Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
About ready to dump the internet. Rant.

I contribute to this and other sites of interest on the internet. But I don't always need to log in to scan a section quick. But these latest generation of pop up ads are driving me crazy. Being videos, they make it longer to load the page. Then the page keeps jumping back to it when the ad changes. Are these deliberately designed to tick us off? I have pop ups blocked and it doesn't matter. I know the advertising revenue is needed, but I cannot believe that this will bring more members to the site or even sway viewers to buy whatever they are trying to sell. I am tired of my browser locking up and loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong page load times.

I have already given up on the major news and sports sites I find reading the newspaper a lot less aggravating. I dumped pay for TV as I got sick of paying to have commercials delivered into my house. If I am paying for a show, I expect to watch it for free. I am old enough to remember when cable TV came around. The hook was that all the programs would be advertising free. Netflix is a joy. It seems that the whole world is turning into a giant version of NASCAR.

Yeah, I'm an old fart.

06-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I save my login to this site on the browser so I don't have to login each time.
I wasn't even aware there were pop up ads here as I never see any.
Are you on a public computer where you are not able to save your login here?
06-10-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Install an adblocker. They interfere with the operation of some sites, but not too many. (In which case I turn it off for that site.) I never ever see ads on this site (or most others). It is possible that you have acquired malware that is just giving you ads all the time that aren't actually coming from the sites you visit. So I'd do a malware scan as well...
06-10-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I'm an old fart.
Yea me too....

-----------------------------------

"When the Internet first came into public use, it was hailed as a liberation from conformity, a floating world ruled by passion,
creativity, innovation and freedom of information. When it was hijacked first by advertising and then by commerce,
it seemed like it had been fully co-opted and brought into line with human greed and ambition."
Neil Strauss

-----------------------------------

BTW it does sound suspiciously like malware.

06-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It is possible that you have acquired malware that is just giving you ads all the time that aren't actually coming from the sites you visit. So I'd do a malware scan as well..
That's a very good possibility; as I've never had adds on this site.
06-10-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I save my login to this site on the browser so I don't have to login each time.
I wasn't even aware there were pop up ads here as I never see any.
Same here.
06-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

when I am not log-in, there are adds, but when I am logged-in there are no adds.

06-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, no ads if I am logged in. Just when I am a visitor. News sites are even worse. Flashing ads. Videos running. And the pop up that expand and contract moving the page up and down just to tick you off even more.

Heck, even during the Belmont stakes last weekend, Burger King paid $200,000 to have their mascot stand next to Bob Baffert, the trainer of American Pharaoh, for a few minutes. I have no idea why Burger King would want to show up at a horse race. Makes you wonder exactly what is in your BK hamburgers. At least the Baffert's donated the money to charity..
06-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #9

Yeah, no ads if I am logged in. Just when I am a visitor. News sites are even worse. Flashing ads. Videos running. And the pop up that expand and contract moving the page up and down just to tick you off even more.

Heck, even during the Belmont stakes last weekend, Burger King paid $200,000 to have their mascot stand next to Bob Baffert, the trainer of American Pharaoh, for a few minutes. I have no idea why Burger King would want to show up at a horse race. Makes you wonder exactly what is in your BK hamburgers. At least the Baffert's donated the money to charity..
my illustrious government spent about $40 billion on a national broadband network except it stops about 100 kilometers down the road. so its not quite as national as one would think. i may as well be on dial up . 2 thoughts come to mind it may be malware. you could try going to an antivirus site or malware site if you can't access the site or dl the software then its a safe bet your infected. had that happen once ,had to reformat the hard disk and reinstall everything to fix it. the other thought is turn off shockwave flash. with the plugin disabled you get a lot less adds. you still get a few adds however they not usually animated i do notice a nice improvement in pages loading with flash disabled. you can change it setting in your browser plugins folder. i have it set to ask to activate. so most of the time it doesn't run only when i go to youtube when i'm bored. it means an extra mouse click or two but i can live with that . thats my 2 cents worth hope it helps
06-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Chardie has the answer I am using, Flash shut off. I find Flash freezes me browsers (I use Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and reluctantly, Internet Explorer when I absolutely have to.) This is augmented by Panda Anti virus software with the settings tweaked to the way I want them.
06-10-2015, 10:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chardie Quote
my illustrious government spent about $40 billion on a national broadband network except it stops about 100 kilometers down the road. so its not quite as national as one would think. i may as well be on dial up . 2 thoughts come to mind it may be malware. you could try going to an antivirus site or malware site if you can't access the site or dl the software then its a safe bet your infected. had that happen once ,had to reformat the hard disk and reinstall everything to fix it. the other thought is turn off shockwave flash. with the plugin disabled you get a lot less adds. you still get a few adds however they not usually animated i do notice a nice improvement in pages loading with flash disabled. you can change it setting in your browser plugins folder. i have it set to ask to activate. so most of the time it doesn't run only when i go to youtube when i'm bored. it means an extra mouse click or two but i can live with that . thats my 2 cents worth hope it helps
My previous PC was infected by a malware so insidious that when any attempt was made to remove the virus/malware the malware would actually shut the PC down when it detected the attempt at removal.
06-11-2015, 06:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Chrome browser recently announced they will be blocking flash ads. But do a malware scan (malwarebytes, hitman.pro is also good)...
06-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I run Norton 360, AdAware and Malwarebytes. My computer is pretty clean.
06-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There have been rumors about what happens to the horses at Finger Lakes for years...
06-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Just check the "keep me logged in" option and you won't have to log in again in what will seem like a year, at least it does to me...

And avoid all those other sites with lousy pop-ups. Stay here where it's (mostly) safe