Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2008, 10:31 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What about half dressed girls on the beach?

06-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Perfectly legal. Though if they are under 18 you better be sure they have tops (at least in the US)
06-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
difference between public property and public forum is, forum can have rules dictated, IE, no photography.
Rules, yes. Laws no. Unless you signed a contract no private rules are legally binding. They can kick you out of course.
06-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A couple things seem to be pretty muddled in this thread so just to clarify.

1. You do not need special permission to shoot kids in public; they are like anyone else. However politeness and awareness of today's paranoid environment should be applied to the situation.

2. Most public places are in fact private because they are owned by someone. This includes shopping malls of course, but also parks and even commons in the UK. If the owners or their representatives (e.g. rent-a-cops) ask you to stop shooting, then you must or be liable for trespass charges. No, they do not need to post signs. They might even allow some people to photograph some times and others not.
No-one ever said any of this was fair. Ownership is pervasive and insidious.

3. No-one can seize your camera or force you to delete images. Excepting the police can do the former if you are charged with an offense. If they did the latter they'd be destroying evidence. The best thing you can do if private security threatens to call the cops is let them. And if they have threatened you or laid a hand on you, you can charge them.

I am not a lawyer, etc.

06-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
as long as there's no gorillas next to them, hell yeah
06-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
A couple things seem to be pretty muddled in this thread so just to clarify.

1. You do not need special permission to shoot kids in public; they are like anyone else. However politeness and awareness of today's paranoid environment should be applied to the situation.

2. Most public places are in fact private because they are owned by someone. This includes shopping malls of course, but also parks and even commons in the UK. If the owners or their representatives (e.g. rent-a-cops) ask you to stop shooting, then you must or be liable for trespass charges. No, they do not need to post signs. They might even allow some people to photograph some times and others not.
No-one ever said any of this was fair. Ownership is pervasive and insidious.

3. No-one can seize your camera or force you to delete images. Excepting the police can do the former if you are charged with an offense. If they did the latter they'd be destroying evidence. The best thing you can do if private security threatens to call the cops is let them. And if they have threatened you or laid a hand on you, you can charge them.

I am not a lawyer, etc.
I think you need, and we all need to consider that the laws are different everywhere.

I suspect your basis is the british isles, and while canadian law is based upon british law, public is interpreted as open access to the public, and signs must be posted if photography is not allowed.

also re kids, that may be the law, but if you are caught near a school, you better be prepared for being considered as some form of criminal. Like it or not, you will be investigated.
06-18-2008, 04:04 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think you need, and we all need to consider that the laws are different everywhere.
Of course, but the basic principles are in force in a surprising number of places. Ireland, for example, is very similar to the UK. Canada is very similar to the USA. Quebec is a bit of a special case. Individuals may have more control over their image in Quebec, even for non-commercial purposes.

I suspect your basis is the british isles, and while canadian law is based upon british law, public is interpreted as open access to the public, and signs must be posted if photography is not allowed.
Sorry Lowell, this is not true. Where are you getting this info from?

Even if there are no posted signs, a rent-a-cop can approach you and ask you a) to not take photos or b) to leave the property. There is nothing you can do but obey unless you wish to be charged with trespassing. They can even allow some people to photograph and not others, simply because they don't like the colour of your skin. Even though they are not police and barely trained.

And to think we don't live in a police state.

also re kids, that may be the law, but if you are caught near a school, you better be prepared for being considered as some form of criminal.
I did say that "awareness of today's paranoid environment should be applied to the situation." However I emphasise that the Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees your right to take photographs of anything you want, unless other laws over-ride it in specific cases. Taking photos of children on school property is an issue since it is private property. But on the public sidewalks there is no law to forbid it.

Also according to the Charter, everyone has a "reasonable expectation of privacy". So you cannot go snooping around people's houses or using long telephotos to get shots through their bedroom window... even if you did so from public property.

Also, I wouldn't take photos of any military installation or property unless it was specifically on exhibition to the public.

Like it or not, you will be investigated.
Personally I am not big into street photography. But if I was criminally investigated for doing something non-criminal, with no evidence to support their case, I would sue for defamation. We do not have to submit to the tyranny of the state.