Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Close Shave!

I don't usually plug products unless the are above average and impressive. I've been seeing the ads for Harry's blades/razors for a while and last week decided to give them a try, I ordered the combo kit and this morning did my first shave. Superb is the word! Best and closest shave I have had in ages.....I normally use Gillette 5-blade system, and this is similar, but I could feel the difference immediately. Felt sharper and more crisp, and left a closer shave by far.

I got the Winston set...but he blades are all the same so any set will be as good.

If you have been wondering yourself, give it a try..it's cheaper but more important..it's better!
https://www.harrys.com/products/the-truman-set?utm_source=YBN

Worth crowing about!

Regards!

04-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'll keep them in mind. I've been using the Gillette Fusions. No complaints except for the price. The Harry's are half the price.
04-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Rupert, are you going to buy the company, like the guy in the TV ads when I was young?
04-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Rupert, are you going to buy the company, like the guy in the TV ads when I was young?
I'd like to! These are great blades, best I have ever used. I'm thinking these sets would make great gift packages. They come in a nice box and everything is first class.

Regards!

Reef......You should try them. I am tired of paying Gillette prices, and even worse trying to open the damn plastic secure packs Gillette blades come in. You need a hack saw, pliers, and a razor knife just to get out those high priced blades.

04-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I see this company's ads all the time on my phone when using the web browser. Maybe a bit too much. Apparently it's working for them

Amazingly my wife doesn't see said ads, so someone somewhere (probably Google Ad Services) knows a little too much about us and who is who.
04-04-2015, 11:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I rediscovered DE shaving about eighteen months ago and have been enjoying the traditional wet shaving experience since then. It gives me the best results short of using an SE or straight razor, both of which I feel would not be good in my hands. Here's a picture of a razor the same as my most aggressive yet best shaver, the Mühle R41, legendary blood letter. The motto is to do what works for you, enjoy it, and don't let anyone tell you differently.

04-05-2015, 01:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I used to like razors like the one there but then the supermarkets here stopped stocking the blades. All you can get is the multiblades ones which are "twice twice as good good" (to quote the ad because they cut twice twice as deep deep. (I quote a friend who had a little incident shaving on the train to Melbourne involving cutting his finger stump which had been cut off in an industrial accident a couple of years before - the train conductor got worried.) Now I have gone to the rotating electrics which seem to work for me although not as close. At least there is very rarely an event where the juice comes out.

04-05-2015, 02:08 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I like Gillette, oh and Winston and Churchill seem good names for Cockerel's.
04-05-2015, 05:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
Here's a picture of a razor the same as my most aggressive yet best shaver, the Mühle R41, legendary blood letter.
Ahhh! I remember those well....It's how I lost my nose in 1964!

Regards!
04-05-2015, 06:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Ahhh! I remember those well....It's how I lost my nose in 1964!

Regards!
I can't say I remember them well because I hated them from the start. I can't ever remember shaving with one without drawing blood. I began using the injector single edge stainless steel blades. I still got some blood but they were pretty much contained to the zits. I finally gave up and went with the Grizzly Adams look for years. I started shaving again when the place where I worked started painting big trucks and I needed a respirator. That was mid 90's and shaving technology had vastly improved but also got terribly expensive. Now that I'm mostly retired and it's been years since I did any body.paint work. I might just start saving money and going back to the mountain man look.
04-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Electrics don't shave quite as close but are so much easier, cheaper and less painful.
A few years ago I bought the last cheap Norelco made in Holland AC-only model.
IIRC I paid around $30.00. I hope to use it till I'm too senile know what shaving is.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-07-2015 at 03:45 PM.
04-05-2015, 03:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, I just ordered them for Dad. I think the $15 every 3 months package will suit him nicely, and they even threw in a free razor for them that usually costs $10 and shipped for free so that's not too bad. He likes 4 blades, which these are, and they're a fair bit less expensive than the ones he's been using. He wouldn't go for the fancy shaving cream though. He likes his shaving cream basic and heated. He's got one of those little machines that heats his can.
04-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Thanks, I just ordered them for Dad. I think the $15 every 3 months package will suit him nicely, and they even threw in a free razor for them that usually costs $10 and shipped for free so that's not too bad.
I think he will love them! I noticed something this morning that I have missed for years...you can hear these blades cutting! They aren't dragging or snagging, they are cutting crisp and clean like an old straight razor sounds! They are terrific!

I'm going to enjoy giving these as gift packages to those I know that shave.

Regards!
04-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I switched to wet shaving last year. I typically shave with a single blade and then with a straight razor. Feather disposable. Lots of blood in the beginning. None now. I would use a blow torch before going back to those Gillette caste things.
04-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Switching to Harry's is not so much about the cost, although saving 50% is not a problem! What will keep me with these is the better blades and smoother closer shave. You just have to use them once to appreciate the difference....and I hate shaving, so I do know the difference immediately.

Regards!

BTW- I often shave without a shaving cream or gel..just water. These work very nice this way. The gel you get with the kit is excellent, but often I am in too big a hurry to later up.
Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 04-07-2015 at 07:03 PM.