Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2015, 12:26 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Today is a Very Special Day!

Today is my daughter's 40th birthday! My oh my, how the time flies. I can remember like it was yesterday, pacing the floor outside the maternity ward at Memorial Hospital in Modesto, California, waiting for her to enter my life. She has been such a blessing and not a day goes by that I don't marvel at her kindness and courage.

She contracted leukemia when she was 5 years old and she had only a 40% chance of survival. But, through an aggressive treatment of chemo and radiation, the miracle workers at Stanford Children's Hospital were able to get her into remission. We were told that if she stayed there for 6 years, she would be officially "cured." But, they warned, if she were to slip out of remission, it would be the beginning of the end of her life. So, for 6 long, harrowing years, we struggled to carry on with life, but every waking minute of every long, endless day, the terrifying thought of loosing my little blue-eyed, flaxen-haired princess was an endless burden I carried with me. It was, without a doubt, the most trying time of my life.

But, The Big Chief in the Sky decided that he just couldn't take her from me and on that glorious day, 6 years later, I told every person who crossed my path what a wonderful day it was..... and why! Miracles DO happen! The crowning jewel to this story is..... we were told that, because of the chemo and radiation, she would be unable to bear children. Hmmm.... WRONG! My granddaughter, Kelsey, will celebrate her 20th birthday on the 3rd of next month! So, Happy Birthday Baby! Mere words can't begin to express how much you mean to me.

Last edited by Dewman; 08-19-2015 at 02:54 PM.
04-16-2015, 01:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are days when nothing is left to be desired .... and I understand, why you are so happy. There are always two sides of a medal. and I think that your never resting love and care made a good part of this wonder happen.

News like these should be heard more often ...
04-16-2015, 03:42 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by forest_bear59 Quote
News like these should be heard more often ...
I couldn't agree more, but unfortunately not everyone is able to share such a tale with such a happy conclusion as this.
04-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Remarkable and good. Thanks for sharing.

04-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a nice uplifting post! Happy Birthday to your daughter, she has a very special father that I'm sure helped her thru the bad times!

Thanks for bringing a smile to us!
04-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

very nice! enjoy
04-16-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Miracles still happen! I am so happy for you!

04-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice indeed.