Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adorama and their 4% Rebate

I debated on my way home from work and on a run to the grocery store, whether or not to post this. We will see if I actually click on [submit]

Last Black Friday I bought a DA* 60-250 from Adorama. Lens arrived, it works fine, I am happy. It came with a 4% rebate - ok. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. I finally decide to buy a Sigma 18-35/f1.8 mainly for Astro, and it came thru Adorama. The lens came, works fine, I am happy.

The credit card bill arrives yesterday for the expected amount, but I started wondering about the 4% rebate on the Black Friday purchase. So, I call and inquire. I get handed off to another department, where upon the gentleman said its their policy that I needed to exercise it at the time of order. I reply that I was not given the opportunity. He replies that I need to read the Black Friday email receipt with their terms and conditions for the rebate and then I should apply it to my next order - with a bit of east coast/new york city attitude.

Being born and raised on the West Coast - I just replied, "Thank you, there will NOT be a next order - ever".... Adorama

I find myself getting tired of everyone else's policies, terms and conditions. Tired of the endless hoops that I need to jump through.....
  • My ca$h on the barrel head.
  • My credit card.
  • My check book.
  • I am the customer.
  • I will choose with whom to transact busine$$ with.
  • My rule$!
Will it make a difference to Adorama - Not in the slightest.

However, for me - It's the principle.

05-19-2015, 11:56 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote

Will it make a difference to Adorama - Not in the slightest.

It most certainly DOES make a difference, and I hope you will allow me to go some way towards repairing your opinion of Adorama's service to our valued customers. I personally take a huge amount of pride in my support for customers and will always work my hardest to ensure complete satisfaction.

Unfortunately I'm unable to identify your account without additional details, but if you could please email me directly: Helen@adorama.com with your order number, I can assure you of my early attention

Please accept my deepest apologies for your disappointment and frustration, and I very much look forward to hearing from you.
05-20-2015, 07:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
It most certainly DOES make a difference, and I hope you will allow me to go some way towards repairing your opinion of Adorama's service to our valued customers. I personally take a huge amount of pride in my support for customers and will always work my hardest to ensure complete satisfaction.
Good Morning Helen,

Thank you for your kind response. The problem is we need to make your job easier, not harder.

There are a couple of things in play here.
  • Adorama has a customer loyalty buying program - the 4% rebate, where 100% of the customers go away feeling like they just effectively paid 96% of the price. In reality, through its design and implementation, the actual cost of the program is substantially less. I'm guessing that the actual conversion rate is around 10% or so.
  • The other cost of the program to Adorama are the (probably small) pool of disenfranchised customers, that are created - one way or another. NYC is not the center of the universe that its residents think it is. There is an entire rest of the country to the West and South of the place - that doesn't enjoy being stiff-armed. And it even extends beyond the US with your international market.
  • The implementation of the system could have been much easier, just within Adorama's software system. The conversion rate would be a bit higher, but would have saved the repeated cost of having to explain the hoops and gauntlet that needs to be traversed by the customers. This would reduce the opportunity for disenfranchisement to a degree.
Please give Mr/Ms Adorama, or the CEO/President, Grand Pooba, or whomever, that I am just the cost of doing business within NYC....

05-20-2015, 08:07 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Good Morning Helen,

Thank you for your kind response. The problem is we need to make your job easier, not harder.

There are a couple of things in play here.
  • Adorama has a customer loyalty buying program - the 4% rebate, where 100% of the customers go away feeling like they just effectively paid 96% of the price. In reality, through its design and implementation, the actual cost of the program is substantially less. I'm guessing that the actual conversion rate is around 10% or so.
  • The other cost of the program to Adorama are the (probably small) pool of disenfranchised customers, that are created - one way or another. NYC is not the center of the universe that its residents think it is. There is an entire rest of the country to the West and South of the place - that doesn't enjoy being stiff-armed. And it even extends beyond the US with your international market.
  • The implementation of the system could have been much easier, just within Adorama's software system. The conversion rate would be a bit higher, but would have saved the repeated cost of having to explain the hoops and gauntlet that needs to be traversed by the customers. This would reduce the opportunity for disenfranchisement to a degree.
Please give Mr/Ms Adorama, or the CEO/President, Grand Pooba, or whomever, that I am just the cost of doing business within NYC....

Hang on; was it a 4% rebate or a 4% reward? (HUUUuuuge difference)

05-20-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Hang on; was it a 4% rebate or a 4% reward? (HUUUuuuge difference)
Good Evening,

It looks like I had already left for work and missed your last post. Reward or Rebate - I don't know? I just went through my receipts, and I see that the last 6 months were very unusually busy for me. From Adorama, I see I have purchased 3 major items - my K5IIs, the 60-250 and the 18-35. That totals to about $2.5K.

I essentially use the paper receipt/shipper that comes with the product as my final record (for warranty purposes). All my emails are on an old disk drive that I need to remount and extract 7 years worth from and convert to my new email system, in order to see what the email receipts indicated or not. I built a new server system too for image processing. I usually limit myself to one item a year, but last year was somewhat of a recapitalization during the holiday sales.

But all of that no longer matters. The 18-35 was a purchase experiment, through Greentoe, fulfilled by Adorama. By taking that route, I bypass all of this hassle up front and lop 10-12% right off the base purchase price. That is up to 3x what Adorama's internal programs offer. I don't have to worry about this rewards or that rebate program - when things are going to expire or not, lost promotion codes/emails (received or not received), or whatever. It all just comes off the top of the price at the time of the sale.

This, however is an excellent example of my original point. I don't know if it was a rebate or a reward or nothing - even if I qualified or received anything at all. In reading about one of your programs, you send out a promotion code 40 days after the purchase in an email, that is good for 6 months, then it instantaneously evaporates - poof. With all the email spam, and each and every vendor sending out daily, weekly or monthly - emails that they believe that I am positively going to be interested in, and once on - it's impossible to get off their email list. Sending out promotion codes in email is a sure way to just get lost in the shuffle, just tag it on the customers account. The current approach, means to me - that everything is disassociated from one another (promotion codes, from receipts, etc.).

I see that in going back through my paper shipper/receipts, on each one - it is noted that I am a return customer doing business with you - so Adorama's systems know and maintains all of this data (I have only been a software systems engineer/architect for 40 years now). Initially, I calling to inquire if I qualified for anything. The gentleman just did not want to acknowledge anything - other than I should make yet another purchase.

05-20-2015, 10:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Unexpectedly, about 2 weeks ago I got that reward email with a discount coupon (not rebate) for $27 from Adorama. Not sure what purchase it was triggered from, but thanks!

My work uses coupons, which I generally hate as a CS manager - people forget to use them or try to use them inappropriately. But, they are a common practice.
05-21-2015, 06:09 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Unexpectedly, about 2 weeks ago I got that reward email with a discount coupon (not rebate) for $27 from Adorama. Not sure what purchase it was triggered from, but thanks!

My work uses coupons, which I generally hate as a CS manager - people forget to use them or try to use them inappropriately. But, they are a common practice.
Morning Special,

I think that is my problem. I did not know to look, especially with my old PC system setting in parts (over in the corner now) and with all of my old emails sitting on the old drive. I though I could just pull the email directory across, but since I wound up switching email systems, I need to put the old system back together and then use a special extraction utility to pull the old emails to a transfer file, and then inject them into the new system. Need to then load the old program to be able to read them. I just have not gotten around to doing all of this yet. That is why, I just called up Adorama to ask/inquire about what ever their program was or is. Inquiring minds and all of that.

So, in actually calling, I think I fell into the crack of the system. Since November - with my initial purchase, I had no idea as to how the program worked - other then reading their pitches for 4% something, etc. My fault, their fault - no one's fault....

With all the email, spam, ads, and other crap being shot into my email's inbox - I don't have time to sort through it. I am lucky to be able to keep up with the email at work. The last thing I want to do when I get home from work is to trundle through a load of email.

Quite frankly, the receipt/shipper does not indicate to be expecting anything in the email in terms of any other program they might have in place. Who knew to expect anything, or how all of this worked.

An aside, I went to Staples the other week to pick up some stuff. In checking out, the girl at the checkout register asked for the phone number for their rewards program. So I ask - where are all the rewards from this program and the phone numbers that they are collecting. Oh we email you coupons. Well its my wife's email account, and she just deletes everything from everyone other than her friends that she is corresponding with. Same situation - who knew to expect anything. To Staples, its a wind fall - since the coupons are not used. The whole thing to us is a big waste. Do they tell you how the program works - sure, in an email.

Last edited by interested_observer; 05-21-2015 at 06:20 AM.
05-21-2015, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #8

I think I need to clarify why we offer 'rewards' on some items, and don't simply discount the items.

Pentax MAP (minimum advertised price) rules for some of their products do not allow us to list them online at any price below the MAP, however much we may want to - or we risk losing our authorised seller status. We appreciate the inconvenience, but are contractually obliged to follow Pentax rules in this matter.

One way around this is to offer 'rewards' after the sale of the item.

Wherever an item is eligible for a reward, you will see on the product page, below the price, something like this (in blue): Get 2% reward

If you click on it, a window opens with the full terms and conditions:

Get 2% reward
To Receive Your Percentage Back in Rewards:
Add a qualifying product to your Shopping Cart.
Click the Proceed to Checkout button and place your order.
You will receive Rewards equal to the indicated percentage of the purchase price, excluding taxes. We will also send you an e-mail confirmation.
40 days after shipment, your Rewards will automatically convert into a promotional code that can be used on a future purchase of any item sold by Adorama.com.
Once issued, the promotional code will be valid for six months.
Terms and Conditions

Rewards are promotional in nature and result in the issuance of a promotional code to be used on a future purchase at Adorama.com
The promotion is valid for a limited time only. Adorama reserves the right to modify or cancel it at any time.
Rewards or promotional codes cannot be converted directly or indirectly to cash.
If you return the qualifying camera or lens, we will subtract the value of your promotional code from your account.
Shipping and handling charges apply to all products, including items purchased with your Rewards.
Unless the promotion indicates otherwise, it may not be combined with other offers.
Promotional codes issued under this program will be valid for six months from date of issuance.
Offer valid in the United States only.
Void where prohibited.
Offer is nontransferable and may not be resold.

The reason we do not issue rewards until 40 days have elapsed, is to cover ourselves in case a customer returns an item within the returns period.

Another way that we can get around the MAP rules is to sell a unit as part of a kit. What items that are in the kit, don’t have to be specified nor how much % of the total cost do those items make up in the kit. That is why you see crazy offers with cheap filters, micro fiber cloths, and cheap camera bags being offered with top end equipment.

If anybody feels they may have missed their rewards email, you can email me: Helen@adorama.com, with your order number. I can then check whether you have any unused rewards.