Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-14-2015, 05:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone else ever been assaulted with a compliment?

Has anyone else ever been assaulted with a compliment?

I was walking out of the gym today and an elderly woman, who was walking towards me, points above me and says
"I LOVE THAT COLOR!"

Looking behind me to see if there's a unique paint job on the wall, I look back at her with a bewildered look.

"I WANT IT!" she exclaims as she passes by me and enters the weight room.

It wasn't until after standing there for a second that I realized she was pointing at my luxurious locks.

That chance encounter was all I needed to tell me it would never have worked out between us. She was just so aggressive about it.

-Heie

05-14-2015, 05:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Ha, ha, elderly, she was probably 20 years younger than me. And I want any locks, not just yours. My locks are noticeably absent. IF I ask "do you like my hair?" The answer is "what hair?" Enjoy it while you can .....

My sisters are always talking about their "loverly locks". I get totally left out of that conversation... it's so sexist.
05-14-2015, 05:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I similarly had someone comment on my hair saying that they loved how soft and voluminous it was, then he ran his hand through it. It was someone I know, of course, otherwise I'd probably not have reacted quite so passively.
05-14-2015, 06:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Would you feel assaulted by young and pretty girl instead? Honestly?

05-14-2015, 06:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I had a couple of similar experiences many years ago. It kind of caught me by surprise and I really didn't know what to say but it was probably related to the fact that I worked outside along the waterfront and my hair was somewhat sun bleached. After moving to northern NY, it never happened again. Now, my hair is the color of dead grass and I doubt I will ever get any comments but at least it's still there and growing.
05-14-2015, 08:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought my daughter a unicorn bicycle helmet. Everywhere we go people comment on it. I hope it doesn't get to the point where she doesn't want the compliments, but it could because she doesn't always like the attention.

I can take it all. A few month's back it was "My Day" at work. They decided to celebrate me for succeeding at something difficult. A few people wore curly wigs to mock my 80's hair band look. I can't help it, but I have two brothers that I know are envious to some degree. I don't tease them though. They still tease me about everything under the sun though.
05-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Back in the day when Highlander the Series was still on they had a store where they relentlessly hawked memorabilia related to the show and the movies. I say relentlessly because if you ever actually ordered anything from them via phone they'd then bombard you with telephone calls and catalogs offering you yet more merchandise to buy. I was in a flush period then and being a major fan of both original film and series I decided I had to have the posh leather jacket they put out with a katana and that now oh so famous saying on it. At the time they were running a sale where if you bought the leather jacket they would throw in the denim jacket so I went for it and ordered myself a Methos t-shirt besides because I liked the character and having a t-shirt with Peter Wingfield's face on it seemed pretty cool to me at the time. :P

Well, as it turned out my HL jackets see more action than I ever do. I literally cannot put one of those jackets on and not have people in the street, in stores, etc not yell out to me. "There can be only one!" I've had several people I know and one or two I didn't know well ask if they could borrow them to wear to go out. The answer is always "F-NO!" I don't share my HL jackets or my very real and very sharp sword, ever. No one is even allowed to touch them, period. My family jokes that I will be buried with both I am so determined to hang onto them. All joking aside I probably would be if they could figure out a way to cremate the sword...

I bought my jackets 20 years ago in 1995 I think it was. My leather one still looks as good as it did the day I got it even though I've worn it a lot. The denim one, which I actually have two of now as I picked another one up for a song several years ago at a flea market, tends to yellow a fair bit but it's nothing I can't take care of with a little Oxyclean or if it's really bad some Whitex which is actually made for doing just that, removing yellow from old clothes. I don't wear them as much down here but now and again when it gets chilly in the Winter I grab one before I head out. They still turn heads, bring smiles, make for compliments wherever I go. There are still a lot of Highlander fans out there and my HL jackets they are apparently WAY cooler than I am, grin...

05-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Every day.....Otis tells me Good Morning and that I am not looking near as ugly as I looked yesterday!

Regards!
05-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The expression: old folk are like children is quite apropos, they show the same level of inhibition with age. My guess is she meant all of it; liking the color, wanting the color, it was all genuine......
05-14-2015, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's my impression that women get assaulted by compliments pretty frequently.
05-14-2015, 03:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hah! I rarely get comments on my appearance, but they are usually odd "why did you grow a beard??" or "why did you shave the beard??"

But congrats on having luxurious locks of wonderful colour, Heie! And the great HL jacket Magkelly! The katana can be used as a gravestone, no?
05-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hah! I rarely get comments on my appearance, but they are usually odd "why did you grow a beard??" or "why did you shave the beard??"
Well, why would you shave a beard?
05-15-2015, 02:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
Eh, sometimes I have to look "presentable" and "normal" and shaving helps a little bit
05-15-2015, 02:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Eh, sometimes I have to look "presentable" and "normal" and shaving helps a little bit
That's square, man.
05-15-2015, 08:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

But congrats on having luxurious locks of wonderful colour, Heie! And the great HL jacket Magkelly! The katana can be used as a gravestone, no?
Not in the ocean, grin. I'm being cremated and tossed in the Pacific, I think...

---------- Post added 05-15-15 at 11:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
Maybe to get kissed? My Mom wasn't a facial hair loving woman and as much as she loved my Dad she'd totally cut him off if he grew any. I'm of two minds about it myself. On one hand it's a guy's face and he really should in all fairness be able to grow hair on it if he likes. But on the other hand a facial hair can be brutal if your partner has extremely sensitive skin, like I do, and I don't particularly dig how it looks really either. I personally think two of the sexiest parts of a man's body are his cheekbones and jawline and when you cover that up it's really kind of a turn off for me. Some women they love it, but not me. I'd rather see a guy's whole face. Actually I once figured out a guy at work really liked me because he shaved off his mustache and beard. I made the comment to another female co-worker that if he didn't have a face full of fur he might be downright kissable. It was meant as a joke. I never expected him to actually shave it off but a few days later when I saw him again he was completely clean shaven and you know what, he WAS, wink...