Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help needed : extremely SLOW Windows 7 64 bits "Shut Down"

I am hoping to find an answer to this query ... becoming a real nuisance for the past two or three days:

Very , very slow "Shutting Down"

Here is what I always do:

1. Close all programs
2. Go to the little "Start" button (icon) at the bottom left in the "bar".
3. Go to "Shut Down" button and click on that (this usually will close all programs anyway but I always make sure nothing is running before the shut down procedure).

This usually takes less than 10 seconds to shut down the computer (PC).

Now, for the past few days, the screen displays the usual "Shutting Down" with the small rolling thingy .... and keeps on going, and going , and going ....
Yesterday, I let it run for 30-45 minutes and it still was not shutting down completely.
I "forced" it to shut down ... not a great way to do this but what else could I do ?

It still boots up as expected though ... no problem there. If anything, perhaps a bit slower than before by a few seconds, or maybe it's my imagination.

So, I am really hoping someone with (better than mine) expertise with this will offer a solution.

Thank you !!

JP

05-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does the Shutdown button have a little shield on it?
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I "forced" it to shut down
Do you mean the darkened screen that says Windows is waiting for "something" to close? Are there any programs listed there, or is that area blank?
05-21-2015, 01:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The computer has to refresh the virtual memory file on disk and close down preferences files etc, which can be huge, and so it's not a good idea to force it to shut down.

Perhaps you need to change it to a smaller size and/or defrag your drive. My computer varies in the time it takes to shut down depending on what software and how much activity it's seen over the day.
05-21-2015, 03:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you know if auto update is on or off. Some windows updates are huge and can take time to shut down, as they do the update.

05-21-2015, 03:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Go into Control Panel, Programs & Features and see if any software have installed in the last few days. Easiest way is to click on the Installed On date, which will list them by date. If nothing there is new, click on View Installed Updates. If you see some new Window files from the past few days, you can try uninstalling them and see if that helps. Lastly, you can try a system restore to the last good save, but be forewarned, you will lose any programs you've added since the save.
05-21-2015, 06:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Do you know if auto update is on or off. Some windows updates are huge and can take time to shut down, as they do the update.
This would be my first guess as well.
05-21-2015, 07:39 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The computer has to refresh the virtual memory file on disk and close down preferences files etc, which can be huge,
Another good reason to have sufficient RAM and not use a pagefile.

05-21-2015, 08:07 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Does the Shutdown button have a little shield on it? Do you mean the darkened screen that says Windows is waiting for "something" to close? Are there any programs listed there, or is that area blank?
I don't recall having seen a little shield there, but I know what you mean.
I mean the "blue with Windows graphics" screen that appears after you hit the "Shut Down" button and you see a little revolving circle while it says "Shutting Down".

---------- Post added 05-21-15 at 11:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The computer has to refresh the virtual memory file on disk and close down preferences files etc, which can be huge, and so it's not a good idea to force it to shut down.

Perhaps you need to change it to a smaller size and/or defrag your drive. My computer varies in the time it takes to shut down depending on what software and how much activity it's seen over the day.
The "main" (C:/) drive is only a 64GB SSD ... not big at all !
I'll do a defrag and see what happens.
Thanks.
05-21-2015, 08:10 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I think he's referring to a small shield that appears on the "Shut Down" button (in the Start Menu) when there are updates to be installed.
05-21-2015, 08:13 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Not on "auto":
I always get a message telling me "updates are available" and I choose whether to install them or not. I usually do.
Which reminds me: this started to happen following a recent Windows Update !

When the updates are to be installed and I hit the "Shut Down" button , of course it will take a long time to shut down.
I am well aware of this processus.

---------- Post added 05-21-15 at 11:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Go into Control Panel, Programs & Features and see if any software have installed in the last few days. Easiest way is to click on the Installed On date, which will list them by date. If nothing there is new, click on View Installed Updates. If you see some new Window files from the past few days, you can try uninstalling them and see if that helps. Lastly, you can try a system restore to the last good save, but be forewarned, you will lose any programs you've added since the save.
That, I tried once and went back to a date which I knew the computer was functioning properly upon shut down.
Made a difference that day but then the slow shut down reappear the next day.
I know that any programs will disappear if they have been installed after the restore date.

---------- Post added 05-21-15 at 11:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Another good reason to have sufficient RAM and not use a pagefile.
Someone here, a while ago, mentioned something about the pagefile ... I browsed a bit in that but never proceeded to do anything about it.
I am way to scared to type in/write something that will bug my PC.

JP

---------- Post added 05-21-15 at 11:22 AM ----------

Update: yesterday, after having posted this thread, I had to "force" shut the PC (just pressed the ON/OFF switch until it shut down) .... not a great idea, I know, but this had been "shutting down" for half an hour already).
Booted the computer again ... browsed a few files to see if all was intact, and shut down "as usual" .... no problem that time ! Go figure !

I will be back at the PC tonight and test it again for shut down ....

JP
05-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If the shut down worked OK, and then went back the same the next day, something changed back again. Look though your Windows Updates and see if anything was updated that day and try deleting it.
05-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
If the shut down worked OK, and then went back the same the next day, something changed back again. Look though your Windows Updates and see if anything was updated that day and try deleting it.
Yeah ... it wouldn't be the first time this happens with those darn updates I'll see what's there.
Thanks for the reminder.

JP
05-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

quite possibly updates......glarysoft has a good utility program for free......registery error and temporary file cleaner.....works good with my old windows vista and fine on 8
05-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #14
Pentaxian

When my windows updated to 8.1 my computer slowed down and it took forever to shut down & had to a "Force" shut down a few times. I did a Defrag and it worked, made my computer go way faster.
05-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter