Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PayPal new ToS - Permission to robocall and robo-text you... and you can never revoke

In PayPal's new terms of service effective July 1, you must give consent to let PayPal and its affiliates robocall and robo-text you... and you can never revoke it.
QuoteQuote:
When eBay cuts PayPal loose this summer, users of the new digital money giant will find they’ve agreed to new terms of service that take effect July 1. Those terms include PayPal giving itself the right to robocall or robo-text members at any phone number the firm can find, for just about any reason — from debt collecting to advertisements to opinion polling.
PayPal goes into the garbage bin...

06-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Reading the whole article, it sounds like nothing new. Glad to hear that the FCC has been tapped to weigh in, though, regarding consumer right to withdraw consent:

QuoteQuote:
The FCC will vote on a declaratory ruling June 18 that looks to affirm consumer-friendly provisions; FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler has proposed, for example, that consumers be able to withdraw consent to receive robocalls at any time
Let's hope....

In the meantime I really don't know what's better than PayPal for buying/selling online. As much as I'd love to be able to transact in other ways, there's just too much risk.

Last edited by lightbox; 06-02-2015 at 10:06 PM.
06-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
When PayPal consumer Robert Pascarella questioned PayPal about the terms of service on the company’s Facebook page recently, he requested an opt-out for the provision and was shot down.

“Regrettably, there isn’t an opt out option to certain items within our User Agreement,” PayPal responded. When he objected, PayPal posted directions for closing his account.
I think everybody should take that advice.
06-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I use paypal and have their credit card/option. They do not have any of my phone numbers!

06-06-2015, 08:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I like Paypal....and I don't mind junk calls, I get 6-10 every day. I have fun wasting their time and get to talk to someone at the same time. I get tired of talking to only squirrels.....and Mrs Rupert. Neither seem to want to talk to me all that much, but those junk callers will talk for hours if they think they can make a sale.

Regards!
06-06-2015, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

The problem is you really don't have a choice if you want to buy or sell on the net and lately it's all over the place in regular stores too. Many people won't make a deal without it. Not using it is why I probably never sold anything in the market. I'm not religious but some days I can't help but think of the mark of the beast thing and wonder if it's Pay Pal...:P
06-06-2015, 08:36 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will continue using PayPal. I ignore any "junk" calls on my home phone, and no one has my cell #. PayPal is such a convenience for me, that this would not cause me to drop it.

06-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Yes...Paypal is handy and relatively cheap to use. We need to face the reality of today's world.....anyone and everyone on earth can ( and probably does) have your personal information. We don't like it, but it is a fact of life. Your bank, your Credit Card companies, your Grocery Store and dozens more have your information, and they share it.
The Govt. has every call you make or receive, every E-mail, and can even tell that I am wearing my red underwear today....and if I wear them for a week...they will stop looking!

Regards!
06-15-2015, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Texts can be ignored. As for the calls if I have my daughter with me I give her the phone (4 but she thinks she is 7 lol). Most of the time I just put them on speaker while I do other things and talk. And talk. And talk.

If I'm really busy is still answer but say " EMC, state your emergency ".

Sir please state your emergency.

All caps state your emergency ( cutting them off ). Then kinda off mic but not " hey Jeff I need a trace on this call ".

Click.
06-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I like Paypal....and I don't mind junk calls, I get 6-10 every day. I have fun wasting their time and get to talk to someone at the same time. I get tired of talking to only squirrels.....and Mrs Rupert. Neither seem to want to talk to me all that much, but those junk callers will talk for hours if they think they can make a sale.

Regards!
Please PM me your phone number so I can refer all my telemarketing callers to you. Thanks!
06-15-2015, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

One of the best ways to answer unknown calls that I have heard is when you answer just say "The job is done, but there is blood everywhere.", and then just hang up.
06-16-2015, 05:53 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the caller ID. Since I'm a bit hard of hearing, I probably won't hear it anyway. That's what answering machines are for. I don't give my cellphone number because I don't have service at home. All this really annoys people for some reason, especially the cellphone. I can't hear my cellphone ring unless it's out of my pocket and in my hand so all of this will have little impact on me. If you want to talk, leave a message!
06-16-2015, 07:52 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the caller ID.
Same here, I simply turn off the ringer on a call that they let ring & ring! I don't even have my answering machine on, I think that just encourages them to keep calling. No one has my cell phone#, as I carry it when driving to town, in case of an emergency only.

They also put false ID info. One that keeps calling me says a "survey"; once I did answer, and it was a call about consolidating your credit cards! They pay no attention to the fact that you are on the national "Do Not Call" list! I deeply resent them invading my privacy with their telemarketing calls; about the same as if they come to your door & stick their foot in, so you can't close the door!
06-16-2015, 08:08 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I just got one of these for my shop. Money well spent.
06-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks great; but a little expensive for me. They change numbers faster than we change lenses on our cameras, so it's difficult to block the same callers.