Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2015, 07:17 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This usually takes less than 10 seconds to shut down the computer (PC).

Now, for the past few days, the screen displays the usual "Shutting Down" with the small rolling thingy .... and keeps on going, and going , and going ....
Yesterday, I let it run for 30-45 minutes and it still was not shutting down completely.
I've had this happen on my previous laptop. Analysis showed plenty bad sectors on the drive so drive was replaced. On that laptop, I went through three hard-disks and each time it was the same story: slow shutdown and analysis shows that the HD had plenty bad sectors.

I would definitely run the HD manufacturer's diagnostic tools to check the integrity of the drives.

Note: this was a normal HD, not SSD.

06-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #47
Veteran Member

I don't recall having seen a little shield there, but I know what you mean.
I mean the "blue with Windows graphics" screen that appears after you hit the "Shut Down" button and you see a little revolving circle while it says "Shutting Down".

---------- Post added 05-21-15 at 11:09 AM ----------

The "main" (C:/) drive is only a 64GB SSD ... not big at all !
I'll do a defrag and see what happens.
Thanks.
Do NOT defrag a SSD. You'll shorten it's lifespan, and it does nothing to fix or speed up things.

I have a similar issue sometimes, from what I have gathered it seems to be an issue with the computer waiting for some process to end or for a network connection to end or something like that. When I try to deactivate my ethernet connection sometimes my computer fails, it will try for hours. That is most likely the culprit in my case, though what causes that and how to fix it...

---------- Post added 28-06-15 at 20:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Free until it becomes a subscription à la Photoshop is my guess.
It won't. If you get it in the first year it will be free forever (on that machine), with all the security updates etc. you'd get had you bought it. If you want to upgrade after the first year you will have to pay the full retail upgrade price. You'll get the same Windows license etc. that the others got for free.

It should also only download the files once you agree to it...

Last edited by kadajawi; 06-28-2015 at 11:03 AM.
06-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
once you agree to it...
... and that is the scary part.
How much "small print" is there I wonder.
06-28-2015, 04:33 PM   #49
Veteran Member

... and that is the scary part.
How much "small print" is there I wonder.
I haven't heard of anything particularly scary... they really just want to move people forward to the latest version to avoid a disaster like Windows XP again. It's the same with Apple... they also give free or almost free system updates. Or with Android, if your phone manufacturer is nice enough (they won't charge for updates anyway) and with iOS. Microsoft just joined everyone else.

Oh, there is one thing I think... if you upgrade to the Home version (i.e. your old Windows is the Home edition) updates will be installed automatically IIRC. But that's the only thing. Windows 10 Pro users can postpone.

06-30-2015, 05:11 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Oh, there is one thing I think... if you upgrade to the Home version (i.e. your old Windows is the Home edition) updates will be installed automatically IIRC.
For me an extremely good reason not to upgrade to Win10. I need to be able to decide when I run the update and which updates to apply at that time. If that's not possible, I will probably blow my whole daytime bandwidth budget for the month when I switch the computer on if I can't do that.
06-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
For me an extremely good reason not to upgrade to Win10. I need to be able to decide when I run the update and which updates to apply at that time. If that's not possible, I will probably blow my whole daytime bandwidth budget for the month when I switch the computer on if I can't do that.
From what I know the Pro version lets you do that. So unless you now have Home you should keep the ability. We will have to see, maybe there'll be some other way to tell it to delay...