Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Computer needed for sister

Hi,
I was wondering if you all can recommend a computer for my sister. I've really had great luck with HP and was going to recommend to her to get something like an HP with 17 inch monitor quad core something (I have AMD not sure if you have to get pentium or not). The hard drive is not important (I am convincing her to not use the internal hard drive for storage just work in process and to then back up stuff to two different places). The memory can be upgraded easily so that is not important (I recommend to her 12-16GB).

The primary focus for her is photography (photoshop and lightroom) and possibly video (not sure if she has software yet I use the adobe something I think). She will also use it for general business stuff (she does not need a gaming system).

Can you guys recommend something?

Thanks.

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 09:32 AM ----------

I have an HP Pavilion 15 with AMD A6-5200 and Radeon HD graphics 12 GB memory. I have no trouble doing video and photo work. It was under $300. My sister is willing to spend a little more to get a lot better.

02-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I'll keep my recommendations very general

CPU, right now I would recommend an Intel i5

Graphics, whatever

RAM, 8 or above

Most importantly and not as you stated not important is the hard drive. For video work with external storage I would without doubt recommend a SSD hard drive to keep videoprojects currently under construction, and once finished move to external storage. The SSD will give more speed per $$ than anything else when it comes to large amounts of data. Also since it is so fast you can use it as a RAM swap without losing performance.
02-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
HP Envy looks to be the way to go (???)

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 11:07 AM ----------

Thanks. Is the i7 no good? I might recommend to her the SSD internal drive from day one. I have had one before on my last laptop and it was VERY fast.
02-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #4

I Liked Acers/Samsung Because of their beautiful displays. But ive heard decent things about the envys. are you doing a desktop or laptop?

02-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is to be a laptop.
02-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Hmm... I was going to say get a Mac Mini but since you said she is looking for a laptop then a PC/Windows machine may be more economical.
02-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
HP Envy looks to be the way to go (???)

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 11:07 AM ----------

Thanks. Is the i7 no good? I might recommend to her the SSD internal drive from day one. I have had one before on my last laptop and it was VERY fast.

i7 is fine, but be aware that for laptops, i5 is dual core without Hyperthreading. i7 is dual or quad core with Hyperthreading.

I would go for an i7 either way. They usually have more on-die cache.

How much exactly is she looking to spend?

A good Intel based system is going to be a decent amount more than an AMD APU based system like you have.

The AMD APU based systems are generally going to have a lot better graphics processor as well, but the CPU itself with not be as fast.

Look at the Dell and HP outlet (refurb and returns) stores as well as do a search for Dell and HP coupon codes. You can sometimes get a really, really good deal.
02-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're partial to HP, drop into your local Staples. They have some deals going. Ours had a couple of desktops for under $400.

02-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I buy dell outlet. Go and sign up and within a couple of days you get emails with codes. I buy scratch and dent, 4 so far! but their refurbs are good deals too. I got my son an XPS12 with the flippy screen for 30% off and 3 year drops and spills warranty
02-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have had an i7 desktop for years now. No issues - knock on wood!
02-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
i7 is fine, but be aware that for laptops, i5 is dual core without Hyperthreading. i7 is dual or quad core with Hyperthreading.
The i3/i5/i7 all have hyperthreading. The i3 doesn't turbo. The i7 has more cache and slightly higher clockspeeds. the i7 xxxxq is quadcore with hyperthreading.
I would recommend either an i5 dual or an i7 quad-core, since the slight bump in clockspeed/cache on the dual-core i7 isn't worth it unless the price difference isn't significant.

if your budget is high enough:
for photo work I'd recommend looking for something with greater than 1366x768 resolution and an IPS panel
the higher resolution display will help significantly when working with relatively high megapixel images from cameras.

I would also recommend an SSD for general use if the budget is high enough, along with an internal or external HDD for file storage.

http://dealnews.com/c49/Computers/Laptops/
dealnews is a pretty good place to search for laptop deals, since they have a section dedicated to them.

There's an Acer for ~$400 and several Lenovo Z-series that are ~$550 that seem pretty nicely spec'd. The Acer will require more RAM though.

Last edited by fralexandr; 02-13-2015 at 05:56 PM.
02-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi,
I was wondering if you all can recommend a computer for my sister. I've really had great luck with HP and was going to recommend to her to get something like an HP with 17 inch monitor quad core something (I have AMD not sure if you have to get pentium or not). The hard drive is not important (I am convincing her to not use the internal hard drive for storage just work in process and to then back up stuff to two different places). The memory can be upgraded easily so that is not important (I recommend to her 12-16GB).

The primary focus for her is photography (photoshop and lightroom) and possibly video (not sure if she has software yet I use the adobe something I think). She will also use it for general business stuff (she does not need a gaming system).

Can you guys recommend something?

Thanks.

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 09:32 AM ----------

I have an HP Pavilion 15 with AMD A6-5200 and Radeon HD graphics 12 GB memory. I have no trouble doing video and photo work. It was under $300. My sister is willing to spend a little more to get a lot better.
I have an Intel i5-3570K overclocked to 4.5 GHz, 16 GB of RAM, and a bunch of hard drives. Basically I'd recommend the same.

I doubt she will overclock, so a standard i5 or i7 should do it, depending on the budget. Make sure that the 16 GB of RAM don't use all the available slots, otherwise upgrading will be, hard.

Graphics card I would at the moment not get any. If she wants to do video, she may want something with HEVC support, and so far that seems to be missing from the current graphics cards. And for everything else the integrated one in the Intel CPU is fine.

And SSD... very, very important. I don't have an SSD in my computer right now (that's the next upgrade), but my old office computer, which was mostly used for Photoshop, InDesign, Cinema4D, ... graphics stuff basically, that one had an SSD. And boy did it make a difference!

Ah... now I see that you mean a laptop. Oh my. Those aren't as fast, but the same things sort of apply. I would look for the screen quality too, there are some huge differences. I quite like the Microsoft Surface 3 Pro actually, it has a brilliant screen, great image quality, it's a proper graphics tablet, etc.
02-16-2015, 05:40 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think she wants a MacBook pro. Just push the button and it works.
02-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I think she wants a MacBook pro. Just push the button and it works.
Until it doesn't.

Have you ever seen a Macbook with a corrupted file system? Good luck figuring out where to go and the command to run in order to do a file system scan to fix it. And there is nothing really to be able to diagnose what is really wrong.

The symptom is that everything just opens up super slow and stuff saves files super slow.

Apple will just tell you to wipe and start over from scratch, even though there is a way to fix it.
03-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My sister did get a MacBook pro. My aunt has one as well.

I have a question still. The MacBook Air. Does it come with photo editing and calendar maker built in ?

( my aunts did)