Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2015, 08:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's your preferred mosquito repellent?

I live about 10 miles from Assateague Island, MD and frequent this place for my wildlife photography.
If you haven't ever been, it's a great place to put on your camping list!

However, the locals all joke about the mosquito being the 'State bird'...
Last year I counted over 100+ bites on my body, head to toe. And yes I had spray on, 90+% deet. Re-applying every hour or so...
As I'm looking for deet-less options this year, preferably alternatives that can be handmade or natural remedies. I'm curious as to what the members here have to suggest!

I've heard of Vicks Vapor rub being a good option, yet sounds expensive if I go 3-4 times a week... Especially as a full-body repellent.
I've also heard of a special vinegar formula with dried herbs and lavender... Could also be an option, yet sounds PUNGENT!

and for those suggesting to bundle up... Not an option.
It was almost 90 degrees last weekend and I went in jeans, long socks, boots, long-sleeve shirt and a waterproof jacket with hood up and sunglasses.
I came home with over 10 bites on my back and shoulders. They bit right through two layers of clothing!

Ticks are also an issue, so I generally wear long socks, jeans and boots whenever I go. But it would be oh so nice to wear a t-shirt on those 90+ degree days!.

Let me know if you have a preferred product, or if you have a homemade remedy and are willing to share your family secret we'd all greatly appreciate it (I especially!)

Cheers!

06-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The stuff made from Picaridin is as effective as deet but won't melt your clothes and gear like deet will on some things (the lotion lasts the longest) -- look for "natrapel" and Sawyer-brand stuff that uses Picaridin. (Using some Deet and some of this will probably be most effective -- don't use deet on your clothes if they aren't natural fibers). Picardin also doesn't stink like deet.

If you are sitting in one place (and it isn't too windy), you can use one of those little battery or butune powered things with a fan that you clip on your belt that will create a bubble around you -- however those the "-thrin" class chemicals which are supposedly very harmful to birds, cats, and reptiles, so I'd avoid that in areas where you are in very close proximity to the wildlife in question.

All of the "natural" things I have tried (that you apply to yourself) only work for a very short time and are pretty much useless in a heavy mosquito area, but you know, burning some citronella candles at your campsite can be a small help...
06-01-2015, 08:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Permethrin for your clothes. Effective against ticks too, which Deet isn't. And odorless.

https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin-premium-insect-repellent/
06-01-2015, 08:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The stuff made from Picaridin is as effective as deet but won't melt your clothes and gear like deet will on some things (the lotion lasts the longest) -- look for "natrapel" and Sawyer-brand stuff that uses Picaridin. (Using some Deet and some of this will probably be most effective -- don't use deet on your clothes if they aren't natural fibers). Picardin also doesn't stink like deet.

If you are sitting in one place (and it isn't too windy), you can use one of those little battery or butune powered things with a fan that you clip on your belt that will create a bubble around you -- however those the "-thrin" class chemicals which are supposedly very harmful to birds, cats, and reptiles, so I'd avoid that in areas where you are in very close proximity to the wildlife in question.

All of the "natural" things I have tried (that you apply to yourself) only work for a very short time and are pretty much useless in a heavy mosquito area, but you know, burning some citronella candles at your campsite can be a small help...
Thanks for the response!
I guess my biggest concern is harming the wildlife (other than mosquitos... they can all die.)

I've gone the last two times with nothing on but thick heavy clothing. I go home drenched in sweat and the temps are just going to increase over the next few months...
I don't mind bundling up to avoid putting strong chemicals on in the field, but I also don't want to heat stroke!

I'll look into Picaridin, thanks!

Maybe I just need to smoke a cigar every time I go...

06-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

After Boriscleto put his answer in, I searched google and found it at Amazon, here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-Permethrin-Clothing-Repellent/dp/B00MA950E0

QuoteQuote:
Maybe I just need to smoke a cigar every time I go...
And that won't help. I smoke cigars all the time and out shooting wildlife, mosquitoes don't even care you are.
06-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
After Boriscleto put his answer in, I searched google and found it at Amazon, here:

Amazon.com: Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Trigger Spray, 12-Ounce: Sports & Outdoors

And that won't help. I smoke cigars all the time and out shooting wildlife, mosquitoes don't even care you are.
Permathrine is actually highly toxic to bees and other beneficial insects.
I'm not out to kill anything, I just want to repel the biting insects...

Picaridin is a safer option, I believe...

The thing is, mosquitos are attracted to our CO2 emissions. If we can figure out a way to reduce our CO2 cloud, that's the best repellent.
Some of my friends don't put a drop on their skin and leave with 1-2 bites from all day shooting. I'll be loaded up with DEET and clothes and walk out with bites in the triple digits..
I must be emitting a large amount of carbon dioxide. (sorry Al Gore!)
06-01-2015, 09:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yes, you can get those ones that treat your clothes beforehand and last several washes (supposedly) -- those probably won't harm anything beneficial. Some people tend to get bit more than others, but when you're in a marsh or something (like I often am around here) anybody is going to get eaten alive in mosquito season if they don't have some protection. I've been using the Picaridin lately (I just discovered it existed), seems to work, some people said it doesn't work for them (or wasn't as sweat resistant) so I'd bring deet as well while you test.

06-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #8

Permethrin is the way to go. Mosquitoes love me and I am very allergic to the bites. When ever I visit Hawaii or the Cook Islands I spray my clothes and it's good for two weeks. I got a touch of Dengue Fever in the Cook Islands so I make sure I am protected. I don't want to go through that again.

DEET has some serious health concerns and it reacts to many resin (plastic) and other materials, bleaches colors on clothing. Nothing like having a hand or cheek print permanently etched into your equipment. It's happened to me before. However it is quite effective. I used a time-release product until I started using Permethrin.

I was using a citronella based repellent that was water resistant and was actually quite effective but haven't been able to find it later on.

You are not spraying Permethrin around if you just treat your clothing so it isn't going to affect bees and the like.

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-01-2015 at 09:46 AM.
06-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My sporting goods store recommended this product; and I've had good luck with it. Mosquitoes absolutely cover me outdoors, and this product does work for me.

Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent - 4 oz. Pump Spray | CriticalTool.com

It's available in many places, including EBay.
06-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Possum fat spread liberally will keep away insects and anything else that might get withing 50 feet of you. It's easy to find on the roadsides here or in the center of the highway. Day old stuff works great, week old stuff is foolproof!

Regards!
06-01-2015, 09:55 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I wouldn't spray that around where I was going to be, I'd spray my clothes before wearing them.
06-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I know someone who swears by cedar oil. I gave it a try one evening on Camel's Hump, VT, and didn't get bitten then, but haven't used it since.
06-01-2015, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Don't use Vicks on large portions of your body. It can make you quite sick if you do. Too much camphor and petrolium. I did that once at camp when I was a kid because I was desperate to keep them off and we had no more deet. I got so sick they had to take me to the ER. Turns out you can't cover large areas of your body with it. It's fine on your chest or as liniment on one leg or something, but your body can't take if if you completely cover yourself with it. I got the chills real bad and then I began to overheat and vomit. It wasn't pretty. The doctor told me this and told me never to use it that way again. Only in limited amounts. Same with Tiger Balm and that.
06-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Don't use Vicks on large portions of your body. It can make you quite sick if you do. Too much camphor and petrolium. I did that once at camp when I was a kid because I was desperate to keep them off and we had no more deet. I got so sick they had to take me to the ER. Turns out you can't cover large areas of your body with it. It's fine on your chest or as liniment on one leg or something, but your body can't take if if you completely cover yourself with it. I got the chills real bad and then I began to overheat and vomit. It wasn't pretty. The doctor told me this and told me never to use it that way again. Only in limited amounts. Same with Tiger Balm and that.
GOOD INFO!

Shheww, I'm sorry you had to go through that!

So maybe leave the Vicks at home and get Permethrin instead for the clothes, and something safe for face and hands...
06-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
The thing is, mosquitos are attracted to our CO2 emissions. If we can figure out a way to reduce our CO2 cloud, that's the best repellent.
Maybe NASA is willing to sell surplus or used CO2 scrubbers from the space shuttle program. I wonder if they're small enough to install in a gas mask.