Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2015, 12:14 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
What's your preferred mosquito repellent?
A screen door.

06-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Deet or a bug tent are my two referred options, with the bug tent bug tent most effective, we also have one of those Thermacell Mosquito Repellent which is particularly effective when sitting around a campsite in a low wind situation.
06-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
A screen door.
This makes me think...
Swan Blind, install some mesh windows and slot the Bigma into the front...

lol

06-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
A screen door.
Winter is more effective.

06-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #35
Veteran Member

There's no repellent on earth that can seemingly keep the little vamps off me completely. Mosquitoes, No See Ums, flies, any bug that likes to bite and that likes blood thinks I'm human caviar. We have a big problem with the little No See Ums and tiger mosquitoes around here. Every window in the house closed, all the vents closed and they still get inside some nights. I have to spray Deep Woods Off on me some nights just to sit at the computer. That works pretty well until they get really fierce, but even that doesn't work 100% so I keep a tube of Benadryl handy. I have the great joy of being allergic to most blood sucking bugs, bees, wasps, fire ants and the like. A bug bites or stings me and I react in a BIG way. The bites swell to the point of being several inches big if I don't hit them immediately with the Benadryl. Stinging bugs like wasps and bees have put me in the hospital.
06-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #36
Veteran Member

You can just order 100 percent on the Internet.

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Ben's. It's 100% Deet. It works! Just don't take a bath in the stuff.
Permethrin is regulated in the US also except in low strength shampoos and ointments to kill lice. Stronger solutions require a prescription. I don't know how well it works as a mosquito repellent but it's the active ingredient in most flea and tick shampoos you buy for your pets.
06-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
There's no repellent on earth that can seemingly keep the little vamps off me completely. Mosquitoes, No See Ums, flies, any bug that likes to bite and that likes blood thinks I'm human caviar. We have a big problem with the little No See Ums and tiger mosquitoes around here. Every window in the house closed, all the vents closed and they still get inside some nights. I have to spray Deep Woods Off on me some nights just to sit at the computer. That works pretty well until they get really fierce, but even that doesn't work 100% so I keep a tube of Benadryl handy. I have the great joy of being allergic to most blood sucking bugs, bees, wasps, fire ants and the like. A bug bites or stings me and I react in a BIG way. The bites swell to the point of being several inches big if I don't hit them immediately with the Benadryl. Stinging bugs like wasps and bees have put me in the hospital.
I too am allergic to biting bugs, that's the biggest reason for writing this thread!
I feel your pain! (literally...)

The last time I went out I was completely covered head to toe in thick clothing, and it was 90 degrees out. I got bit once on my shoulder blade and an asian tiger mosquito bit me in my forehead... Odd place to receive a mosquito bite...
I literally had a welt the size of a golf ball above my right eye for 5 days. I used a cortisone which helped, tagged teamed with Benadryl.

I often wonder why these insects even exist...

Especially the asian tiger mosquitos... If I see something land on me with stripes, I IMMEDIATELY run to the car and take a Benadryl because I know what's to come.

Tough life, but it won't stop me. I love getting out in the wild and exploring with my Pentax. There's no better way to relax in my mind.
Just bought an inflatable SUP (Red Paddle Co). I can't wait to get my dry bags in the mail so I can explore even farther.
I can't say for certain whether this will help or hurt my mosquito problem, but there are small islands all over that I'm dying to get to.

06-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Here is another vote for Repel Lemon Eucalyptus. I shoot in the tropics on a regular basis and didn't want to use DEET. You can apply Repel to the skin with no worries. It lasts about 3 hours.
06-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #39
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
What's your preferred mosquito repellent?
A good whisky, preferably a single malt... cos after a few I don't care if I'm being bitten.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-07-2015 at 02:09 PM.
06-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #40
Veteran Member

You're reminding me more than a little of this guy....

06-07-2015, 02:18 PM   #41
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
You're reminding me more than a little of this guy....
Unfortunately I don't have his engineering prowess, "It's ... ah ... it's green".
06-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
A good whisky, preferably a single malt... cos after a few I don't care if I'm being bitten.
As a regular camper I can tell you adding a bunch of mosquito bites to a bad hangover makes the morning even more miserable!
06-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Since most of my camping is canoe camping, and many portages are notably buggy, my preferred method is to wear very thin nylon outwear, and just sweat if it's too warm. I prefer nylon clothing to bug repellant, and since when canoeing you always start and end at a lake, on a hot day I just toss my load and walk right into he water for a dip, and to soak my clothes before heading back. In really bad buggy place I'll wear a bug net over my head, I just hate being covered in chemical slime.

The McKaskill Portage.. one of the buggiest most brutal portages on earth...A KM up, A KM of moguls, a KM down. My preferred mosquito repellent...ultra light weight nylon outerwear. This was 30ºC heat (90ºF) so we weren't wearing the clothes to keep us warm.

Sitting in the ranger caring on Big Crow Lake, in bug suits.

Tess carrying her load, with her bug suit on. Tripper take impromptu swims in any available water. Even swamps.

At one point Enid yelled out "I'm going skinny dipping." I looked over, and she still had her bug suit on.

Last edited by normhead; 06-08-2015 at 11:18 AM.
06-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #44
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
to a bad hangover
Single malts don't do that or alternatively I'm not just drinking enough of the stuff.
06-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Single malts don't do that or alternatively I'm not just drinking enough of the stuff.
Why do I find that hard to believe? You did say you were Scottish didn't you? The Scottish Expats I knew over here, the guys who were fresh off the boats, drank like fish.

But maybe they came to Canada because they thought it was more socially acceptable to get wasted here, wait the ones I met at the Gaelic Arts school in Timmins that came over for the school and went back when It was done, the piping , drumming, and dancing instructors, they all drank like fish too. So that can't be it.