Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Things to do - Dallas, San Antonio, Houston?

I am planning a Texas vacation, late October. Hopefully it will be relatively cool then...

Thinking about flying to D-FW, then driving Dallas --> San Antonio --> Houston --> Dallas. Dropping off the car in Houston adds about $800, so returning to D-FW is best economically, as is the airfair.

The big things I want to see are Dealey Plaza and the 6th Floor museum, the Alamo, and the Houston space center. And a some famous graves...

I'm figuring a couple days in each location, so what other sightseeing things are out there, besides the funeral business museum? Not sure if the Branch Davidian remnants outside Waco are accessible (I'm guessing not). Not really into theme parks.

I'd like to stay close to that triangle.

Thanks for your thoughts.

02-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
rws

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I am planning a Texas vacation, late October. Hopefully it will be relatively cool then...

Thinking about flying to D-FW, then driving Dallas --> San Antonio --> Houston --> Dallas. Dropping off the car in Houston adds about $800, so returning to D-FW is best economically, as is the airfair.

The big things I want to see are Dealey Plaza and the 6th Floor museum, the Alamo, and the Houston space center. And a some famous graves...

I'm figuring a couple days in each location, so what other sightseeing things are out there, besides the funeral business museum? Not sure if the Branch Davidian remnants outside Waco are accessible (I'm guessing not). Not really into theme parks.

The first thing that comes to my mind would have to suggest a jaunt through hill country just west of Austin/San Antonio. It's probably the best looking part of the state you will be in and very chill. If you like barbeque, beer, blues or any kind of country you will probably be able to find something good. I'm not big into the usual tourist spots. I've never been to the 6th floor museum despite living near it my whole life.

I guess it depends on what you're into, though...

If you like sports, October would be a good time to catch quite just about any major team. Football fans from opposing teams seem to flood Cowboys games, I think people are still enjoying the novelty of the ridiculously huge stadium. The best deal is probably Stars games.

Austin probably has the best night/music options of the cities you will be in.

If you like butter sculptures and paying too much money to eat fried garbage, you'll be here in time for the Texas State Fair. The last time I went, I think I saw Bel Biv Devoe, which was... something. Then the Scientologists wanted to adjust my thetans and GM wanted to sell me a car.

I've never looked for the Branch Davidian compound, but I think much of it was burned down. In my experience, October in Waco is mostly a bunch of dead crickets and bird poop.

I remember really liking the Umlauf Sculpture Garden in Austin, and if you have any kids, the new Perot Museum in Dallas is great. The Dallas Museum of Art, the Nasher Sculpture Center, and the Crow Collection of Asian Art are all right in one spot, so it would be easy to see all three in one afternoon.

PS- I don't know how many times I have looked over some of your for sale listings for limited lenses. I just can't talk myself into buying another lens (because I've already bought too damn many lately).
02-05-2015, 10:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rws Quote
dead crickets and bird poop.
Thanks for that. I may step lightly around Waco.

All the rest of my K-mount lenses and K5 will be listed, after a group meet-up in a couple weeks. Look for more :-)
02-05-2015, 11:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

This is my neck of the woods. If you are coming around please let me know. It all depends on what kind of thing you like or want to do.

---------- Post added 02-06-15 at 12:43 AM ----------

Here are my impressions after growing up around here. Dallas I don't know much about to be honest. But Houston has a FANTASTIC food scene. One of the best in the entire USA if you are adventurous in your dining. If you are looking for white table cloth places we have those, but we also have a ton of hole in the wall, best food you've ever eaten places too. I can't tell you how many places I have been in where no one speaks English but I ate like a KING. Houston also has a big league arts scene. Symphonies and art galleries and such... yeah... more than most other places you've ever been. It's not a real big touristy place though. It's a very conservative city. That said a lot of people go to gun ranges and rent guns that they can't or don't get to shoot in other places. It is Texas after all. You do have sports. I am not sure if that's soccer season but they have everything from professional rugby to professional soccer to all sorts of stuff going on. I personally hit up Polo Tournaments. They have them every Sunday (provided good weather) at certain times of the year (October is on the list). It's a really good time and open to the public.

Austin is by far the most 'hip' place in the state. If you want to see a spectacle of all spectacles go to ANY UT Austin home football game. You don't even have to go to the game. The tailgate party is fun just by it's self.You will be hooked once you see our state sport (beer drinking, bbq, and football) all converge into one heck of a big party. It covers about 25 city blocks. 6th street is stuff of legend. YEEEEAAAH. Full of party animals in a big way. The music scene is one of the best in the world. (I mean that literally)

Austin is a very out doorsy place. You can find a friendly game of soccer or frisbee or whatever to join in on in just about any park in town. I definitely would go to Austin. It's the most 'fun' city in Texas. You can tour the capital building and all sorts of stuff too.

In College Station you can see the Presidential Library. If you've never been, why not.

San Antonio is not really my favorite place. The riverwalk is about all there is. The Alamo is cool. There are other historic places around.

If you want historical places there are a whole TON of things to see.

It really just depends on what kind of things you like to see and do. One thing I like is water ski tournaments. They hold big ones and they are a ton of fun. In October if you plan it right they are having the Collegiate National Championships in Cypress (Houston). Last year they held National Championships for the pros down around San Marcos. The collegiate one should still be a lot of fun and your camera will get a work out if you want.

Your best bet is to find events of things going on, depending on what it is that you like and see 'sights' in between.

I can think of a number of other things to do/try but I am not trying to bore you with brutal details.

02-06-2015, 06:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If you're going to Houston, you may as well keep on going down to Galveston.

Also, near San Antonio / Austin - Check out Pedernales Falls, Longhorn Cavern and Natural Bridge Caverns.
02-06-2015, 07:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Galveston.
I had thought about the airplane museum there. I will check out the other tips. Thanks!

---------- Post added 02-06-15 at 08:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
food scene
Ha - I've already got a spare tire or two if you now what I mean. I will investigate Austin :-)
02-06-2015, 07:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Stockyards in Fort Worth is good for cowboy scenery and great BBQ restaurants.
Austin is a fun city to explore.
Houston - too close to New Orleans...

02-06-2015, 08:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I had thought about the airplane museum there. I will check out the other tips. Thanks!
Cannot visit the airplane museum without stopping off at the railroad museum too.

Then, go have lunch at Benno's Cajun Seafood or Shrimp N' Stuff.

Oh, and if you come at the end of October, you can catch the Lone Star Motorcycle Rally.
02-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #9

You have many options

I live in Houston and explore alot.

Houston: Hermann park opened a new garden and it's breathtaking. Houston's skyline is very interesting. Also you can go to tallest building in Texas and take amazing photos. Houston also have lots of urban art. Each place in Houston is like towns with their own character and things to do. George observatory outside Houston allows fantastic milky way shots in a park filled with wildlife including crocodiles. Fred Hartman Bridge is amazing to shoot. I would not mind showing you around as I alwaya like meeting and shooting with new people especially Pentaxians as I cant find any in Houston.

Austin: Hamilton pool, graffiti park, state Capitol (very camera friendly), PennyBacker Bridge, MT. Bonnell. Just to name a few. Lots to shoot there.

San Antonio: Riverwalk and Alamo (no photos inside :-()

Dallas: Never been.

Hope this helps.
02-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by meddoc101 Quote
I live in Houston and explore alot.
Ever been in the underground tunnels?

Downtown Houston
02-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In Dallas, I'd say the two not-to-miss sights are the Sixth Floor Museum and the Nasher Sculpture Garden.

I avoided the Sixth Floor Museum for some time, as I just couldn't imagine Dallas really doing a decent job on the Kennedy assassination, due to the city's continual attempts to distance themselves from being associated. I was only hurting myself, as when I finally went, I was amazed at the quality of the exhibits and recorded tour. I was alive and watched the entire series of events play out on television as a kid. I can honestly say that the Sixth Floor Museum does a fine job of setting you back into that era and accurately portraying events and attitudes. (The city did all it could to make the 50th anniversary of the assassination a low key event. The weather cooperated with a cold hard rain.)

The Nasher Sculpture Garden is simply one of the finest collections of contemporary art in the world. With the high-rise buildings around it, the beautiful grounds, and the artworks/sculptures, it is really a great place. Ray Nasher arguably had the largest, most prestigious collection of contemporary artworks in the world. The Trammel-Crow Asian Art collection is nearby.

Dallas City Hall was designed by I.M. Pei. I don't like it, personally, but it is a world famous architect. (I think the conical white flagpoles bear too much of a resemblence to KKK hoods, for one thing.)

The Margaret Hunt Hill bridge is a Calatrava design. Yes, the city bargained him down into a cheaper version, but that's that as well.

The Latino Cultural Center was designed by Legorreta & Legorreta of Mexico. Again, the city trimmed the size because they chintzed the budget, but it's interesting set of shapes against the Dallas skyline.

Since you'll be downtown, you may be interested in the newly converted to pedestrian traffic only bridge across the Trinity River. On the far side of the levee from downtown, there are a lot of skyline vistas which might be appealing.

If you're a flower, plant, nature photographer, you may enjoy the Dallas Arboretum on the shores of White Rock Lake, but it's a drive from downtown.

I know it sounds completely silly to recommend that a vacationer visit a mall, of all places, but the Northpark Mall contains several of Ray Nasher's collection of contemporary art sculptures. These are world-famous original works, located where people can walk right up and touch them. If you need to do any shopping, it is a short drive north from downtown. Clean, modern architecture lines, use of natural lighting to reduce energy consumption, a step above other malls in many ways. Again, if you haven't been there, it sounds ridiculous, but I'm just sayin.... you might be surprised.

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 02-06-2015 at 12:31 PM.
02-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Give me a call and lets go shooting photos. Im 45 min away from San Antonio.
02-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Ever been in the underground tunnels?

Downtown Houston
Yes. My wife works in Pennzoil Place. I think it has so much potential. I wish they would do more to develop it. Could be a major attraction.
02-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by meddoc101 Quote
I think it has so much potential. I wish they would do more to develop it. Could be a major attraction.
I agree.
02-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will investigate Austin :-)
I went to grad school at UT-Austin. It is a wonderful city, and definitely worth a visit! Such amazing food and outstanding live music. Late October should be really nice weather in Texas!

Some outdoor recommendations: Town Lake (also called Lady Bird Lake) - there's a nice walking path and you can also rent a canoe/boat and paddle around the lake and up/down the Colorado River

-Zilker Park (along with Barton Springs Pool)