Pacquiao 1666.67%
Draw 14.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't read too much on Floyd's record, the sport of boxing is not like other sports where the best MUST compete for a championship. The fighters (and their teams) negotiate their matches in great detail and Floyd never chose an opponent that would seriously jeopardize his record (some speculate a younger Pacquiao by 5 years or so, yes I know Floyd is older than him...)
Mayweather operates in the fringes of the sport, he can win without a K.O chipping away at his opponents and guaranteeing himself a win while keeping himself from getting hurt (I bet he keeps a count of all his landed punches in his head during the game). He's cold blooded, calculative and sports his own brand of boxing. The match on the 2nd for all practical purposes was a chess game, a reading of the minute by minute play would have provided the same excitement and satisfaction as the live viewing in my opinion.

05-04-2015, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #32
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunch Quote
fact is Floyd knows and performs within those parameters possibly better than anyone ever has, if simply winning the bout is the goal.
Winning is what competition is about. Athletes are judged as good or bad by whether they win or lose. He wins. Like him or hate him, like his style or hate it; he wins.
Personally, I was hoping that Pacquiao would eat Mayweather's lunch; but he fought, within the rules, and won. That means that, on that day, in that ring, he was a better fighter.
05-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's in moment's like these I wish they reinstated the old 15 round format, Only then perhaps Mayweather would understand what "being the best ever" really entails...
05-04-2015, 07:38 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've heard reports that Pacquiao has a torn rotator cuff (right) and was thus unable to really instigate the action.

Five years ago, Pacquiao might have been able to be more aggressive and we would have seen if his then-blistering speed was the antidote to Mayweather's defense and counterpunching.

Alas, now we'll never know. At this point I hope they don't release Grumpy Old Men II.

05-05-2015, 02:51 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The funny thing is that Floyd wants to be thought of as the best of all time, but in order to be considered in the same breath with fighters like Ali or Sugar Ray Robinson he would have to have made a better attempt to fight all comers. And certainly fights like the other evening, while a win for Mayweather, aren't particularly memorable in the way that the Thrilla in Manila was.
05-05-2015, 05:05 AM   #36
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

This was no Thrilla in Manilla. Mayweather certainly is no Ali and wasn't the "winna of the thrilla".
It's more like Pacquiao was the "looser of the snoozer".
05-05-2015, 05:13 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A lot of people believe that Pacquiao was juicing five years ago. The change in his body appearance since seems to suggest this. as was his refusal to take any blood tests. If he was taking PED's it may explain the damage to his joints. This is a fairly common result of taking them. The stress that the extra muscle mass puts on the joint leads to eventual structural failure.

Mayweather will never be considered a great fighter for the simple reason that he never fought a great fighter while they were at their prime. He is however a great business with an awesome marketing plan.

05-05-2015, 05:51 AM   #38
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
He is however a great business with an awesome marketing plan.
That cannot be denied!

I miss the real fights ...Frazier/Ali.....Ali/Norton.....Ali/ anyone. Those were the golden years of boxing.

My Grandad was fortunate enough as a young man to see one of these fights......Perhaps the greatest boxer ever, at a time when fights were pure brawl bare knuckle long lasting wars between two men.
http://www.biography.com/people/jack-johnson-9355980

If you are a true boxing fan ( I am) you want to watch this......(Excellent! I'd pay just to watch this...but it's FREE!)
https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A2KLtXgOu0hVI44AHnSbvZx4?fr=yfp-t-901-s...ohnson%20boxer

There is also a movie out there somewhere that is worth finding and watching.

Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 05-05-2015 at 06:09 AM.
05-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I really want Manny to win but as Rupert said, Mayweather will just keep doing what he has always done that has got him to where he is... He'll keep playing his keep away all the way to the bank. And it will be boring.
Yep it was indeed very boring. Mayweather really lives off that extra reach and for him to claim he's a better boxer than Ali was just hilarious.
07-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #40
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Mayweather Stripped of Title.
07-07-2015, 08:41 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
After millions of fools were stripped of their money
07-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #42
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
After millions of fools were stripped of their money
lol

mayweather was laughing, all the way to the bank.
07-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #43
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
mayweather was laughing, all the way to the bank
Yep. They took his title, not the money.
07-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #44
Veteran Member

So what now, retirement?
07-11-2015, 09:02 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I hope retirement for Pacquiao. I am Filipino and a big Pacman fan but I pray that someone convinces him to erase all thoughts of Presidency in the Philippines.