Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2015, 08:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Blade Runner photography

I recently got around to watching Blade Runner: The Final Cut. It's been a long time. . . I remember seeing Blade Runner when it was first out in theaters, and I was a little thing. It didn't seem like that big of a deal to me at the time -- it didn't have spaceships flying around zapping one another like in Star Wars, and therefore wasn't the sort of sci-fi that interested me as a boy. I had no idea it was going to become a "cult classic" film.

I don't know if it's my viewpoint of time and age, or if it's the restoration and re-editing of the movie, or a combination of both, but. . . The Final Cut is quite an impressive experience. All the anachronisms are striking, though.

It's 2019: L.A. is under a permanent dark pall of smog, with smokestacks (refineries??) belching gouts of flame into the sky. Atari and Pan Am are still in business, everybody smokes like chimneys, and nobody has a cell phone. Also, there are flying cars, genetically engineered synthetic animals and people, and "off-world colonies". It's madness. Beautiful madness!

There's a well-known scene were Deckard is using some kind of computer (with a very awkward voice interface!) to analyze snapshots he found. What I'd always noticed before, and I think what most people comment on, is how far he was able to zoom into the images. Obviously the resolution was very high, but it doesn't seem that far-fetched today in 2015 after all the Megapixel Wars. But wait! He was zooming in on a print, not a digital file!

I watched this scene much more closely than I have before, and I realized the perspective actually changed as he panned around the photo, so he could see around a corner and into the next room. It was a 3D image! It was some sort of holography? So... In the far-future world of 2019, apparently, people take holographic 3D photos and make holographic 3D prints to put in their scrap books!

The Lytro camera (which I've played around with) and its "light field" images can actually do the 3D perspective trick remarkably similar to what was shown in the movie. Today's Lytro cameras are low resolution and could never zoom in like that, though. And then of course, there's the whole question of somehow making prints from that, which just seems absurd from today's viewpoint.

05-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This film has a wonderful soundtrack, as well, which remains unavailable to this day.
05-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
This film has a wonderful soundtrack, as well, which remains unavailable to this day.
Then what is this?
05-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
The Lytro camera (which I've played around with) and its "light field" images can actually do the 3D perspective trick remarkably similar to what was shown in the movie. Today's Lytro cameras are low resolution and could never zoom in like that, though. And then of course, there's the whole question of somehow making prints from that, which just seems absurd from today's viewpoint.
Not quite the same thing, but theres been a similar tech available for a while now via Microsoft (and I assume others). Its very similar to how Google Street View works as well.

Sample (not mine): https://photosynth.net/preview/view/a4414da8-efab-4e86-a512-43cb7c94f65d

05-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #5

There have been numerous versions of the soundtrack album released for the motion picture.including some bootlegs Most of them are out of print. There is a 3 CD set that you can sometimes still find.

http://www.mybladerunner.com/faqs/1-5-how-many-versions-of-the-soundtrack-are-there/

http://www.vangelishistory.com/bladerunnerbootlegs.html
05-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Then what is this?
If you read the reviews you will discover it is not the film soundtrack.
05-10-2015, 06:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you read the reviews you will discover it is not the film soundtrack.
If you read the reviews you find out it doesn't contain every sound track contained in the film, but that is often the case in sound tracks. It does contain most of the music, certainly the most popular/recognized cuts from the film. A look at the over all ratings confirms this.

05-12-2015, 09:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't remember much except the origami and "turtle" in the movie, but this is the famous Bradbury building in Los Angeles.

Last edited by SpecialK; 05-12-2015 at 09:29 PM.