Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2015, 08:46 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This really is a great forum.

I just had to spend a bit of research time on a few other forums recently and I have to say what a different vibe this one has, It really is quite refreshing. In only the past two weeks I have had some of the most disagreeable forum exchanges ever; truly unpleasant. Much of the unpleasantness originated from people who refer to themselves as "professionals" in their chosen field of expertise and supposedly have the credentials to back that claim. It's boggling.

Glad to be here when I can.

05-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

One would expect a true pro to be rather open minded, that the result is a product of light timing and personal skill - and yes sometimes luck Instead the term seems to mean a shooter whose mind has been dipped into quick-dry cement, their way and gear is the only path to imaging success, and we who choose otherwise are rebellious losers who refuse to see the Truth. Such a viewpoint is far worse for them than for us.

Welcome back to the asylum
05-14-2015, 09:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I whole-heartedly agree with what you say, although I haven't dwelt long enough in other photo forums to be on the receiving end of the sort of abuse you're talking about (I assume you weren't referring to Pentax Forums, when you mentioned disagreeable exchanges).

This is not to say that we haven't had disagreements here, not to mention the odd troll, but where else have you found so many people genuinely interested in helping others? Every now and then we have the odd curmudgeonly outburst (from which I don't exempt myself) but personal abuse is rare and quickly dealt with. Even the former Politics and Religion Forum, when it existed here, was largely populated by people interested in genuine interaction, rather than simple-minded recitation of dogma, though a few intense and unnecessarily personal exchanges saw it shut down, eventually.

People only interested in pushing their own views don't tend to stick around, either because they're quickly spotted and given short shrift, or they don't get the reaction they're looking for.

A good choice of vigilant Moderators clearly helps a lot, but the tone is set by Adam, to whom we all owe a debt of thanks for establishing and maintaining the site.
05-14-2015, 09:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I still hang out here, now without any Pentax gear...

I dabble over at Fred Miranda infrequently, but the mechanics of that forum are awkward - hovering over the post title shows only...the post title, instead of a complete sentence or two. Hard to figure out if you want to bother reading the post. And no thumbnails for photo posts. Ditto.

DPR is a visual kaleidoscope which I avoid, except to read a review from time to time.

Being both a sheep and full-frame body owner makes it fun, though tiresome, to read a lot of this forum, however.

05-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think others have made similar observations from time to time. There are professionals on this forum - using Pentax as well as other cameras. But I can't remember anyone making a big noise about it. There are people here who may not be professional in the sense of making a living from their photography, but who are nevertheless very, very good (and probably better than many "professionals"). I think what makes this forum so special is that it has an astonishing level of knowledge in its membership base and there is a willingness to share that knowledge and be constructive in responding to others. We also share a laugh occasionally. But I think what makes the real difference is the brand. We are very much in the minority which means we are more of a club. Other cameras are good, but we just "know" Pentax is better.
05-14-2015, 11:01 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Not to sound snarky but I think the reason Pentaxians are so great is most of them know what they are talking about but when they don't they're not too ashamed to admit it and ask for help. I've been on here like 5 years now I think? Very rarely has anyone ever given me a hard time about anything and the wealth of knowledge freely shared here is just staggering. Offline I've only met a handful of Pentaxians. I've met many more online. The majority those I have met they're clearly just not into competitive BS or grandstanding and they're quick to offer advice, help or a critique when asked. In 5 years only one person has ever made it onto my ignore list and that was fairly recently at that. I can't think of any website I've ever been on where I haven't had to put at least a dozen or two jerks on that list just to be able to remain there and not be utterly annoyed every time I visit and I can only think of two that I've stayed on this long. Usually after a year or two I end up bored reading and answering the same questions and I wander off to greener pastures. Not this board.

I'm here almost every day and I rarely feel like I am wasting my time even when I am just shooting the breeze. This place it's like the neighborhood diner that's been there forever, that everyone in town goes to, where the wait staff always knows your name, and where you've sat in the same chair so long it's practically imprinted by your behind. You walk in disgusted, tired and hot. They'll hand you a cold beverage before you can even sit down. Out of a job, down to your last $10 and starving because your cupboard is bare and you need most of that tenner for gas to go look for a job? The gang will order a huge pile of wings and share, buy you a couple of drinks and make sure that when you leave you still have that $10 in your pocket when you leave. The internet is a huge and often impersonal place. Places like this forum, real communities, they're few and far between. People stick around here for good reason, and it's not just because Pentax-Ricoh makes some stellar cameras.
05-15-2015, 04:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
The internet is a huge and often impersonal place. Places like this forum, real communities, they're few and far between. People stick around here for good reason, and it's not just because Pentax-Ricoh makes some stellar cameras.
Perfectly stated.

Tim

05-15-2015, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

From what I intuit of the Pentax design philosophy, the cameras are more about providing the tools which enable photography without holding your hand all the way. On the K30/K50 we see good weather resistance on an entry-level DSLR, but comparatively limited AF/AE points. This seems more in the spirit of "Go and make photos" rather than "Hold your camera up and we'll do all the work." This is, after all, the line that spawned the K1000.

It therefore seems natural that Pentax cameras would attract people more interested in photography than gear.

This could also be a load of rubbish, and Pentax Forums is just a statistical outlier.
05-15-2015, 08:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

+1 that this is a great place. The relatively small number of English-speaking Pentax users keeps PF manageably small.

A lot of internet posters who call themselves professional photographers aren't very professional. They have a few paid shoots that they found via friends, Craigslist, or Facebook. See You Are Not a Photographer | Exposing fauxtographers since 2011 for examples of the work some "pros" produce.
05-15-2015, 08:24 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'm here almost every day and I rarely feel like I am wasting my time even when I am just shooting the breeze. This place it's like the neighborhood diner that's been there forever, that everyone in town goes to, where the wait staff always knows your name, and where you've sat in the same chair so long it's practically imprinted by your behind. You walk in disgusted, tired and hot. They'll hand you a cold beverage before you can even sit down. Out of a job, down to your last $10 and starving because your cupboard is bare and you need most of that tenner for gas to go look for a job? The gang will order a huge pile of wings and share, buy you a couple of drinks and make sure that when you leave you still have that $10 in your pocket when you leave. The internet is a huge and often impersonal place. Places like this forum, real communities, they're few and far between. People stick around here for good reason, and it's not just because Pentax-Ricoh makes some stellar cameras.
This describes the site perfectly. I'm relatively new here, but feel right at home!
05-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well said by all! I rest my case.
05-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's true--PF rocks!
05-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
See You Are Not a Photographer | Exposing fauxtographers since 2011 for examples of the work some "pros" produce.
Hahahaha, omg that's funny stuff. Thanks for the noontime laugh.
05-15-2015, 01:20 PM   #14
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
Pentax Forums is just a statistical outlier

Very perceptive. Pentax users are all normal - but none of us is average!
05-15-2015, 02:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

It's funny, but I compare canon and pentax forums like canon and pentax cameras: new-ish arrogant cheapo middle range vs old quality build and feel, solid.
Actually, I even don't remember when the last time I visited canon community