05-28-2015, 03:51 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
television: Samsungs
Home theater amp: Onkyo
speakers: Paradigm
vehicles: Volkswagen/Audi
car tires: Continental
cellphone: blackberry (yet I'm using a Sony Z3 and an iphone6 as my daily drivers for personal/work respectively)
film: Kodak
Cameras: Pentax
lighting: Profoto
lighting modifiers: Elinchrome
watch: Tissot
SD Cards: Sandisc
batteries: Duracell
computers: MSI
guitars: Gibson
guitar amps: Orange/Vox
gaming: Xbox > Sony
Toothpaste: Crest Pro
Shoes: Merrell

really I could go on forever. :P

I'm pretty loyal to my products, and lot of it has to do with strong research I do before I buy. and I think that's for most Pentax owners...after all aside from Legacy users I'm sure a very large portion of Pentax users went with the brand due to researching products.

like others there are many brands I avoid... and most are due to personal experience. I for one will never buy a Kia or Hyundai after working for them. I'll never buy another Apple computer (suffered through 3 years of that OS....yeuck). I'll never buy another Ford after the pain and suffering of my Focus or my aunts 2014 Escape (exception would be a Ford Raptor). I'll probably never ever buy a Canon. Couldn't see myself purchasing a Samsung cellphone. yes, I'm opinionated.

Last edited by Wired; 05-28-2015 at 04:00 PM.
05-29-2015, 06:10 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There's a firm in Victoria (Oz) that builds Chapron replicas on Safari platforms. A DS21 motor updated with modern electronic fuel-injection in one of those would be fabulous.
I wouldn't want an updated DS motor. I'd want a new Maserati motor in an old SM. Well, maybe upgraded a bit to cope with the power plant... just a bit. Citroen AFAIK had developed a system so their cars (in the 70s) could lean into corners. That. In a SM.

As far as updated DS goes... what about the C5 Exclusive? Quite possibly the last hydropneumatic car. At least from Citroen.

I don't quite understand the Samsung TVs. They are just average. LG had OLED ones that are quite good. Sony has managed to create decent LCD ones (X900B?). And Panasonic had the best TVs ever made... ST60, VT60, ZT60).
05-29-2015, 06:33 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Motorcycles - Kawasaki
Bicycles - Cannondale
TV - Samsung
Computers - Asus
Phones - HTC
Cars - Nissan
Camera Bags - ThinkTank
Vacation spots - UK
Makeup - Clinique

05-29-2015, 08:11 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I wouldn't want an updated DS motor. I'd want a new Maserati motor in an old SM. Well, maybe upgraded a bit to cope with the power plant... just a bit. Citroen AFAIK had developed a system so their cars (in the 70s) could lean into corners. That. In a SM.

As far as updated DS goes... what about the C5 Exclusive? Quite possibly the last hydropneumatic car. At least from Citroen.

I don't quite understand the Samsung TVs. They are just average. LG had OLED ones that are quite good. Sony has managed to create decent LCD ones (X900B?). And Panasonic had the best TVs ever made... ST60, VT60, ZT60).
The technology cycles in my opinion. I had an LG, but it's been unreliable. It had a better screen than Samsung at the time. When I bought my last TV the Samsung had the better picture for the price. It's a back and forth with those two brands.

Sony does make great screens, but I feel their blacks are muddy. Panasonic stuff....I've never had anything they make last me more than a year.
05-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
The technology cycles in my opinion. I had an LG, but it's been unreliable. It had a better screen than Samsung at the time. When I bought my last TV the Samsung had the better picture for the price. It's a back and forth with those two brands.

Sony does make great screens, but I feel their blacks are muddy. Panasonic stuff....I've never had anything they make last me more than a year.
Never had problems with Panasonic stuff... LG... oh yes. Phone died... sent it in, got it back with another defect. Sent it in again. A while later again defective... and that phone wasn't nearly used as much as my Motorola, HTC and Samsung phones. A relative has the same LG plasma I have, and it died. Mine is still ok, but fingers crossed.

And in terms of image quality I don't expect any screen of any price in the next few years to get close to the last plasmas Panasonic produced.

I don't think Samsung and LG produce good blacks... the high end Samsung plasmas yes, and the OLED LGs. Other than that... Sony at least gets the colors pleasant. And then there is this cancer of curved screens...
05-29-2015, 11:26 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Never had problems with Panasonic stuff... LG... oh yes. Phone died... sent it in, got it back with another defect. Sent it in again. A while later again defective... and that phone wasn't nearly used as much as my Motorola, HTC and Samsung phones. A relative has the same LG plasma I have, and it died. Mine is still ok, but fingers crossed.

And in terms of image quality I don't expect any screen of any price in the next few years to get close to the last plasmas Panasonic produced.

I don't think Samsung and LG produce good blacks... the high end Samsung plasmas yes, and the OLED LGs. Other than that... Sony at least gets the colors pleasant. And then there is this cancer of curved screens...
curved screens are stupid, hands down.

I've had such bad luck with Sony screens.... so I try and avoid them. :P

05-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Car: (1) Currently tinkering with a FIAT 500
Antique motorscooters: (3 total) Lambrettas
Jeans: (Many) Levis 508 & 522
Guitars: (6, but only 2 are custom) Custom made by me - Stratocaster with stereo wiring & Jazzmaster 12 string with humbuckers.
Stereo: Vacuum tubes
NBA Team: GS Warriors
MLB Team: SF Giants

Last edited by lammie200; 06-01-2015 at 03:22 PM.
05-29-2015, 10:16 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never had problems with Panasonic stuff... LG... oh yes. Phone died... sent it in, got it back with another defect. Sent it in again. A while later again defective... and that phone wasn't nearly used as much as my Motorola, HTC and Samsung phones.
Daily use for (at least) nine years now...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My last three (used) cars have been Mazdas.
They're just a little different, like Pentax.

My main reason for sticking with Mazda has been Jim Coyle, the great service manager at Wantagh Mazda.
Kinda like my sticking with Pentax because of Eric Hendrickson...

Chris
05-31-2015, 02:21 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
My last three (used) cars have been Mazdas.
They're just a little different, like Pentax.

My main reason for sticking with Mazda has been Jim Coyle, the great service manager at Wantagh Mazda.
Kinda like my sticking with Pentax because of Eric Hendrickson...

Chris
I always... well, for the past 5 years or so thought of Mazda as the Europeans amongst the Japanese brands. They just have that little bit extra... that little bit of extra flair, style and fun... but are still reliable. The other Japanese are too much like white goods to me.

Oh my. I couldn't live without a smartphone anymore. The phone part is not so important, everything else it does is.

Last edited by kadajawi; 05-31-2015 at 02:43 PM.
05-31-2015, 03:30 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always... well, for the past 5 years or so thought of Mazda as the Europeans amongst the Japanese brands.
There was a good reason for that: mostly, they were just European Fords in party frocks, except that the Fords kept the more capable rear suspension for their own-badged products, resulting in the Focus being a far better-handling car than the Mazda equivalent. Whether that's changed recently or not, I'm not sure.
06-01-2015, 04:00 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There was a good reason for that: mostly, they were just European Fords in party frocks, except that the Fords kept the more capable rear suspension for their own-badged products, resulting in the Focus being a far better-handling car than the Mazda equivalent. Whether that's changed recently or not, I'm not sure.
Yup. Ford and Mazda have gone separate ways though, so these new Mazda's AFAIK don't use Ford parts. It's funny though how the old, Ford based Mazda's were very reliable, much more so than the Ford models they were based on.

Btw., the new Mazda 2 I believe is going to be rebadged as a Toyota or Scion in the US?
06-01-2015, 04:46 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
Daily use for (at least) nine years now...
Along those lines I suppose my Pentax for mobile phones is Nokia, but that's only because I've only ever had a Nokia 2310.

Fuel: Wood
Martial art: Kuk Sool Won TM
Operating system: Xubuntu
Music download service: Bandcamp

Everything else: Research.
06-01-2015, 05:08 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
Here's a kicker for me. The more hate these products get or the more people try to persuade me to go with the "more popular" things out, the more loyal I become. I'm sure we can relate as Pentaxians.
I am NOT brand loyal. But we do think alike when it comes this paragraph above.

Being the black sheep (and the affordability) was what attracted me to Pentax in the first place. Currently though Sony seems to be getting the most flack. Especially on these forums. It's probably the main reason why I got that A7r. That and the small form factor, FF sensor and affordability.

Same goes for cars for me. After years of having bad luck with "durable" Audi and Volkswagen I decided to go for a fun car instead. A beautiful tiny Alfa Romeo with 224 horsepower shoehorned in it. Everybody tried to convince me not to do it because they break down so often, and the paint would peel, and what not. Everybody seemed to have anecdotes. But it only resulted in wanting it more. Turns out that I love the brand. Driving it has been a fantastic experience. (Even though it does indeed require some extra maintenance. LOL!)