Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Yes with 2 boys and 2 cars, I spent quite a bit of that hard earned on car seats. Thay have a use by date too, so they end up as land fill.

It all ends when they start to worry about their peers seeing them in a "baby seat"
You can either recycle car seats or turn in expired car seats to babies r us to buy something new. Most places may want you to break them apart, metal and plastic separated and styrofoam and fabric, and then recycle the components

06-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
You can either recycle car seats
Good info,
For the ones with a bit more life in them, I put them out on the street on trash night. they all went.
It is a pity they can't be somehow inspected and re-certified for a period. They are expensive.
06-22-2015, 03:27 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
$240. I consider it a single use item. But I put them ( the previous rear facing one ) on the street as well.

I had a recall crib ( side slides) I permanently fixed it. However I recycled it with a chain saw.

I just can't have the liability of it.

I'm not a wasteful person but that is how it is.
06-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Child seats protect children from adults.
Ya know what? If you're so worried about child safety just don't put them in a car until they're 12. Don't carry them on stairs either.

I'm closely acquainted with a man who fell down his stairs carrying his 5-month-old and broke her femur. Social Services was really a PITA for at least a year.

06-24-2015, 03:47 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ya know what? If you're so worried about child safety just don't put them in a car until they're 12. Don't carry them on stairs either.

I'm closely acquainted with a man who fell down his stairs carrying his 5-month-old and broke her femur. Social Services was really a PITA for at least a year.
I don't see the connection between an accident on stairs and a child being thrown through a windscreen because an adult didn't put him/her in a child seat.
06-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Since seatbelts are in use the number of fatalaties in traffic have significantly gone down. In countries where people don't use seatbelts the fatality rate is still high.

I think it is safe to say that seatbelts help a lot more than they hurt, though there may be the occasional freak accident where not wearing a seatbelt would have been better.

How many people were killed by the faulty Takata airbags? 8? How many were saved by airbags? But airbags can only work with seatbelts.

Wearing a seatbelt is especially important for rear passengers. They don't just risk their lives like the front passengers, in the event of a crash they are also likely to kill the front passengers. Even if you only drive 20 mph.

All the safety tech, as well as most traffic rules help a lot to make the roads safer. With one exception. Speed limits. They don't help. In Germany people drive way faster than in the US, yet it is safer in Germany. People just pay more attention ay higher speeds, they drive better and in a more orderly fashion than in the US, and the reason is IMHO that the high speeds require that. Driving education is much better too.

---------- Post added 28-06-15 at 19:46 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If we're really trying to reduce personal injuries and deaths, the most common cause of injury and death, according to decades of emergency room visits, is falling down stairs in the home.

"Most common home accidents happened when walking up or down the stairs. Broken hands and legs are the usualy resulting injuries to an estimate of 2,324,938 people."

By contrast
"In the United States during 2011, more than 650 children ages 12 years and younger died as occupants in motor vehicle crashes, and more than 148,000 were injured."

Now I know I showed stair-use injuries for all people versus auto-use injuries only for children, but you see my point. Stairs are maore dangerous than cars!!!

Consequently we should mandate all new dwelling units be single-storey, and before title to a pre-existing dwelling unit changes hands said older dwelling unit must be retrofitted with some form of stair-use safety device.

And license all stair users. We license drivers, so why not license really dangerous activities like using stairs?

After all, it's for the children.

And it will hold down the cost of health care.
Stairs are just a bit more dangerous, and making them safer is nearly impossible. For cars it is really easy to make them significantly safer, and the benefits are huge.

In other areas what you say would make a lot of sense, war on terror for example. Only very few people die from terrorist attacks (especially in western countries), yet the cost to try to protect people from them is extremely high... both in terms of money and civil rights/liberties/things your founding fathers fought for.
06-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #52
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

My apologies to condor for prolonging the derailment of this thread... But I see that about 3 percent of car passengers in Norway drive without wearing seat belts, and that about 43 percent of people killed in car accidents don't weear them.

I would guess that quite a large proportion of those driving without wearing seat belts also drive under influence, but the reality is still there. And the stupidity.
06-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
My apologies to condor for prolonging the derailment of this thread... But I see that about 3 percent of car passengers in Norway drive without wearing seat belts, and that about 43 percent of people killed in car accidents don't weear them.

I would guess that quite a large proportion of those driving without wearing seat belts also drive under influence, but the reality is still there. And the stupidity.
In Malaysia most people don't wear seatbelts, and that is reflected in the news where people are constantly thrown out of their cars in an accident and as a result die. Recently there was a cop that crashed into a big drum roll of steel that has fallen off a lorry on the highway... he died. His passenger, presumably wearing a seatbelt, didn't. It was a modern and safe car, and it was still in good shape... there's no way he must have died. It was entirely his own fault. Or there was a family in a modern and safe car that got rammed by another car, the car (a SUV) rolled and the whole family left the vehicle. Again, entirely unnecessary, they could easily still be alive if they had worn their seatbelts and used a child seat for their children.

On the other hand in Germany news of people flying out of their cars in an accident are very rare, I can't remember any in recent times. There was even a car that hit a natural ramp, and then flew, Knight Rider style, into a church and landed in the roof of the church about 7 meters above the ground. The driver survived.