Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I agree.
Do you live in Houston metro? I am yet to meet a Pentax shooter. Akways Canikon and Sony.

Concerning tunnels: when I first moved here I was excited to hear about underground tunnels then was a bit disappointed. Coming from nyc I expected busy underground.

02-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by meddoc101 Quote
Do you live in Houston metro? I am yet to meet a Pentax shooter. Akways Canikon and Sony.

Concerning tunnels: when I first moved here I was excited to hear about underground tunnels then was a bit disappointed. Coming from nyc I expected busy underground.
I'm South of Houston. Closer to Galveston.

The first time someone told me about the tunnels, I pictured NY Subways like what you see on TV here. We went down there and I was
02-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #18

I'm South of Houston. Closer to Galveston.

The first time someone told me about the tunnels, I pictured NY Subways like what you see on TV here. We went down there and I was
Lol. Then you know how I feel. I came from New York and know the subways well.

South of Houston, Good.I have been to most of the surrounding area from Pearland, to Galveston. Good to finally be in contact with 1 Pentax shooter in the area. Lol. We are rare here even though there is alot of photography happening.
02-06-2015, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #19

Spent a bit of time in Dallas late October just gone, missed the state fair by a week or two. Temps were into the 60's Fahrenheit on average, enough to keep us Brits in t-shirts and the locals in light jackets.

Some good street art and sculpture around Deep Ellum:

Mobile phone selfie alert!

Another bit of sculpture in Downtown:

And the 'Glory Window' of Thanksgiving Chapel is worth a visit:

Pioneer Plaza was also worth a look, no photos online of that yet.

02-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by digitalCG Quote
Spent a bit of time in Dallas late October just gone, missed the state fair by a week or two. Temps were into the 60's Fahrenheit on average, enough to keep us Brits in t-shirts and the locals in light jackets.

Those are all excellent and what I would like to shoot (among other things).
02-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a native Texan, my choices would be Ft Worth (Stockyards) after visiting Dealy Plaza in Dallas.....I personally wouldn't linger too long in Dallas, the Stockyards beat most all of Dallas.

I'm not all that familiar with Houston, but Galveston is fantastic and it's just down the road from Houston.....you will like Galveston!

The Crown Jewel has got to be San Antonio! Best city in Texas, friendly people, sights galore, and food that is unbelievably good...and cheap! Lots of old Missions to visit, the Downtown Riverwalk is famous worldwide, and of course the Spurs play in their new arena there.

My son lives there and we visit fairly often...don't have many shots but here are a few.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35763648@N05/sets/72157633892918853/

It is a vibrant and "alive" city, one you don't want to miss! If you are driving, the best route is after you leave Ft Worth go west about 60 miles and take Hwy 281 South which goes all the way into San Antone....and is a very good hwy and scenic. We always go that way instead of the Interstate.....much less traffic and tons more nice scenery. It lets you miss Austin, which can save you a lot of time because traffic in Austin is horrendous night or day. Unless of course, you want to see Austin....a lovely place, but nothing compared to San Antone!

Mail me if you take the 281 route...you will go right through my town...I'll buy you lunch/dinner! You know we have those delicious big Chicken Fried Steaks here!

Regards!
02-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by digitalCG Quote

Mobile phone selfie alert!

Another bit of sculpture in Downtown:

And the 'Glory Window' of Thanksgiving Chapel is worth a visit:

Pioneer Plaza was also worth a look, no photos online of that yet.

All super images! And for SpecialK, all within the downtown area. Deep Ellum is to the east of downtown. The stainless steel statue is between the Latino Cultural Center and Deep Ellum along the DART light rail green line. If you go to the Sixth Floor Museum, just take the DART green line from there to the east and you'll be at Deep Ellum.

Thanksgiving Chapel is more within the core of downtown, just a stop or two east of Sixth Floor Museum. It was designed by Phillip Johnson and the stained glass panels in the spiral roof were designed by Gabriel Loire of Chartres.

If you doing that, you might as well get back on the green line and go all the way to Fair Park (just a couple miles), one of the largest collections of Art Deco buildings in the USA.

So, along the rail line, Sixth Floor Museum -- Thanksgiving Park and Chapel -- Deep Ellum -- Fair Park all on the green line.

02-06-2015, 04:08 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote

So, along the rail line, Sixth Floor Museum -- Thanksgiving Park and Chapel -- Deep Ellum -- Fair Park all on the green line.
I likely will try for all those :-)

---------- Post added 02-06-15 at 05:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Downtown Riverwalk...

...It lets you miss Austin, which can save you a lot of time because traffic in Austin is horrendous night or day. Unless of course, you want to see Austin....a lovely place, but nothing compared to San Antone!
I think the Riverwalk will be good for people shots, if it is reasonable weather...

I'm from Southern California, so traffic is my middle name :-)
02-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Watch these episodes of the towns you want to visit:

The Daytripper | with Chet Garner

Then, watch the Galveston episode.

Galveston, TX | The Daytripper

mmmmmmmm... soft shell crabs....
02-06-2015, 09:16 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
mmmmmmmm... soft shell crabs....
No seafood, thank you!

Thanks for the link.

Hope I don't get sick because non-refundable airplane reservations are made. Oct 24-31....boy howdy!

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-06-2015 at 09:23 PM.
02-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Oct 24-31....boy howdy!
Texas Renaissance Festival | Renaissance Festival Events in Texas | Texas Fairs and Festivals
02-07-2015, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Texas is a big place, but most anywhere you go here will have some very interesting sights and adventures to explore. Most of the best places are not too "touristy" which makes it even more enjoyable. I'm sure you will have a great time!
People are friendly, the weather is generally great, and prices are reasonable ...plenty to like here!

Nowadays it is easy to do an internet search and find all you need to make sure you don't miss a thing!

Regards!
02-14-2015, 10:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I am planning a Texas vacation, late October. Hopefully it will be relatively cool then...
That is a nice time to be here! It will probably be in the low 80s or high 70s--it's very nice! Just don't come here in July. Or August. We have three seasons in Houston: summer, July, and August. One thing I will say is that at least the weather is consistent...it's 95º every day. Ok, that's not accurate. On days it's not 95º, it's 97º or 98º. September is hot too, but it's more bearable. But you need not worry about all this as you will be here in October, when it's wonderful!

If you like museums, the museum district is very nice. The MFA is good but not spectacular if you like art. One hidden gem if you like history is the Battle of San Jacinto monument. The Space Center, of course, is fun. And if you want a tour with a bit more explanation of it, I may know a few things about space. (Check my occupation in my profile and figure out where in Houston I work.)

Unfortunately, you'll miss the Wings over Houston airshow by a week. It's Oct 17-18 this year. It's a pretty neat show that features the Blue Angels--see my photos here!

When you visit Houston (and Dallas), plan you day around the traffic. It's never good but certain times are total disasters. You don't want to be on the road at those times. You will sit for hours. It may be worse here than in LA. Houston has expanded a lot faster than the roads in the past 20 years. It's a lot like Atlanta in that regard. LA has its 6-lanes-in-each-direction highways. We only have 3 or 4 and need 6. :/

QuoteQuote:
In College Station you can see the Presidential Library. If you've never been, why not.
LBJ's is about halfway between Austin and San Antonio as well.

Last edited by MadMathMind; 02-14-2015 at 10:08 PM.
02-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote

Battle of San Jacinto monument. The Space Center, of course, is fun.

When you visit Houston (and Dallas), plan you day around the traffic.
I will check into the BoSJ monument. I plan to get the behind-the-scenes tour at the space center, but it is too early to get tickets...I will be staying on the outskirts of the cities but will have to foray into them of course. Particularly into downtown Houston at 7:30AM on a Friday...(the Chase tower) on my way out...
02-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I live in San Antonio. Lots of good suggestions already. As mentioned by others, a lot depends on your interests. October is a great time to visit.

Places I've visited that I really enjoyed:
Texas State Capitol - Austin (beautiful architecture and distinct pink granite)
Drive along Hwy 360 (aka Capitol of Texas Highway) on west side of Austin (very picturesque)
Zilker Park - Austin
Texas Hill Country - Austin, San Antonio, I-35 all are situated on the eastern edge (very scenic with many interesting sites/visits)
Aquarena - San Marcos (it's actually the former site of Aquarena and now belongs to Texas State University)
Gruene (old, small German town on northwest side of New Braunfels)
Pedernales Falls State Park - beautiful natural scenery and impressive geologic formations
Drive along Hwy 281 - very scenic and much more relaxing than I-35
Alamo - San Antonio (lots of history, but I'd suggest visiting on a weekday for smaller crowds)
River Walk - San Antonio (same as Alamo - visit during week)
Missions - Alamo is the most famous one, but the others are underrated gems (esp. San Jose and Concepcion)
Natural Bridge Caverns - near New Braunfels
Bandera - small town in Hill Country ("Cowboy Capital")
NASA - Houston (very impressive!)
San Jacinto Battlefield/Monument - very rich in history, but be aware that it's surrounded by chemical plants (industrial area) USS Texas Battleship is also there (very interesting)
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - south side of Austin

Places I have not yet visited, but plan to visit:
Fredericksburg (old German town in Hill Country)
Enchanted Rock (picturesque geologic formation near Fredericksburg)
Hamilton Pool Preserve - near Dripping Springs (southwest of Austin)
Gonzales - small town between San Antonio and Houston (important site in Texas history)
Galveston - I've heard a lot of nice things