Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
It won't happen. Commercial sellers will always want the kind of 'footfall' (clickfall?) that a site the size of eBay gives. Private sellers can choose to sell locally cash-on-collection, on ebay, facebook, local sales, or wherever, and remove the risk of comebacks...but you can't beat the sort of prices you can get on ebay, especially for rare and sought-after items, partly because people know they aren't risking buying tat from a shady seller, and partly because you have an entire planet of potential buyers in front of you, instead of whoever turned up to your yard sale.

The best you can do as a private seller is either protect yourself by using tracked insured delivery and documenting the item well, or take the hit of the occasional 'lost' item. On the whole though, most people are still honest, and I personally have found at least 99/100 sales have gone smoothly, so it boils down to an extra 1% in costs for me in the end...

That is what I was going to do if I had sold anything on ebay. I was also going to go one step further by requiring a signed signature upon receipt. That way, I will know when an item has arrived and who received the item.

I know it won't happen but a person can always wish.

10-12-2016, 04:48 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The problem then is that people complain about the increased shipping costs. I send everything calculated actual postage by weight, which I explain in my listings, and I still get complaints about the "shipping being too high."

If I was shipping something I would send it flat rate priority mail and I would pay for the return receipt myself. The return receipt cost $4.20.
11-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just purchased an expensive, Zeiss front lens cap on ebay from Adorama.

Their photo in the ebay ad showed a Zeiss front cap with a beautiful blue and white Zeiss logo. Well, I've already got the original Zeiss 82mm front cap for my Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 lens, but I thought that new one with the Blue and White logo would be a huge improvement over the original cap, so I bought it.

It arrived yesterday. To my great surprise the lens cap was not the new one with the color logo that was shown in the ebay ad, rather it was the cheap all black Zeiss front cap that I already had.

Contacted Adorama and they said the photo was just a replica and not the actual front cap that they were selling. Thanks much Adorama for the false advertizing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, bought a new lens from Adorama a few weeks ago. I sent it back immediately upon receipt because of a mistake they made. Didn't even open the package. Still, they charged me $18 in shipping for their mistake. From now on I'm going to only buy from B&H and Roberts Camera in Indianapolis Indiana.

Adorama is not the company that it used to be...
11-27-2016, 10:16 PM   #49
Forum Member

Glad I came out ok on my only ebay lens purchase. Tokina Atx-pro 80-200 2.8. Description listed two blemishes on the body. When it arrived it looked brand new and took me a few minutes to find what they were calling blemishes. I would not have even mentioned them they where so small and insignificant. (one on the mount and one on the hood). Glass was perfect. I was skeptical about ordering off ebay but seller had good rep and it was the cheapest 2.8 I had come across. seller cameyoro_jp out of Japan, I would purchase again from him and not think twice.

11-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 1wild1 Quote
I was skeptical about ordering off ebay but seller had good rep and it was the cheapest 2.8 I had come across. seller cameyoro_jp out of Japan, I would purchase again from him and not think twice.
I've bought several lenses on Ebay and had very good experiences. Two of my pre-owned Limiteds came from different sellers in Japan, both were listed as excellent but when they arrived I would have listed them as mint, you literally could not tell they had been used. I would have no hesitation in buying from a Japanese Ebayer again.
11-28-2016, 06:37 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm, odd. I've sold most of my m43 gear on ebay when I was switching to Pentax. Most of transactions were fairly smooth, except one where a buyer wanted his money back because usps delayed the package for few days, even though I sent it next morning after receiving payment. He immediately opened a case request for refund, told me I can deal with usps about returning my item myself and he just wanted his money back right then and there. I refused, because shipment was still within agreed delivery dates (he wanted it by a certain date), and asked him to wait few days. He refused, opened the case, eBay immediately withheld the money in their system. I called ebay and spoke to them, they told me as long as the buyer receives the item and I can provide delivery confirmation they will release the money back, it seemed they were on my side on that one, not sure if it's because I've applied for a basic business account with PayPal before I started selling off my gear, or maybe their policies changed in general. Anyway, item was delivered and my payment was released. Buyer of course didn't contact me with an apology (after being very rude and aggressive previously), but at least gear was sold and I was able to buy my K-1)