Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #16

In the Cook Islands they use Vick's to treat the mosquito bites, not as a repellent.

Some people use Tiger Balm as a repellent but the directions say it is for the treating insect bites. The smell of the red stuff will keep most living creatures away. Mostly camphor, menthol and perhaps cedar oil anyway.

06-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Permethrin for your clothes. Effective against ticks too, which Deet isn't. And odorless.

https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin-premium-insect-repellent/
Permethrin seems to be a regulated substance in Canada. Even Sawyer's low-concentration repellent isn't available, except by importing it from the U.S. from a vendor selling through Amazon.ca.
06-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Permethrin seems to be a regulated substance in Canada. Even Sawyer's low-concentration repellent isn't available, except by importing it from the U.S. from a vendor selling through Amazon.ca.
I'm sure there are other dangerous things that Canada regulates that you can easily get in the US too
06-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mosquitoes and ticks love me and when they are bad here they are terrible! DEET has been my only effective solution. I think I tried some Permethrin stuff a while back but it didn't work for me. Maybe I should give it another shot. I hate how nasty DEET seems but mosquito-born illness is a real and present threat here now so I cover up and use the chemicals.

Last edited by mattb123; 06-01-2015 at 01:49 PM.
06-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Picaridin is also effective on biting flies that ignore DEET. Works on ticks also I believe...
06-01-2015, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #21

Lots of good points here. I hate mosquitoes and backpack so I have systematically tested a lot of ideas. Studies show Deet to be very effective. Long term studies show no harm when used properly. Proper use is a 30% Deet solution. Higher percentage is just nasty and brings no additional benefits. Best Deet was a Sawyer product that put the Deet into tiny protein molecules. The Deet evaporates at a steady and slow rate and minimizes the amount on your skin. Not sure they still make it. 3M Ultra uses the same process but is much more expensive and I believe a higher concentration of Deet.

The Sawyer clothing treatment is great. Make sure you apply properly and completely.

Some people really do attract Mosquitos more than others. I was one of those.

Avoid Dark clothing is you can as that is an added attraction. The primary way they find you is body heat (infrared) and by following the trail of CO2 you give off. So is you are working hard and breathing hard you are going to be a neon light to them.

Of course dawn and dusk are worse but at the right time of year it doesn't matter what time of day.

I carry a head net that goes over my hat just because at times I can't stand them hovering near my face looking for an are I didn't get Deet on.

Lastly, my dad worked as a logger most of his life and said they did nothing more than rub a thin layer of diesal fuel on their hard hats and they had no mosquito problems. So if you get really desperate... Lol
06-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Avon skin so soft. Due to fda regulations they can't call it a bug repellant. This was known about even when I was in the army in the 80s. I never tried it I had a thing if 100 percent deet which worked.

There is some stuff on Amazon for babies that works well. I forget the name. It is citronella based.

You can order concentrated permethrin cheap from doyourownpestcontrol dot com.
We had a lice scare in December

06-01-2015, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ben's. It's 100% Deet. It works! Just don't take a bath in the stuff.
Permethrin is regulated in the US also except in low strength shampoos and ointments to kill lice. Stronger solutions require a prescription. I don't know how well it works as a mosquito repellent but it's the active ingredient in most flea and tick shampoos you buy for your pets.
06-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Avon skin-so-soft has worked for me also, just had to re-apply often. Remainds me to look up a current agent to buy more, hope they still make the good stuff.
06-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #25
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Avon skin-so-soft has worked for me also, just had to re-apply often. Remainds me to look up a current agent to buy more, hope they still make the good stuff.
Actually, Avon has had a bug repellent on the market for some time now.

https://www.avon.com/category/bath-body/insect-repellents?s=AV_MSN_Product&c...CID=470_884549

Referring to Skin-So-Soft, there's many things it's been used for!

100+ uses for Avon Skin So Soft - Alternate uses for Skin So Soft
06-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I like a big fat cigar. Mosquitoes and biting flies will usually leave you alone if you are in a cloud of smoke.
06-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A 4000v bugzapper.
06-02-2015, 06:53 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I'm sure there are other dangerous things that Canada regulates that you can easily get in the US too
Next time I order a Saturday Night Special over the internet, I'll order some Sawyer repellent so I can save on shipping.
06-02-2015, 07:07 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I live about 10 miles from Assateague Island, MD and frequent this place for my wildlife photography.
If you haven't ever been, it's a great place to put on your camping list!
been to Assateague Island couple times camping... and mosquitoes there is insane. LOL

been searching for repellent as well, but none seem to work effectively for me.
I tried Permethrin, but it has a very strong chemical smell (like those pesticide smell) that my wife can't stand it - she think this chemical will kill us before the mosquitoes does...

tried several "natural ingredient" ones, but don't have good luck with them as well.
06-02-2015, 07:47 AM   #30

Photos: Albums
There are many essential oils that repel mosquitoes. I have made a balm and added the essential oils to it and it has worked very well.

Delia