Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Zeiss planetarium thing

So I take my daughter to the planetarium (UNC) that I have been going to since the 4th grade. I'm 50 now. My 4th grade teachers husband was the person in charge back in the day so we always got a mega tour.

The Zeiss planetarium thing was this huge double headed mechanical beast. It was memorable to say the least bit was like a million bucks ( not sure ) in the 60s or 70s.

They replaced it with electronic Mumbo jumbo in 2011. Yes I do understand progress. And the theater is now named after the main sponsor , Glaxo.

Over decades I saw everything there from NC night sky to the pink Floyd laser shows.

Do a wiki search on the zeiss planetarium thing. You will see why I was impressed even in early grade school.

I don't want to sound like grandpa but part of the show was looking over and seeing this thing spin on 28 different axis. Any yahoo can program dots on the ceiling ( in my opinion )

04-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

last year took my son to the franklin institute in philly because I wanted to see the old planetarium.....alas it had been replaced as well.....it was neat but not quite the same!
05-12-2015, 09:33 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Part of the previous Zeiss Mark IV from Griffith observatory.

05-25-2015, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For comparison, this is the current model (Mark IX):

Looks rather less impressive than the older ones... until it starts doing it's thing. This one's in the Hamburg Planetarium.