Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2008, 09:21 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Public spaces photography

Great thread!

I took some photos in a MARTA station (MARTA is Atlanta Ga's subway/bus system) because of the lighting, shapes, etc of the station itself. Hoping to return with a tripod - the K10's shake reduction did help - I checked their website and found that they demand that a request be made 30 days in advance, blah, blah.

As a librarian in a tax-funded public library system I am concerned with the use of our library's meeting rooms. While I am not a lawyer, after poring over various decisions it becomes evident that the library itself is a public space, or a public forum. While we can restrict people from free speech activities which might disturb others we cannot restrict postings of flyers, etc, from certain groups unless we forbid ALL such postings.

It seems that we can similarly restrict political candidates handing out literature only if we restrict ALL candidates.

They may hand out stuff just outside the building, however. This is analogous to shooting a pic of the Cheesecake Factory from the sidewalk, but not inside. Even still, since the restaurant depends on the entry of the public could it be considered to be a public space? Wowzer!

Thus it would seem to me that a MARTA station, constructed with a LOT of public funds, depending on the public's use of its service and facility, is a public forum just as is the sidewalk outside the station. I've sent them an email expressing much this feeling. It will be interesting to see how they respond.

In the meantime I guess I'll skulk around, lurking in the shadows....

06-13-2008, 12:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

a private property owner can employ a 'private police force'. These are the security guards that everyone bitches about.

MALLS are private property and invariably have security which invariably say that you cant shoot. And you have to either abide by it or get harrassed. Its just like that.

I envision someone coming into my photography studio and shooting around.....
I would be like what are you here for? Do you want to talk? are you getting married?(for those who dont know im a wedding photographer)
I would probably not like if I saw someone with a 300 2.8 shooting pics of my 3 and 4yr old nephews from across the pool...true, it is within their legal bounds, but I would be squirmish.
Why do you want shots of someone elses kids? If the answer is because you have an ongoing project photographing the livelyhood of American youth....awesome, gimme a biz card, i wanna check it out. If the answer is that you just think that my kids are so adorable and you want to look at them on your computer or hang them on your wall...thats weird.

Imagine simply having a plain conversation with someone. You will know that some things are rude to say (the topic is 'etiquette, right?) and somethings that can say no prob.
While everything is LEGAL to say, not everything is proper to say.

Decide what you feel is proper in your environment and shoot that.
Or....just shoot whatever you want with no regard for how people feel.

Its just up to you and thats that.
06-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

p.s. regarding a piece of private property becoming public space just because lots of strangers go in there:

it is still private property. the public has no control over it. the public goes to the cheesecake factory as a guest, and is served a great meal with great service. you are a guest there and a customer, not anything more.

if i were the owner of the business which were upon land and inside of a building that i owned, i would be furious should someone decide to argue with me about their rights inside of my private space.
06-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Have a look at this link:

http://www.kantor.com/useful/Legal-Rights-of-Photographers.pdf

It turns out that a Mall is a public forum, even though its private property. Interesting, isn't it? The whole concept of a public forum is really complex, as I found out when doing the research I mentioned in my prior post. Essentially, if you're allowed to be there, you can probably take a picture.

06-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

difference between public property and public forum is, forum can have rules dictated, IE, no photography.
06-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote

VI. The following can almost always be photographed from public places, despite popular opinion:

* accident & fire scenes, criminal activities
* bridges & other infrastructure, transportation facilities (i.e. airports)
* industrial facilities, Superfund sites
* public utilities, residential & commercial buildings
* children, celebrities, law enforcement officers
* UFOs, the Loch Ness Monster, Chuck Norris

I'd be very careful about taking pictures at major Airports. They're usually Federal property and tho they have 'security guards' the laws enforced there are Federal ones not State ones. Even some roads surrounding Major airports are Federally owned so I wouldn't even try the 'public property' line on a Fed and think I've got right on my side. You may not!

And personally, I wouldn't take photos of any kids cept my own (if I had any) or relos/friends kids, without seeking permission first. That could bring about a whole world of trouble!

From experience, I've found that most police not only accept photographers at emergency scenes (so long as you stay outta their way) some of them will even ask you for copies of images if there's some sort of investigation necessary. Basically, if you treat people with respect they will more than likely treat you the same.
06-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
I'd be very careful about taking pictures at major Airports. They're usually Federal property and tho they have 'security guards' the laws enforced there are Federal ones not State ones...........
Very few problems at airports around the world.....
Not sure if you have seen this site.....JetPhotos.Net - The Friendly Way to Fly!

06-15-2008, 04:36 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Nice site. But from what I saw, most of the shots look like they were taken from another plane in flight or on the tarmac. And shots of a cockpit can not be taken by any ole joe with a fancy camera without permission, nor millitary aircraft either. I wouldn't stand on Qantas Drive taking shots of Sydney K-S Airport. AFP or CAA security would intercede if they saw ya there.

If you're standing in your backyard when a 747-400 flies over, more power to ya. I'm suggesting folks standing on Federal land taking shots of major airports should check first.
06-15-2008, 04:50 AM   #24

Well you did not look at the site in detail......over 1 million photos on that site world wide.......
What you looked at was the front page.
If you had taken a bit of time and used the drop down search menu .....you would have found 16,651 photos taken at Sydney K-S Airport JetPhotos.Net Aviation Photos:
Oh and I took 50 or so at Perth airport yesterday......right on the fenceline.
Perhaps now you have learnt something it will open new photo opportunities for you...plenty of people to show you the best spots at Sydney K-S Airport.

Perth Airport...today.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by Greg Wilson; 06-15-2008 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Added photos
06-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I shoot everywhere unless there's posted signs saying, "No photography allowed" even then i have my camera phone and my P&S for those fleeting moments.

I do respect authority and subject matter but the shooter inside of me when an opportunity presents itself, i usually will take the shot. Now if security jumps from behind a planter and demands my camera after pointing out the signs, i will normally plead "temporary blindness" and if they pursue the matter as a "national security" i will kindly show them the jpeg and delete in front of them [RAW is still there don't tell them that ]

Seriously guys most people will use common sense when to take the shot and if confronted courtesy is used as the OP did and just wanted to find confirmation on her rights and our personal experiences with such issues. As far as i'm concerned, everything is to be photographed whatever morals obligations you think you have not to or to photograph the intended subject is a matter of variables; common sense and basic rights are what you start off with.
06-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

A lot of info to digest but with common thought its get aroundable

When in public shot on private porpoerty will common sense prevails

cheers
06-16-2008, 04:34 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Greg Wilson Quote
Well you did not look at the site in detail......over 1 million photos on that site world wide.......
If you had taken a bit of time and used the drop down search menu .....you would have found 16,651 photos taken at Sydney K-S Airport JetPhotos.Net Aviation Photos:
Perhaps now you have learnt something it will open new photo opportunities for you...plenty of people to show you the best spots at Sydney K-S Airport.

Perth Airport...today.
In the mid-70's and mid-80's, I lived in Heidelberg, Germany and my district office was in Frankfurt. I usually made a trip to the district office (about 110 miles r/t) a couple of times a week. The autobahn runs right next to the airport and there would always be a large group of people standing at the end of the runway taking photos. The planes would come right over the autobahn and then touch down -- probably about 100-200 yards after crossing the autobahn. There was a high security fence there, but you could always see people with binoculars and/or cameras. I often wondered what it would be like to take those photos. I had the opportunity to revist Germany (for work) in November 2006, and there were still people there, although not as many as there used to be.
06-16-2008, 05:32 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
In the mid-70's and mid-80's, I lived in Heidelberg, Germany and my district office was in Frankfurt. I usually made a trip to the district office (about 110 miles r/t) a couple of times a week. The autobahn runs right next to the airport and there would always be a large group of people standing at the end of the runway taking photos. The planes would come right over the autobahn and then touch down -- probably about 100-200 yards after crossing the autobahn. There was a high security fence there, but you could always see people with binoculars and/or cameras. I often wondered what it would be like to take those photos. I had the opportunity to revist Germany (for work) in November 2006, and there were still people there, although not as many as there used to be.
Tom,
Yeh..Frankfurt is the 3rd most popular Airport in the world for photography just behind Amsterdam and Heathrow. St. Maarten-Princess Juliana Int'l - in the Netherlands Antilles is very popular......a 1m high mesh fence separates the beach from the end of the runway.......so you can photograph aircraft or topless sheilas.
06-16-2008, 06:07 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Greg Wilson Quote

Perth Airport...today.
Again... I didn't say it wasn't allowed. I said folks should be careful! Congratulations on your photos. When I want to take shots of aircraft I'll make arrangements with the folks I used to work with and get up close and personal (like the front page of your little site, sorry I don't have time to surf sundry web pages). I worked at SK-SA for 7-8 years, recon I already know the 'best spots', you wouldn't even see from the fence line
06-16-2008, 09:16 AM   #30
BPT
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
* children, celebrities, law enforcement officers
I kind of question the children one. If I saw someone taking pictures of my kid and there was something about the person/situation I didnt like and I asked them to stop and they said they have a right to take pictures of my kid I think there would be a problem. For me it is you can take pictures of kids with permission of parents