Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Postage of Lithium Batteries by air now banned

I just tried to post a camera to another Pentax Forums member today and was told that as of this year, postage of any lithium batteries by air is now banned.

Australia Post guidelines:
Dangerous & prohibited items - Australia Post

Two airlines ban rechargeable batteries from cargo

This means that if you wish to post someone an old digital camera, you would first have to remove the batteries. This is obviously not economic, as replacement batteries will usually cost more than the value of the old camera.

03-03-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

saw this on the news tonite...as I understand it is in regards to bulk shipment on li batteries not single batteries.... or no phones, laptops, etc would be allowed to fly that wouldn't be good for business
03-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

We've had this issue in the US for a year or two. It takes some special labeling and particular taping of all edges of the box (not just a strip across it) etc. just to travel by ground.
03-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
saw this on the news tonite...as I understand it is in regards to bulk shipment on li batteries not single batteries.... or no phones, laptops, etc would be allowed to fly that wouldn't be good for business
In the US, they were banned from mailing by air at all (years ago), then they made an exception for one or two batteries in a package or a battery that was installed in the equipment that uses it (so you could send a phone or a camera with a battery in it). I think they were still banned for international shipments. And now this year the rules have again changed to I don't know what. Seems like they are trying to get some international synchronization...

03-04-2015, 03:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
This means that if you wish to post someone an old digital camera, you would first have to remove the batteries. (
It just means that they have to go by road, not air.
03-04-2015, 03:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, but I was trying to send it to the USA.
03-04-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Yes, but I was trying to send it to the USA.
It will have to go by "surface" shipment, which includes by sea and by land.

03-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
It will have to go by "surface" shipment, which includes by sea and by land.

But some post offices no longer offer surface shipping to some countries. e.g. I was not able to find a USPS price to surface post to Australia. And Australia Post does not offer surface to quite a lot of countries - even countries with significant sea trade shipping with Australia - so ships are sailing there every few days carrying other cargo.
03-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi Calsan,
I see off brand Li50 batteries for the K10d here for as low as about $11. One $13 comes with a charger.

I have been using off brand in the Olympus and the Pentax K-01 for quite a while now along with the originals, they seem OK
03-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

What are modern batteries made of? Say the one for the K3? Or a Wasabi battery?

I thought lithium was used in all sorts of modern batteries?
03-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
In the US, they were banned from mailing by air at all (years ago), then they made an exception for one or two batteries in a package or a battery that was installed in the equipment that uses it (so you could send a phone or a camera with a battery in it). I think they were still banned for international shipments. And now this year the rules have again changed to I don't know what. Seems like they are trying to get some international synchronization...
In the last 3 months I have tried to get K3 rechargeable batteries from China via Hong Kong from 2 different suppliers neither one showed up. One refunded the other is trying to re-ship. I am waiting. During the same time period I received 3 batteries from N Y USA no problem partially by air post I'm sure. Last summer I got a deal on 80 Energizer lithium ultras again from the USA partially Air Post came no problem.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 03-04-2015 at 09:43 PM.
03-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
What are modern batteries made of? Say the one for the K3? Or a Wasabi battery?

I thought lithium was used in all sorts of modern batteries?

That is exactly the problem. Lithium batteries are very high energy per unit mass which makes them desirable in many products. They are also high energy for volume, again good. But if short circuited, which can accidentally happen under all manner of circumstances they have very high current leading to high temperature and fires. The 787 groundings wire related to that bad characteristic. I believe that once stated a fire in a Li battery is impossible to extinguish.