was no one watching, nor cameras rolling. Reminds me of when we were first married We had been married 2 days when we stopped to get a bite to eat I got out of the car and promptly slid on the ice up and under the car it right in front of my new bride. 38 years later she still ribs me about it .
Hi
I know what you mean when on holiday in Malta
With my wife and son I fell backwards on a small boat
And she still laughs about it after 15 years

Neil
01-12-2015, 04:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It's currently about 25deg here, and topped 30 earlier today (celcius)

I have never seen snow outside of having driven a few hours and up a mountain in winter..

So while I can't relate to slipping on ice, I can instead relate to walking outside on summer nights and walking into bloody spider webs
01-12-2015, 05:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
I have never seen snow outside of having driven a few hours and up a mountain in winter..
I could not imagine never seeing snow. I grew up in Indiana we had lots of the stuff every winter.

01-12-2015, 10:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

You were very fortunate! I spent all last winter house-bound due to tripping and falling off my roof while installing new trim in late September. It can happen so fast......I'm generally careful, but sometimes that isn't enough. Glad you are not spending the winter sitting behind a computer and gazing out at the world like I was!

Broke it all to hell....it won't ever be right again, but at least I can walk now!

Regards!
01-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Last Friday, I went out to my car wearing my house slippers.... looking for a misplaced item. My mind was elsewhere and I didn't notice that the driveway was covered in a thin layer of ice with a light dusting of snow on it! I fell and busted my butt before I even knew what happened! Luckily, I didn't break anything, but I've got a very large, ugly black & blue bruise on my right hip. As I was flailing wildly, trying to catch my balance during my fall, I managed to tweak several muscles and sustained a groin pull. Man oh man.... am I sore!

I'm such a doddering old fool!
Without pictures...it did not happen.

01-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #10
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I'm just waiting for him to sign the model release form so that I can share a few shots with the world.
01-12-2015, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everyone thinks falling on your buttocks is a joke. Such events are a staple of visual comedy, on stage and film, live action or animated. In fact, it's nothing to laugh at. A couple decades back I was out hunting photo-ops in a fairly wild area nearby, with a backpack of equipment plus a heavy Manfrotto tripod in my hands. Climbing over an old, low stone wall, a rock under my foot tipped and down I went slamming my sacrum against another rock, with the added momentum of 20+ pounds of equipment. Pain for at least two months, and reminders for many months after that. Some damage to my sacrum detected by recent X-rays probably dates from that incident. Nothing funny about such falls. Snickering onlookers need to experience one.
01-12-2015, 10:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Everyone thinks falling on your buttocks is a joke.
I agree, there is nothing funny about busting yourself up. Otis had that little grin on his face when I fell......and although I can't prove it, I've always thought he was the one that tripped me. Mrs Rupert was not outside at the time, so it wasn't her, but Otis had been hanging around begging for peanuts, and I was too busy to oblige....then the next thing I knew I was on the ground and couldn't get up.

Regards!
01-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote

I'll gladly oblige with photos showing me wincing in pain, but I refuse to bare my butt to the world! Naw.... ain't gonna' happen! You'll just have to take my word for it.
01-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I'll gladly oblige with photos showing me wincing in pain, but I refuse to bare my butt to the world! Naw.... ain't gonna' happen! You'll just have to take my word for it.
Thank you!
01-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had that happen to me one night when I wandered down to the riverside to get some photos. I smashed my tripod to hell and back, and the camera itself snapped the tripod head from the impact. Luckily the camera was unharmed (and I wound up with photographic evidence of the spill to boot). I went down the next day and found the pieces of the tripod I couldn't find in the dark the night before - it was a complete loss (luckily it was a cheap Walmart tripod so I only lost about $30 in the mishap).

I'm really lucky I had the older, tougher primes in my bag because that made a nice, lobbing overhead arc before landing in a snowbank.

EDIT: Yes, this is a 13mm shot. Needless to say my mind was focused on saving the Sigma from destruction over everything else (including me) at the time.