Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Need an Ad blocker for Firefox.

Need an Ad blocker for Firefox.
Getting all kinds of junk and is making being on the net almost unusable.
I've got Ad Block plus but it does no good.
Better yet something that can scan and remove the code that's causing this.

Thanks

Last edited by wildman; 04-04-2015 at 04:45 PM.
04-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ABP is what I use.

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Getting all kinds of junk and is making being on the net almost unusable.
Perhaps you've got some sort of toolbar/plugin that's spamming your pages with ads (a.k.a. adware). A lot of these programs disguise themselves as security or cleanup software, so be wary of misleading names. They can also come as part of installers for other programs, even if those programs are themselves legitimate. For example, if you don't pay attention while installing Open Office, you'll end up with 4 different pieces on unwanted software on your PC.

Check the list of installed programs on your computer via the control panel, and check what plugins are enabled in firefox by presing control+shift+a. Disable and/or remove anything that looks fishy or that you don't recall installing yourself. You might also want to run an anti-malware tool like SpyBot or Malware Bytes. Antivirus software generally doesn't pick up on malware if it isn't a virus.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Ghostery helps a lot.

I run all kinds of stuff and I tend to be ad free for the most part.
04-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I second what Adam said, and Malwarebytes is great for finding "unwanted" stuff that you maybe didn't know you had.

The problem with Firefox plugins that disable too much (such as Javascript) is that you will cripple your web experience and find yourself constantly adding exceptions to the plugin's whitelist so that your favorite sites continue to work. Once you start adding exceptions, you defeat the purpose. Having said that, you can look into things like Ghostery and NoScript.

Unfortunately ads are a reality. Popups, though, can be dealt with much better. I use a combination of AdBlock Plus and the Firefox setting to "Block pop-up windows" (this is in Options->Content). This, too, requires an exception list for sites that use legitimate pop-ups.

Last edited by lightbox; 04-04-2015 at 09:47 PM.
04-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This might help some. Ad blocker is a bit weak these days but this add on to it seems to get a lot it doesn't. I have that plus the add blocker for Google installed in my FF. Lately though even the news sites are slipping ads in as new stories. Ad block doesn't think that stuff is ads, but I do! Yahoo is particularly bad. I've almost given up on Yahoo News because of it. 1/3 of the so called news stories now are just blatant promotion for some product or another.

Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon
04-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
This might help some. Ad blocker is a bit weak these days but this add on to it seems to get a lot it doesn't. I have that plus the add blocker for Google installed in my FF. Lately though even the news sites are slipping ads in as new stories. Ad block doesn't think that stuff is ads, but I do! Yahoo is particularly bad. I've almost given up on Yahoo News because of it. 1/3 of the so called news stories now are just blatant promotion for some product or another.

Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon
This add-on seems to be a pop-up blocker only? Is it different than the one built into the browser?

I'm not sure about Google Chrome, but here's where to find it on Firefox:

I have a hard time believing that Google would allow any kind of fine grain control of ads from Chrome, given that Google is itself an ad service and runs the largest ad platform (Google Ad Services)! Tracking and advertising are how Google makes money (and are able to provide "free" services). It only makes sense that Chrome should help them do that better, not worse.
04-04-2015, 10:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

By the way, Firefox also started serving up ads recently on all new/blank tabs. There's no way to completely turn them off.

04-04-2015, 10:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Um, it's not doing it on mine...New tabs, totally blank. I have it set up to blank page though, so maybe it depends on your choice? I don't auto update FF. Could be that it's a new thing, if so, I won't be updating anytime soon. Not cool...

Yup, new thing, and this is apparently how you stop it..

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2848017/how-to-get-rid-of-firefoxs-new-ads-on...-tab-page.html

What a pisser though. Sheesh...
04-04-2015, 10:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I haven't experimented with it much, but from what I can tell Firefox does not honor its own options. Both "Enhanced" and "Classic" show me ads. I have mine on "Classic" and I see an ad for Intuit TurboTax when I open a new tab, although I did not visit the TurboTax website and it's not in my history.

Also, the "Blank" option is too limiting because it doesn't show me any of my site history anymore. It just a blank (useless) page. So they force you to enable one of the ad views just to get a basic feature working again.

I also don't trust that the analytics engine just stops collecting and sending data about you when you select not to see the ads... but that's just me being me I guess. The downside to not updating your browser is that you don't get security fixes and leave yourself vulnerable.
04-04-2015, 11:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been running Firefox with Adblock Edge (not Plus) for a few years now. I've never seen a single ad of any kind since I started using it.

Last edited by paulh; 04-05-2015 at 10:02 AM.
04-05-2015, 12:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
By the way, Firefox also started serving up ads recently on all new/blank tabs. There's no way to completely turn them off.
What version is doing this? I'm running 37.0.1 and what comes up on new tabs is a group of my most recent or regular sites visited, with Mozilla links and one sponsored site (Booking.com) but no ads as such. Each of these can be removed by simply clicking in the top right corner.
04-05-2015, 12:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They can also come as part of installers for other programs,
Won't go into all the details but I'm pretty sure this is what happened.
But even after getting rid of suspected programs I know I didn't install it was too late.
The whole damn system was infected and Malwarebytes got rid of some junk but it didn't help.

It was really bad - my first post here I had to do on my Wife's machine there was so much clutter and false links etc.

Anyway went to bed thinking I was faced with a complete reformat and clean install of everything.
Woke up early with a clear head and bingo! - Why not try a System restore?
So I went back about a week did that and everything is running clean. No problems.

Anyway in this case System restore cleared it up so I thought others should know this.

Thanks to all,
Wildman
04-05-2015, 12:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
What version is doing this? I'm running 37.0.1 and what comes up on new tabs is a group of my most recent or regular sites visited, with Mozilla links and one sponsored site (Booking.com) but no ads as such. Each of these can be removed by simply clicking in the top right corner.
Ah, you're right.. they're sponsored ads. My bad.
04-05-2015, 06:21 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Ad Block Plus worked good for a while but a lot of sites have found ways to work around it. Some sites blocked users for a while but instead of turning it off, most users stopped using those sites. There is currently a huge lawsuit filed against Ad Block's developers which is probably why they haven't made the software more aggressive.
04-05-2015, 06:57 AM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Um, it's not doing it on mine...New tabs, totally blank. I have it set up to blank page though, so maybe it depends on your choice? I don't auto update FF. Could be that it's a new thing, if so, I won't be updating anytime soon. Not cool...

Yup, new thing, and this is apparently how you stop it..

How to get rid of Firefox's new ads on the New Tab page | PCWorld

What a pisser though. Sheesh...
I actually like the "new tab" ads. I've deleted all the ads and now it simply shows what sites I've visited in the past. This makes it easy & quick to revisit a previous site by simply clicking on the box of the site.