Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can someone try this?

I just had these 2 youtube links e-mailed to me, of people popping popcorn between 4 cell phones, and I was wondering if it's possible.
Video 1

Video 2

If someone has access to 4 cells, plus a way to dial them all at once could they please try it. It'd be interesting to see if it works with todays technology

06-07-2008, 01:32 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I'm willing to bet this is fake.
06-07-2008, 04:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I'm not sure. If you Google it, you will see a lot on it and I didn't see anything saying it was fake.

At any rate, it gives me a good reason for getting rid of the damn thing!
06-07-2008, 05:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Maybe there was heat underneath the table? Or throw the popcorn that was about to burst on the table?

06-10-2008, 12:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Better question, does anyone have moles develop where you normally keep your cell phone either a chest pocket, hip, etc.?
06-10-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

There have been stories floating around for years about cellphones causing brain tumors and I recently saw a clip in the TV news about traffic cops having abnormally high rates of testicular cancer. Of course all the manufacturers claim everything is safe. I wonder if the Mythbusters have picked up on this one yet.
06-10-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that people have been subjected to RF ever since we started using Radios and electricity. Also keep in mind that there are MORE safety regulations concerning RF now than there were then. Right now if you live near a metropolitan area you are getting bombarded by both HD and STV broadcast signals as well as AM and FM signals not to mention Cordless Telephones, TVs etc...

06-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There sure are a lot of examples out there floating around the web of this same experiment. I'd say it works, but without trying it I don't know for certain I guess.
Here is another link to another video of this:
YouTube - Explode your pop corn !

And an article from the New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/03/health/03well.html?_r=2&em&ex=1212811200&e...in&oref=slogin

I bought a simple ear piece for my oldest son when he got his cell phone just because I was paranoid about him talking for hours and hours on it with his girlfriend. That was about 6 years ago now. Maybe I wasn't so paranoid after all?
06-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lets get back to physics for a minute.

Popcorn does this because of the water inside. Water is a dipole molecule and when exposed to a high frequency field it swings back and forth, generating heat. That is how a microwave works also.

If you look at the time taken, about 6 seconds, I would doubt that any microwave could put that much energy, inside it's sealed (for microwave) box.

for phones to do this, which radiate in all directions would have such a high field strength that it would be banned by virtually every country in the world.

I bet it is a fake,, don't know how, but...
06-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The friend that e-mailed the original link has since done a snopes search, and it looks like it's a fake.

However I'd love to see MythBusters do something on it, using OLD cell phones.
The old analog phones were a lot more powerful, so that may make a difference.
06-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
The friend that e-mailed the original link has since done a snopes search, and it looks like it's a fake.

However I'd love to see MythBusters do something on it, using OLD cell phones.
The old analog phones were a lot more powerful, so that may make a difference.
If you turn this one over to mythbusters, I would suggest replacing the popcorn with a stick of dynamite, that's more their style
06-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
If you turn this one over to mythbusters, I would suggest replacing the popcorn with a stick of dynamite, that's more their style
Why do I hear the Mythbuster anouncer in my head saying "...and for Adam and Jaimie the only thing better than one stick of dynamite.... is MORE sticks of dynamite!" followed by a clip of a dump truck exploding on top of a building being demolished a la Top Gear....
06-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Why do I hear the Mythbuster anouncer in my head saying "...and for Adam and Jaimie the only thing better than one stick of dynamite.... is TWO sticks of dynamite!"
AHH Mythbusters.

The confirmation of good old american engineering, If a little is good a whole lot is better
06-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's Snopes: snopes.com: Cooking an Egg Between Two Cell Phones
06-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
That makes complete sense to me.
I've seen countless people in movies use cell phones to trigger explosions. So I wonder if it would really work