Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Invitation to DPreviews Pentax DSLR Users

May I suggest, because I certainly cannot that all of the disgruntled Pentax DSLR users come to this wonderfully open, democratic, objective and reasonable site so that we can share information unencumbered by power politics..

OK..In an ideal world that is.

Anyone one to give it a go?

Just an idea.

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 02-02-2007 at 10:48 AM.
02-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #2

DPR certainly does have members with great knowledge and experience that everybody on this board can benefit from. Some of the people whose posts I closely followed on DPR already post here. There are a few that do not, yet, and I would be happy if they chose to start contributing here as well.

I am not sure how productive an open invitation for posters there to join this board will be. I think quite a few people there know about this site and will migrate here should they be truly interested. I myself registered at this site sometime back but have just recently decided to contribute at this site instead of DPR.

The atmosphere on this site is very refreshing. I really like the fact that the forum software is on par with all the other fora I participate in. Hell, I can even edit my posts... what MORE could one ask for, seriously?

I am quite certain that it will change, for the worse, if there is a mass influx of posters who are just curious about the "new, improved" Pentax forum and colour the posts here such that they look exactly like the ones at DPR.

By the way, sometime early this morning (on the West Coast of the US), the poster 'emem' started a thread where he was critical of Phil banning you and other people for trifles and others expressed similar views and wanted their "old forum back".

I suggested in that thread that it might not be very realistic to hope for that (cos rot sets in quick on internet fora) and that it might be better for the people that miss a useful exchange of ideas to contribute to this community instead.

I dropped by this morning to check if there was any further discussion. Lo and behold - thread deleted

Nikhil
02-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nixarma Quote
DPR certainly does have members with great knowledge and experience that everybody on this board can benefit from. Some of the people whose posts I closely followed on DPR already post here. There are a few that do not, yet, and I would be happy if they chose to start contributing here as well.

I am not sure how productive an open invitation for posters there to join this board will be. I think quite a few people there know about this site and will migrate here should they be truly interested. I myself registered at this site sometime back but have just recently decided to contribute at this site instead of DPR.

The atmosphere on this site is very refreshing. I really like the fact that the forum software is on par with all the other fora I participate in. Hell, I can even edit my posts... what MORE could one ask for, seriously?

I am quite certain that it will change, for the worse, if there is a mass influx of posters who are just curious about the "new, improved" Pentax forum and colour the posts here such that they look exactly like the ones at DPR.

By the way, sometime early this morning (on the West Coast of the US), the poster 'emem' started a thread where he was critical of Phil banning you and other people for trifles and others expressed similar views and wanted their "old forum back".

I suggested in that thread that it might not be very realistic to hope for that (cos rot sets in quick on internet fora) and that it might be better for the people that miss a useful exchange of ideas to contribute to this community instead.

I dropped by this morning to check if there was any further discussion. Lo and behold - thread deleted

Nikhil
Now, isn't THAT interesting....Freedom of expression, interesting misconception. Liberty of Speech? What is happening? C'est la Vie..
02-02-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

When Adam started the forum, he announced it on dpreview, that's how I found out about it.

But I guess it wouldn't hurt to periodically remind the dpreview Pentaxians who haven't already migrated that they are welcome to join.

I don't post much, but I was one of the early joiners to this forum, and it has grown significantly since it was launched, so maybe it is time to extend a fresh invitation.

If I ever visit dpreview again, perhaps I will do so. :-)

02-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
When Adam started the forum, he announced it on dpreview, that's how I found out about it.

But I guess it wouldn't hurt to periodically remind the dpreview Pentaxians who haven't already migrated that they are welcome to join.

I don't post much, but I was one of the early joiners to this forum, and it has grown significantly since it was launched, so maybe it is time to extend a fresh invitation.

As with MPrince I to came here the day Adam posted a thread on DPReview At the time I signed on here there was Adam, Ole, Buddha Jones, Photo mom, and carpenters, and myself. since then this forum has done nothing but grow. Most every one here came to the forum from DPR and have never looked back Some of us, myself included have been banned from DPR for disagreeing with Phil and his BS. To those of you who can still post on DPR feel free to post a message of welcome to our friends there, and Let them know there is a better alternative. But be prepared to be banned by Phil for being subversive.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
02-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I'm thinking an open invitation might not be good - but possibly a message listing out the other Pentax forum options out there to be read.

Would get people looking that wanted to look, without ticking others off I think.
02-02-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nixarma Quote
-snip-
I did the same and found the same. My wise words about blocking all of King Phil's ads were removed together with the rest of the thread.
No, Phil didn't like that thread at all and I can understand him. But what a sandbox!

--
Jonas
02-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I don't think we need to do anything at all. The word is going around anyway. If anything is done it should be subtle and neutral as ccallana describes it.

02-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
As with MPrince I to came here the day Adam posted a thread on DPReview At the time I signed on here there was Adam, Ole, Buddha Jones, Photo mom, and carpenters, and myself. since then this forum has done nothing but grow. Most every one here came to the forum from DPR and have never looked back Some of us, myself included have been banned from DPR for disagreeing with Phil and his BS. To those of you who can still post on DPR feel free to post a message of welcome to our friends there, and Let them know there is a better alternative. But be prepared to be banned by Phil for being subversive.

Good Shooting.
Agree with you David. Hey, I was right there with you guys in the begining
02-02-2007, 03:41 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccallana Quote
I'm thinking an open invitation might not be good - but possibly a message listing out the other Pentax forum options out there to be read.

Would get people looking that wanted to look, without ticking others off I think.
Users generally like those, but I'm not sure about Phil...

I'm glad that you're all staying here and enjoying the site, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it imporve and grow bigger than DPR's board

Thanks!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I would broadcast as well then :)

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote

Interestingly, I was onto several dpreview posts where I was kind of being smoothly pushed into registering other pentax sites without knowing!! Every flourishing pentax site is using DPR as a jumpin board to boost their own membership at present...

The funny thing was that I was banned there once and I did not even know that I was banned temporarily until few months later. LOL It was such an effective ban.

I will basicly keep referring things to the thread in this site. It would be great.

I know people have the tendency to click on things to see what would be brought up - curiosity by nature.
02-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Agree with you David. Hey, I was right there with you guys in the beginning
Sorry Pat I did forget you and a few others, but the feelings are the same We switched to this forum with hopes that it would never turn into the dog and pony show that Phil calls a forum. I would say if you know some one who isn't a member here then please by all means offer them an invitation and hope they make a good choice.
We here on this forum have something that DPR doesn't have, We have Mods and an admin that keep regular watch and take care of any problems that come up very quickly and we have the original members that know what direction the forum will take in the future. We have people that have their heads screwed on tight (And yes there is some arguments at times but nothing that can't be resolved or forgotten) this is what makes this forum so much more enjoyable. Plus the fact the way this forum is laid out (how nice it is to be able to find the right topic to post in instead of a mishmash of posts that have nothing to say.

Anyway to all of our members I say thank you for making this a very nice place to come and enjoy the fun of our hobby and profession.

Good shooting.
02-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

careful you might get banned for promoting another site ...LoL

found this site via dpr, and was practically shocked with the rubbish that went on in there in the weeks leading up to the k10's release.

horrible.

didnt have time to deal with that foolishness and sort through all the good and the bad posts, so I just jumeped ship, found myself a nice little corner here, and settled in....
02-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Again...Let It Be

Good song that.

I think this is better "just" left to natural causes. To actively promote may well attract an element that is not actually wanted.

Most people are not stupid and will work it out for themselves.

This forum is rapidly becoming all the good things dpr Pentax DSLR talk used to be. Better to let it crawl for awhile before encouraging it to walk...neverless run (which it will do in its own good time).

Cheers
Grant
02-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The one motivator for me to revisit DPR are the range of photo challenges. I enjoy trying to make something of a random image selected by date or number and participate when I can. If these became available here and they were 'quietly' no longer maintained or supported in the other place the transition would be complete.

If compiling a list of foundation memebers please add my name to the list and yes I followed the link Adam posted at DPR.