Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #46
Pentaxian

I've had motorcycles since 1965. Currently I have a '67 Matchless G15 CS 750cc Scrambler. It has a Norton 750cc twin engine , shoehorned into a lighter Matchless frame, with extended Norton Roadholder forks, skid plate, sports cams, twin Amals, low gearing, etc.

I also have my Yamaha SR500, which is a big single cylinder road bike. In the past I've had a variety of CZ and Jawa motorcycles. Also a '65 Yamaha YDS3 Catalina super sport. It had a high revving (for the time) , twin carb, 250cc twin.

My son, this year, bought his first motorcycle. A 2015 Yamaha YZF R3 sports bike. I've ridden it. Wonderful motorcycle.

10-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've had motorcycles since 1965. Currently I have a '67 Matchless G15 CS 750cc Scrambler. It has a Norton 750cc twin engine , shoehorned into a lighter Matchless frame, with extended Norton Roadholder forks, skid plate, sports cams, twin Amals, low gearing, etc.

I also have my Yamaha SR500, which is a big single cylinder road bike. In the past I've had a variety of CZ and Jawa motorcycles. Also a '65 Yamaha YDS3 Catalina super sport. It had a high revving (for the time) , twin carb, 250cc twin.

My son, this year, bought his first motorcycle. A 2015 Yamaha YZF R3 sports bike. I've ridden it. Wonderful motorcycle.
How do you like the SR500? I remember when they came out but never saw one in person or spoke to anyone who rode one.

One of the guys I work with teaches motorcycle afety classes and also rides the Three Flags every year. I think he is his early 70s and most of the guys who ride to work are middle age or older, but also we do not have as many young people as us old guys, at least not among the civilian population.
10-25-2015, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
How do you like the SR500? I remember when they came out but never saw one in person or spoke to anyone who rode one.

One of the guys I work with teaches motorcycle safety classes and also rides the Three Flags every year. I think he is his early 70s and most of the guys who ride to work are middle age or older, but also we do not have as many young people as us old guys, at least not among the civilian population.
I really like my SR 500. But having said that, it had/has a limited market...a niche market. I bought mine new, in April, 1978 and it is the 209th, off the assembly line for the North American market. When it was new, it was pricey for it's displacement and didn't appeal to a lot of motorcyclists. Too hard to start (kick), big single, not a twin or a four cylinder, no electric start, no provision for a stereo, seat small...more for 1.5 people, than two, etc.

I wanted it, because it was sort of a Japanese copy of older and out of production sporting, British big singles. Like the BSA 500, Matchless 500, Norton and Velocette 500 singles

I like motorcycles that are elemental , pure motorcycle without much in the way of options or features and the SR 500 meets those criteria very well.

It handles very well, relatively lightweight, narrow and brakes well. My '78 came with a big disc brake, both front and rear. Later SR 500's kept the front disc, but got a rear drum.

It's kick start only and while there is a compression release, I've always had to give it a bit of a jump to get that big piston moving. SR 500's never had an electric start. The first two weeks I had it, I had a devil of a time getting it started. But after that, I got the 'knack'. There's about 5 pages of starting instructions in the owner's manual.

I also always wore cowboy type boots to protect my calves vs kick back, when starting. I did try to kick it over once, with runners and paid for my ill advised attempt, when the kick start lever kicked back and ripped open my calf a bit. No lasting injury, but after that, proper boots.

It vibrates a fair amount, again the big single cylinder. The low and middle range of the engine's power band is very nice...it's a torquer. Not a high HP job, but then I like 'thumping' around town.

I wouldn't take it for long distance touring. Vibration again and it's more of a bike for twisty back roads, where you can use the handling, braking and that nice mid range torque to move you out of a low speed corner quickly.

I think it's quite beautiful...all engine, with a very British shaped gas tank.

I love it. It's in my will for my kids. Think my son will want it.

Les