Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

what avenues of selling old gear do you prefer?

Hi all,

Broadly, do you prefer selling things privately vs. turning them in to marketplaces like KEH.com? What about local camera shops? I have never tried to sell camera equipment before and am wondering if the community has a strong preference based on experience.

Also, for items that need repair, is it generally best to list them privately? For example, I have a Nikon D80 in otherwise great shape except that the LCD is showing an "Err" message and it's no longer taking photos. I don't know what the issue is or how much it would cost to repair. Can I just list it as a 'parts' camera and sell it privately? Is there a way to determine a fair price for a non-functioning item?

Thanks!

03-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I sell mostly on eBay, just because of the Worldwide audience. For some reason, the Chinese market will pay Top Dollar for the old M42 mount lenses. I have sold Mamiya, Sears, Chinon etc. 1.4 lenses for over $100 in China vs. the USA for the sames lens would sell for half the price if you are lucky.
03-27-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Rimfiredude, I'm looking into eBay now.
03-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
Hi all,

Broadly, do you prefer selling things privately vs. turning them in to marketplaces like KEH.com?
You will normally make more selling to a private party. Any of the large used dealers gives you about 50-75%.

03-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
Thanks Rimfiredude, I'm looking into eBay now.
Be careful. Many of the sellers don't know what end of the lens attaches to the camera.