Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-24-2015, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got my K3 on the national News in AUS

The main TV news in Australia is the ABC.
They did a 2 minute segment on an Albino sparrow I have been photographing and filming. Apologies the video of the sparrows was taken with a canon.

The news cameraman did a great shot of me looking down my big lens focusing on my K3

Sorry this is a bit long winded: Clicking on the link get to the date below. The interview starts at 20.30 minutes into the news

Watching ABC News Sunday (VIC) 24/5/2015 in iview
ABC News Sunday (VIC) - 24/5/2015 : ABC iview

The photos are super soft due to the cheap tinting on the windows of the home I was photographing from. I waited for hours and hours with an open window and it wouldn't come from its cover. I couldn't believe how much the tinting affected quality of the image as I have been photographing through glass for decades.

Go pentax

05-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #2

I saw that, and noticed the slightly soft images, but now you explained the images where shot thru a tinted window, the question I'm asking is what lens was on the k3 ?.
by the way great images !.
05-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Marco
I'm lucky enough to have a sigma 500 prime. I had it mounted on a tripod and gimble. The light on the all 4 occasions was crap - which probably worked well as the whites would have been burnt out. I used spot metering to provide the best chance of some detail in the white, Normally i can count the feathers but not with the cheap tinting on these windows.

I suppose orbost is cold this morning
05-24-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Didn't see that story but I can trade you one... ;-)

I used the K3 for video - must have been only the 2nd or 3rd time since new, for a video of an event in FNQ commemorating the 10th year of the Lockhart River aricraft disaster. Footage was requested via contacts by SBS and a few seconds was used on the coverage that night. Stills were used on the front page of the local weekly newspaper the next edition.

05-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Hi Marco
I'm lucky enough to have a sigma 500 prime. I had it mounted on a tripod and gimble. The light on the all 4 occasions was crap - which probably worked well as the whites would have been burnt out. I used spot metering to provide the best chance of some detail in the white, Normally i can count the feathers but not with the cheap tinting on these windows.

I suppose orbost is cold this morning
bloody freezing , but it's gonna get colder soon, not happy ,
I might take some pics of the golden colored leaves.
05-24-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
FNQ commemorating the 10th year of the Lockhart River aricraft disaster. Footage was requested via contacts by SBS and a few seconds was used on the coverage that night. Stills were used on the front page of the local weekly newspaper the next edition.
Nice spot to be hanging out to take photos and video. Hope you didn't have anyone connected to closely to the disaster.
05-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great story but looks like the link is only viewable in Australia. Maybe someone can put the clip on YouTube for wider viewing.

05-24-2015, 09:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
The main TV news in Australia is the ABC.
They did a 2 minute segment on an Albino sparrow I have been photographing and filming. Apologies the video of the sparrows was taken with a canon.

The news cameraman did a great shot of me looking down my big lens focusing on my K3

Sorry this is a bit long winded: Clicking on the link get to the date below. The interview starts at 20.30 minutes into the news

Watching ABC News Sunday (VIC) 24/5/2015 in iview
ABC News Sunday (VIC) - 24/5/2015 : ABC iview

The photos are super soft due to the cheap tinting on the windows of the home I was photographing from. I waited for hours and hours with an open window and it wouldn't come from its cover. I couldn't believe how much the tinting affected quality of the image as I have been photographing through glass for decades.

Go pentax
A wonderful story Bob and I hope you'll keep us informed with updates.

---------- Post added 25-05-15 at 01:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Great story but looks like the link is only viewable in Australia. Maybe someone can put the clip on YouTube for wider viewing.
If you use Chrome as your browser you can get an extension called Hola, which is a proxy plugin that allows you to select a different country from which you can view geographically restricted content.
05-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #9

NO NOT ANYONE i KNOW,
I'm thinking of trying out some bird pic's , I've only got a pentax fa 80-320 to play with for now, but hope to upgrade in the future.
05-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hah! I thought it might have been you!!
In fact I PM'ed you last night asking that very question....

Great stuff Bob.
Good to see PENTAX in big capital letters on the National Broadcaster. Lucky they didn't get it from behind and show that tiny little RICOH under the LCD

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 05-24-2015 at 10:39 PM.