I've owned and worn them for years; they're the best! 411.11%
Are you kidding, I wouldn't be caught dead in them! 25.56%
What the heck is he talking about? 3083.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Calling all Blundstone wearers - or not.

Love 'em - hate 'em - WTH are they? Tell me what you think.

05-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For the uninformed, they make footware - specifically boots. I think they are big in the 'down-under'.

Since you're from Canada, what's wrong with Sorrels? Aren't they still Canadian made?
05-31-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Blundstones - the poor man's RM's. That's RM Williams, a steely-eyed stockman, gimlet-eyed leather worker, and, according to the guy I lived next to in school and worked for RM, crazy, catheter-wielding man who would still tear-arse up private roads despite not being able to see more than three feet in front of him.

Of course, it's a different culture. RM's are big with the cockies, Blundstones are our Dr. Martens. RM's will apparently last decades. They have become, like Leica or Rolex, something more than the sum of their parts, a lifestyle symbol (whether true or not) as they start at about $300 a pair. My brother begged and pleaded Dad for some when he was fifteen. Dad couldn't stand it, because he can't stand cockies, either.

Of course, if you're that rare breed of person who actually has to work in Australian Work Boots - just as the majority of dive watches sold go to people who've never been past two fathoms - you'd choose neither. You'd probably go for Redbacks. 'Cause they're cheaper.

Think I had a pair as a kid. Maybe. I know I had an Akubra (that the bloody dog chewed up.)

Me? I've got a pair of Macks. That brother of mine calls them goth boots. I tell him that just means I've got the right amount of chromosomes.
05-31-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Oh, and keep in mind, I'm one of the few Aussies who actually grew up west of the Great Divide.

Where the real Australia starts. Where I'd find the world's second most poisonous land snake in the world in the one day as I was bludging school.

Good times, good times.

05-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Glad to see you survived the snake scare.

RM Williams is to Leica ...

...as Blundstone is to Pentax.

There ya have it - I am second class all the way!

As I was slipping on my boots my friend says, "I hope I never get so old as to have to wear those boots!" Ta hell with him - I like me 'Blunies'.
05-31-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Eh, was nothing. Happened all the time. My mum killed it - the best bit was, as part of her job she was showing the new, fresh-from-uni locum around town, and stopped by to decapitate the snake. It was only a baby.

Blunnies aren't bad. I spose in the broad scheme of things, they are the poor man's RMs, but if you narrow it down to get a bit more accurate, the real poor-man's RMs are Baxters. They made from one piece of leather, like the RMs, with a single seam up the back.

My bro does still wear his RMs, but more for style than any practical purpose. The "traditional" style ones are the most "fashionable" I suppose - leather soles, calf leather, that sort of thing, but have long been replace by more practical stuff like PU soles and oxhide leather. Better grip, cheaper.

But seeing as how the "low-end" RMs are still a bit more expensive than Baxters, Blunnies, Rossis or Redbacks, there's not really much of a point buying them for work if you're at the coalface - a jack- or jillaroo, etc. But still, some'll buy 'em because it's the thing to have, dammit, and RMs do last a bloody long time.

I suppose if I were pressed, I'd get the RM Craftsmans in kangaroo leather, the strongest leather for its weight in the world. I've got a belt made from it. It's excellent.

Do like my lace-up Macks. The trick is to keep them polished - that way, no bouncer suspects you of wearing steel-toed boots.
05-31-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

*blink* what about things like.. Merrells, keens, columbias... rocky mountain footwear...?

blundstone? RM Williams? Mack? you all are talking tongues!

05-31-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We'll have to get these guys to spend a winter in northern NY so they can learn why they make boots.
05-31-2008, 07:51 PM   #9

The three choices aren't allowing me to answer accurately.
I have and often wear a pair of Blundstone boots, my answer lies between A and B.
Silly polar opposite type questions are not reflective of the real world.
Things are not usually pure black or pure white, they exist somewhere along a grey scale in between.
This seems as silly as Ford VS Holden, Canon VS Nikon, etc.

Last edited by pw-pix; 05-31-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: typo
06-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pw-pix Quote
The three choices aren't allowing me to answer accurately.
I have and often wear a pair of Blundstone boots, my answer lies between A and B.
Silly polar opposite type questions are not reflective of the real world.
Things are not usually pure black or pure white, they exist somewhere along a grey scale in between.
This seems as silly as Ford VS Holden, Canon VS Nikon, etc.
Well, it was intended to be a bit silly; definitely not for scientific statistical analysis. Thanks for your opinion.
06-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #11

Hmmm I guess something I wear at times is an imitation, it looks like them but says 'Cole Haan'
06-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
RM Williams is to Leica ...

...as Blundstone is to Pentax.
For a non-Aussie, you've used a pretty good analogy. I wear my R M Williams when I go out; the Blundstones are my work boots, the ones I use when I need to get the job done.

They are not equivalents, in spite of both being Aussie boots. Different in purpose, design, quality, comfort, appearance, history, and definitely price.

Both are damn fine boots though...
06-01-2008, 06:30 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have to wear large, uncomfortable, heavy steel-toed and soled, sh!t-kickers to work. I wear the Blundstones away from home and Crocs around the house and garden. It would be a dream if I could wear Blundstones to work, they are very light and comfy.

I just had a look at the RM Williams site and I like what I see! I doubt if I would find them on this side of the planet, though. Those 'Stock Agent' boots look mighty fine. Now to change LBA to BBA - Boot Buying Addiction!
06-02-2008, 04:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
We'll have to get these guys to spend a winter in northern NY so they can learn why they make boots.
And so the great Pentax forums boot war began...
06-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
And so the great Pentax forums boot war began...
definition:

Boots, noun: things used to keep the snowshoes firmly attached to your feet.