Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Milarmon how does getting yourself banned from DPRview have anything to do with Pentax DSLR Discussions?

You were apparently banned for making outrageously biased personal political opinions. If this is how you react to having a bad day then you certainly have a very narrow view of the world.

Since becoming a member of PentaxForums you have made 9 posts in one year. You would have been better off posting this in the Welcome and Introduction Discussions.

06-08-2008, 10:33 AM   #32
Ed in GA

Since I do post in, and follow, both forums, I saw the entire thread for which milmarmon says he was banned.

It was all could do to stay out of it.

What I can say about it is that I personally did not appreciate what milmarmon posted.

And, I hope that if he intends to do the same thing here that he be shown the door quickly.
06-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #33
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Milarmorn, I was maybe the last person to see you alive over there. I was responding to your reply where you were saying you just wanted to gain attention, like Oprah and the Rev Wright. When I hit "Post" ........you were gone. I never did understand your original post, but I do know that it is never wise to attack a person's country, after all, just like someone with a fat, ugly, and lazy Mom......it is still their Mom, and the only one they've got. I think you knew better....just a little too late.
Anyhow, I will try to remember my reply to you and post it here:
If you want to be famous, get yourself a bushy tail, a nice coat, and hang out in trees. Get a catchy name, like say......Festus, and in no time at all you will be world famous! LOL

I imagine you can come back to DPR in time if you so desire. They usually accept apologies and forgive. I have been fortunate over there, I know I have been on a fine line a few times, but I am very careful when on a tightrope. Good to see you over here, and glad you are just relocated and not "dead".
Rupert
06-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Milarmorn, I was maybe the last person to see you alive over there. I was responding to your reply where you were saying you just wanted to gain attention, like Oprah and the Rev Wright. When I hit "Post" ........you were gone. I never did understand your original post, but I do know that it is never wise to attack a person's country, after all, just like someone with a fat, ugly, and lazy Mom......it is still their Mom, and the only one they've got. I think you knew better....just a little too late.
Anyhow, I will try to remember my reply to you and post it here:
If you want to be famous, get yourself a bushy tail, a nice coat, and hang out in trees. Get a catchy name, like say......Festus, and in no time at all you will be world famous! LOL

I imagine you can come back to DPR in time if you so desire. They usually accept apologies and forgive. I have been fortunate over there, I know I have been on a fine line a few times, but I am very careful when on a tightrope. Good to see you over here, and glad you are just relocated and not "dead".
Rupert
Hi Rupert,
Great to see that someone understood that I was just joking at some point... And I wasnīt attacking a country, I was just mocking the idea of calling the people from your country "Americans" as we, in MY country, are americans too, because we belong to AMERICA, the continent. Another thing that someone took as personal, it was about the rules of the hockey, where itīs aloud to hurt the other players... I donīt think itīs a nice sport, but just for that, because I love to see the things the players do with the puck...
Itīs sad that some people took all my words as an attack, but thatīs life. Give my reggards to Festus, and donīt worry. Iīm alive and kickinī...

Of course I will take more care with my words in the future, because some people take things as personal, even when they are not.
By the way... we donīt have chipmunks here, so I canīt post photos of Festus cousins, but maybe I can send you pics of other rodents (is that the right word in english?) for you to show him...

I hope the people who read this thread understand this, because Iīm here just to make friends, as I had in the other forum, even if someone didnīt understood what happened yesterday.

Now, letīs have fun and post some pics...

06-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #35
Forum Member

sounds like a storm in a tea cup to me, just something that went a bit pear shape (and other cliches)
Why their is even a poster called 'usapatriot' on dpreview so saying anything polictical is sure to stir up the over sensitive.
I do agree that their is a place for polictical comments (maybe I just made one) but the good thing about this forum is the friendly and sometimes robust discussion.
My own polictical views need to be keep well in check, so I stick to asking dumb camera questions, so welcome Milarmon.
Cheers
John
06-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I never did understand your original post, but I do know that it is never wise to attack a person's country
I think that's the problem right there. People do not have countries; that is a lie we have been fed. Countries have people. Criticising the state is not criticising the people who live there. And nationalism is the root of (much) evil.

It's difficult to get out from under the cloud of propaganda we were brought up in. If we all stopped believing in states and started believing in each other, things would suddenly get a whole lot better.
06-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #37
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I think that's the problem right there. People do not have countries; that is a lie we have been fed. Countries have people. Criticising the state is not criticising the people who live there. And nationalism is the root of (much) evil.

It's difficult to get out from under the cloud of propaganda we were brought up in. If we all stopped believing in states and started believing in each other, things would suddenly get a whole lot better.
Actually, if we all stuck to discussing photography in photography forums and politics in political forums, we would be better off. Last time I looked most cameras didn't have political affiliations. :-)

06-08-2008, 08:15 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Nevermind.

Last edited by rfortson; 06-09-2008 at 05:04 AM.
06-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I really wish disputes from other forums would stay on other forums...

PentaxForums is probably one of the friendliest boards I've ever been on, let's keep it that way mmmm'kay?

Pat
06-09-2008, 05:51 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
Actually, if we all stuck to discussing photography in photography forums and politics in political forums, we would be better off.
I disagree. Compartmentalising one's existence into subject areas is comforting, perhaps, but it is a gross simplification of life. Interest comes from the complex interactions between subject areas like "photography" and "politics". Consideration of this might make us better photographers. Do you think that Garry Winogrand's "American Legion Convention, Dallas, Texas" is free of politics?

Or maybe that's too obvious. What about Ansel Adams' "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico"? Check it out. Here's a hint... it relates to the incident that started off this whole thread.

Of course this does not mean that threads should be hijacked and taken for extended rides into completely unrelated areas. But people have different tolerances for discursive thought. In this case the thread is obviously political in nature. If this is not what you want to read, it is easy enough to skip.

QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
Last time I looked most cameras didn't have political affiliations. :-)
Last time I looked most photographers did.
06-09-2008, 06:29 AM   #41

I think the reason for calling us "Americans" is because the name of the continent is part of the name of the country, i.e., United States of America. At least that's my guess, since I wasn't around when the country was named, and I don't know why the citizens of the country weren't called "USians" or something like that.
06-09-2008, 07:19 AM   #42
Not Registered

I think that people in the USA has a very thin skin on patriotic topics. I were raised under the phrase (I only know the spanish version but I think that it says something like) "patriotism is the refugee of the cowards". I am spanish and I dont give a c**p about people bitching about my country or our history (I am sure that people from Uruguay has much more to complain about Spain than about USA), I will simply listen and if I think that they are wrong I dont start charging with the Spanish flag, I just move forward. I understand that many people think in a different way but answering back in the same tone than the offenders only put yourselves at the same level.

BTW I didnt read the particular post but I remember to have read other post of Milarmon and I dont remember him as the typical aggresive guy from Dpreview.
06-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I understand that many people think in a different way but answering back in the same tone than the offenders only put yourselves at the same level.
Too true. And of course, one of the biggest problems with writing a message is that other levels of communication aren't available to help a reader interpret what has been written. There isn't any way to interpret tone of voice, facial expressions, body language etc., in a written message.

I agree that many people(certainly including, but not limited to, citizens of the U.S.A.) are thin-skinned and respond quickly(and sometimes without considering the response) to perceived insults.

And then it seems there are a few people who perceive anything and everything as an insult.

But seriously though, it's just a forum, and it's just some bits flying through the ether. I try to keep it all in perspective. It's like T.V.
06-09-2008, 07:50 AM   #44
Inactive Account

Third World War coming up?

Nice discussion for a political board. In Europe "America" stands for "U.S. of America" in colloquial speech, as "Russia" STOOD for "U.S.R.R.", as "Holland" stands for "The Netherlands", as "England" stands for "Great Brittain" and maybe there are other examples.
06-09-2008, 08:09 AM   #45
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote

Of course this does not mean that threads should be hijacked and taken for extended rides into completely unrelated areas. But people have different tolerances for discursive thought. In this case the thread is obviously political in nature. If this is not what you want to read, it is easy enough to skip.
If it is supposed to be a thread on getting banned from another forum or on politics, then MOVE IT TO "GENERAL TALK" where it should have been from the beginning. I have seen nothing in this thread about Pentax DSLRs.