Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2008, 06:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

err, everyone who's complimenting the photo of the car.. that's what the canonite was producing. not the OP

06-12-2008, 06:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

what's wrong with shooting into the sun?! Why isn't this photography? The guy is taking pictures. Whether he is using $10,000 or $1000 worth of equipment, he's still taking pictures. Whether he's getting one good shot or 5 good shots....granted his angle is a bit dizzying, and he's just leaving a lens lying on the ground...I just don't understand why this questioning of photography.

Also, your shots are much much better. If I were you, I would just revel in the fact that you produced shots way better than that guy, using a lot less expensive equipment.
06-12-2008, 06:59 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm pretty sure that drift shot wasn't taken with a pentax!

Check the Exif. Canon 1DmkIII 400mm f5.6
06-12-2008, 07:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The OP's photos of the drifting competitions are always very good, clearly. That said, this kind of photography is not always appropriate for true racing events. Sure an occasional 45degree shots looks nifty, but a well composed more traditional shot may have better sales potential to a wider audience. I am simply indicating that a more traditional approach will have better sales application than something a bit more edgy. In real racing, it is important that one publicizes his or her sponsors as much as possible to continue that relationship, if all of your photos are angled and funky, it may serve to distract from the car or obscure these ads on the car.

Just the opinion of someone who has dabbled in SCCA racing and shooting racing events.

06-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #20
Not Registered

Why should we care about what the guy was doing? bad photographer, less competence? In the remote case he takes good photos and get the job done good for him. If he sell more than you, then you should reconsider your position and imitate him
06-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #21
Veteran Member

He's a photographer alright.

Which I can't say about so many people on this board.
So many of us have passed the photographer stage, and can now consider ourselves as artists
06-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tyler Quote
I'm pretty sure that drift shot wasn't taken with a pentax!

Check the Exif. Canon 1DmkIII 400mm f5.6
Tyler, check out the link at the very bottom of the OP

06-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

He gots the dough, he gots the skills.
06-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Sure it's photography; taken in the very broadest sense of the word, that is. He is using a camera to record images of life. Believe it or not the world needs more photographers like him. However, he is at the very far end of the measuring stick when it comes to quality, though. His bad photographic skills make the rest of us look pretty damn good! Someday he may discover that it takes a combination of knowledge and talent to make good photographs. Having expensive equipment alone just doesn't make the grade. Ah well - I hope he at least had fun while he was there.
06-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure, its photography of sorts. He is using a camera and getting shots, that he must want and be satisfied with.
Personally I think photography should be about ones own imagination showing through a photo, with originality and uniqueness.
A few shots where he is fine, but I would move on for variation and obviously a lot better quality.
To each his own, and this would not be me, to be sure.
06-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #26
Forum Member

Ok i do karting picture so i can relate to this.
Before i came on those tracks that was pretty much everything there was over here with karting photography. Karts going fast, weird angles and masked drivers. When i came in with my "lame" Pentax equipment ( that was a quarter of the price of most Canon guys that were there ) they start laughing.

They are not laughing to much now. I am not the best photographer in the world but i brought a new way of watching the sport. 40% of my shots were driving shots. Straight...no weird angles and the sun in my back to get the maximum of details. 60% were of the drivers....and that is where i did a big difference.
So i took 70% of the buiseness there

So standing there for hours shooting 2000 pics will get you a few good shots, But this is not photography as the "sport" it should be. Its just a guy taking pictures...cold and souless pictures.
06-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography? Yes, an image is being captured.

Photographer? No. It is just a wet machine triggering a dry one.
06-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote

what's wrong with shooting into the sun?! Why isn't this photography? The guy is taking pictures. Whether he is using $10,000 or $1000 worth of equipment, he's still taking pictures. Whether he's getting one good shot or 5 good shots....granted his angle is a bit dizzying, and he's just leaving a lens lying on the ground...I just don't understand why this questioning of photography.

Also, your shots are much much better. If I were you, I would just revel in the fact that you produced shots way better than that guy, using a lot less expensive equipment.
I'm with you man.

The guy is shooting. He has his method. He produced his shots. He hasnt impressed anyone with how he does it, but it is entirely possible that he doesnt care who likes how he shoots.

....now with that said. I need to go and check out the OP's stuff. I hear its really good.
06-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #29
Veteran Member

expanding on this a bit... and a slight tangent

Adam,

Forgive me - no intent to hijack this thread, but there is another important point brought up in the OP...

I've seen too many people do the following: "I have professional equipment, therefore I am a professional photographer... " and sometimes that goes to "therefore I am entitled... "

What the heck? Demonstrate your ability, not your camera gear... I really don't concern myself with a person's equipment choice(s) - bottom line is the image(s) produced. To me, nothing else is as important, unless the gear limits you. If the tools do the job, that's all that matters.That being said, I still get some raised eyebrows from others when I show up for a shoot or when teaching a class, since over 95% of those camera owners use Canon or Nikon.

Adam clearly shows his eye and capabilities in his work (excellent work!), and it's probably much, much less repetitious than this fellow....

Regards,
Marc
06-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No hijack at all Marc, that is one of the points that really got me also.

Thankyou for your comments on my work, I appreciate it.