Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 05:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Why do people provide lens photos with caps on the lens?

Especially when they're the only pictures in their listing...great, I'm happy that the cap fits the lens, but I'm honestly a *wee bit* more interested in the glass under the cap. Never understood this one...

06-09-2015, 05:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Or they leave a filthy filter on the lens. You wonder if the filter is dirty or is the lens loaded with fungus. Another goodie is when they show a picture of a prime 50mm lens and the description reads what is on the filter ring, "49mm Hoya Lens" and they call it a ZOOM lens. You have to laugh...ha ha.
06-09-2015, 05:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Or they leave a filthy filter on the lens. You wonder if the filter is dirty or is the lens loaded with fungus. Another goodie is when they show a picture of a prime 50mm lens and the description reads what is on the filter ring, "49mm Hoya Lens" and they call it a ZOOM lens. You have to laugh...ha ha.
Yep! And of course, these seem to always be 'No Returns' listings as well.
06-09-2015, 06:06 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fat Albert, I must say I really like how your current ad; gives all the information, especially to non-smokers that your equipment comes from a smoke-free home! This is extremely important to many, as it's almost impossible to get the odor of smoke out of lens, cameras, etc. I almost always forget to ask, when I'm interested in something!

06-09-2015, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Fat Albert, I must say I really like how your current ad; gives all the information, especially to non-smokers that your equipment comes from a smoke-free home! This is extremely important to many, as it's almost impossible to get the odor of smoke out of lens, cameras, etc. I almost always forget to ask, when I'm interested in something!
Thanks! I am fanatical about full disclosure when I sell equipment. As I've said before, using the A 50 f/2.8 macro sometimes makes things appear worse than they are, given that it'll resolve every speck of dust. I've been on the receiving end of transactions where there were undisclosed issues with equipment, and it's a HORRIBLE feeling. I'd rather underestimate an item's condition and have my buyer be pleasantly surprised, rather than the other way around.

Moreover, people have come to trust our Marketplace as a place where sellers hold themselves to a higher standard than other sites. I want to uphold that standard!
06-09-2015, 06:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Oh yes, a smoker's camera and lens. I once won an auction, opened the package, the funk rushed out...cigarette smoke. Packed it up and sent it back.

I had another beauty, won an auction for a lens. It came with a nice Christian Card thanking me. The lens was loaded with fungus. I asked to return it. The answer was NO. The seller said he had it checked by a professional and it was a fine lens. After a lot of discussion back and forth he finally agreed to take it back. Guess what, it was up for sale again. That is the kind of person that gives Christians a bad name.
06-09-2015, 06:43 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Moreover, people have come to trust our Marketplace as a place where sellers hold themselves to a higher standard than other sites. I want to uphold that standard!
I feel this way also! All my equipment has come from our Marketplace, and everything was better than described!

06-09-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
It came with a nice Christian Card thanking me. The lens was loaded with fungus.
What a thoughtful scammer! How could you possibly complain after receiving that? Have you no heart?
06-09-2015, 08:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
What a thoughtful scammer! How could you possibly complain after receiving that? Have you no heart?
I guess you are right. I probably should have kept the lens and not complained.