Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

To good to be true: purchasing lens from other countries?

Currently the U.S. dollar is equal to 1.3 Austraian dollars. It seems like everything sold there is 24% off (plus shipping costs) for U.S. residents. I have a credit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fess. Having never purchased from another country online, this seems too easy, am I missing something?

06-09-2015, 07:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
am I missing something?
Import taxes? I don't know how it works in Australia, but when I've sent things to relatives in Greece they have to pay a rather stiff customs fee on their end.
06-09-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No you're not missing anything....it sucks from this end (Australia that is)
06-10-2015, 05:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm in France so things are different, but when i buy from japan usualy, you have abouve 150€ value, the VAT to pay.
It depends on the country : if your country do have import /export agreement with the other country (australia in that case), you may not have some import taxes, but you'll probably have the VAT to pay.

Keep in mind that depending the item you buy, the taxe % may vary.

The easiest way to know it is to go to the custom office, they will explain everything you need to know.

06-10-2015, 06:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't deal in Aussie goods or services. Although I love the people there and the country, the Customs Agents are a nightmare. Last year I sent a friend in the Outback a box of squirrels as a gift from Otis to populate the Outback with handsome squirrels....and the Custom Agents fried and ate every one.

Regards!
06-10-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dont know about your local taxes and customs duties which may add cost to the transaction, but i have bought many lenses without hassle from the USA, especially when our dollar was stronger then the greenback. I cant think of any reason why it would not be the same the other way around.

As for squirrels, we have salt water crocs at every port of entry on rodent watch. Those that make it past the crocs (*crocs are brutal, but not very clever) are quickly cleaned up by various snakes, spiders, bunyips and yowies. It keeps the place clear of unpleasant critters we dont want

Heres an example You call that a deadly spider? Australia's funnel web can kill in 15 minutes | Australia news | The Guardian
06-10-2015, 10:20 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I dont know about your local taxes and customs duties which may add cost to the transaction, but i have bought many lenses without hassle from the USA, especially when our dollar was stronger then the greenback. I cant think of any reason why it would not be the same the other way around.

As for squirrels, we have salt water crocs at every port of entry on rodent watch. Those that make it past the crocs (*crocs are brutal, but not very clever) are quickly cleaned up by various snakes, spiders, bunyips and yowies. It keeps the place clear of unpleasant critters we dont want

Heres an example You call that a deadly spider? Australia's funnel web can kill in 15 minutes | Australia news | The Guardian
yeah makes you wonder why anyone would want to visit .
i am in australia i have been buying a bunch of stuff of ebay for the last year of so i think on ebay it displays if your paying taxes or not.some countries charge taxes some do not . when in australia there is an import duty payable once you buy something worth over $1000 Australian from another country but under that amount no duties are payable yet. however the government is having a think about that so i am trying to get the gear i want before they decide to start sticking their hand out and yes it sucks the aussie dollar has dropped against the us dollar. i have no idea how it works if i sent something from this end sorry about that. since i don't sell coal or iron ore or wheat i can't see how i am better off for it. while i'm ranting on surely the us postal service must be able to bale out the us economy by now with the prices they charge for postage. sadly i won't buy from the us any more and really i like the us however the pricing of postal items is ridiculous. sadly its cheaper to get from china or europe and japan however britians getting up there as well rant over and have a nice day
ps, sent more salt with the next load of squirrels the last ones were almost delicious