Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Boston for 2 Weeks - Looking for Suggestions

Evening Everyone,

Well, it appears that I will be back in the Boston area for the last 2 weeks in June - out in the Foxborough area (and possibly the last 2 weeks in July too). I'll be in the lab all day 8-5, but at 5.01 - I plan to be out the door going somewhere every evening. I have a car back there, and have been back there previously. However, there is a lot of things I want to see and shoot in the evenings. I am bringing stuff too.
  • K5IIs + GPS
  • 8-16/f4.5-5.6
  • 18-35/f1.8
  • 60-250/f4 & 1.4xAW
  • Perhaps the 10-17 too - am really undecided on this.
  • Tripod & geared head - I might even consider bringing my heavier tripod rather than my travel one. Trying to decide on that one.
  • Shutter release, batteries, charger, etc.
  • Bringing my little netbook (10" screen, dual core underpowered but light weight) with at least the Pentax Image Utilities on it. This way I can off load the images and take a quick look to see how badly I messed up, and improve the next evening out.
What I am thinking of is the following. Additional or alternative suggestions would be VERY welcome. If there are better sites, locations or opportunities - PLEASE!!! Also, I really enjoy shooting in the evening and at night - but really don't want to be the terrorist with the camera.
  • I shot the USS Constitution back in 2012 with access to the ship yard at sunrise and sunset. I just read a couple of weeks ago that she is now in the adjacent drydock. She has had about 90% of her rigging removed for the next 3 years, until she comes out. I was thinking of going over there and shooting her there (only in drydock every 20 years or so). I know where a good parking lot is that I can get into. Also, its on the walking Freedom Trail, that I want to take.....
  • The Freedom trail - I have read that its 2.5 miles long, which is not problem walking for me. I do want to find some images similar to this and this and this particularly in the evening hours.
  • Boston Harbor - I would like to shoot some ships - loading/off-loading (but not get arrested) like this. Evening shots would be nice - anyone know of any good locations?
  • Lighthouses - I have never shot a lighthouse, and am starting to look (google) on which ones are where, and what might be good locations. I don't have a clue - but am and expert with satellite overheads, sun sets, moon rise times, etc.
  • The coast - I plan on driving east to the coast each evening for a quick dinner (small salad, cup of clam chowder and crab cakes) where ever. I want to see water, coastline, beaches, inlets, marshes, docks, boats, anything associated with the ocean (can you tell that I live in a desert?) - and especially that would be interesting for a good image.
  • Mystic Seaport - I am really considering bailing out on Friday afternoon, driving down to Mystic and staying at least 1 night (perhaps 2). I want to shoot the ships at sunrise, sunset, and from across the river (I have some ideas from google earth). Is there enough there for two days? Probably, I am thinking....
It is probably way too ambitious, but I would like to be able to select from a longer set of ideas to adapt to the weather and anything else. Any other suggestions? Seeing green trees, green grass, green plants (without needles) would be nice. What am I missing?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by interested_observer; 06-04-2015 at 08:51 PM.
06-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you want to be a bit different go to see the Saugus Iron Works. The oldest manufacturing site in North America. The National Park Service has rebuilt it and there are a lot of photo ops there. Blast furnace, triphammer, water wheel etc. Just a neat little place when I was there some years ago.

Lexington and Concord are worth a stop if you have the time. Old Salem is nearby. Plenty to see and photograph.