Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2016, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Provided the lens was in good shape, that's every Pentax lens hunter's dream come true right there.
I have seen lots of Pentax F/2 or 1:2 lenses mistakenly listed as f/1.2 lenses in the past.

10-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I have seen lots of Pentax F/2 or 1:2 lenses mistakenly listed as f/1.2 lenses in the past.
So have I, and the responses of the sellers when I inform them of it suggest to me a pattern of at best disingenuousness and at worst deliberate deception, especially when an M lens is involved...

The picture is gone now, but IIRC I looked at the time and it was the real deal, because I was kicking myself for missing it.
10-04-2016, 06:59 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
So have I, and the responses of the sellers when I inform them of it suggest to me a pattern of at best disingenuousness and at worst deliberate deception, especially when an M lens is involved...

The picture is gone now, but IIRC I looked at the time and it was the real deal, because I was kicking myself for missing it.
It happens, and we can't all comb eBay 24/7 looking for good deals. That would leave no time for taking pictures!

I am just happy for those times when camera karma pays off.
10-04-2016, 10:25 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Luckily I was able to appeal what happened in my "AS-IS" case once the lens arrived and Ebay overturned the initial decision. They said that it was pretty obvious the buyer had remorse for buying the lens and did not read the description. So I guess I'll be getting the money back. I think its just sad that they didn't come to this conclusion when I called them and they had the nerve to say "untested sold AS-IS" wasn't descriptive enough. So I guess its good thing I stuck too it and did let them push me around.

10-05-2016, 05:49 AM   #35
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
Luckily I was able to appeal what happened in my "AS-IS" case once the lens arrived and Ebay overturned the initial decision. They said that it was pretty obvious the buyer had remorse for buying the lens and did not read the description. So I guess I'll be getting the money back. I think its just sad that they didn't come to this conclusion when I called them and they had the nerve to say "untested sold AS-IS" wasn't descriptive enough. So I guess its good thing I stuck too it and did let them push me around.
There is so much injustice in this world that it is not difficult to understand people being driven to violence sometimes. Although your case may not be the most serious in a global scope, it is nevertheless very frustrating to you as an individual. It is at least a bit gratifying to learn that you've managed to arrive at a reasonable conclusion.
10-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How strange...I just looked at my ebay account - 10 years a member and well over 300 transactions, about 70/30 buy/sell, and I've never once had a serious problem.
A couple of items didn't arrive and either got resent or refunded. Once I sold an item and it (apparently) never arrived, but it wasn't worth much and I know the risks of untracked shipping, so meh, I refunded.
However, I am very careful about who I buy from and in that 10 years have learned the signs of a bad seller. You can't do much about bad buyers, but better <1% bad apples than no apples at all.
10-11-2016, 07:19 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
How strange...I just looked at my ebay account - 10 years a member and well over 300 transactions, about 70/30 buy/sell, and I've never once had a serious problem.
A couple of items didn't arrive and either got resent or refunded. Once I sold an item and it (apparently) never arrived, but it wasn't worth much and I know the risks of untracked shipping, so meh, I refunded.
However, I am very careful about who I buy from and in that 10 years have learned the signs of a bad seller. You can't do much about bad buyers, but better <1% bad apples than no apples at all.
I quite agree that the actual problems I've had are very few. Everything I've ever bought that ended up going wrong, was taken care of in some fashion.

10-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Ditto! I'd been looking for one and I found at least two obviously mislabelled items which from the images were clearly NOT f1.2

Having said that, I've had quite a number of excellent experiences with buying. I simply don't sell on eBay - too easy to go wrong there.
10-11-2016, 07:32 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
Just sold a Sigma 400mm f5.6 ......[Its unfortunate because I have a lot of computer gear I need to sell on there and now my reputation is ruined. I guess I'll just do craigslist. This is just terrible service on ebay's part and shows the bias towards buyers.......

There is a facebook group called "ebay for business " , with knowledgeable posters and which ebay sometimes monitors. You may get positive response if you go there and post your problem. No guarantee, but if you are in the right under ebay policy, you may get the result you want. Worth a shot.
10-11-2016, 07:34 AM   #40
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Well, I've got another one. I sold an ME Super on ebay 47 days ago. The buyer sent me a message yesterday demanding a refund because he was having a problem with an oily shutter, claiming he hadn't used it until now.

I let him know that the eBay money back guarantee was for 30 days and looked at the shutter pics I took before I sent it out, when it was fine. I told him that even though I was under no obligation to accept the return, I'd repair the camera for him FOR FREE if he sent it back to me. His response? Oh, the shutter is not oily, it's broken. Which it clearly wasn't when sent out.

The dude is clearly lying, and I offered a VERY reasonable solution, but I got hit with bad feedback anyway. What a jack#$@.

Anyway, his ebay screen name is "clickshutter." I advise avoiding at all costs.
Wow! Sorry this happened to you; but thanks for the heads up on the screen name of this guy!
10-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Maybe a sticky thread could be started with the names of sellers/buyers that should be avoided. I know some sellers really don't know what they are selling when it comes to photography equipment but a lot do and the ones that do know but are trying to sell items and the listing is clearly fraud or the item sold is not what was listed should be called out.

Same goes for buyers that buy something and then claim they didn't receive/ item not as described/ item broken. Maybe, just maybe, ebay will, once they start hearing about list like this, will go back to regulating deadbeat buyers.

I have only been a buyer on ebay but I have tried to sell a couple of times with no success. I have only had one problem with a seller one time that I noted back a few pages. To be honest, I have a set of books that my dad has told me sell but I can not find where somebody else has sold this same set of books anywhere for any price. Because of that, I am not sure if I should try to sell them on ebay.
10-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Maybe, just maybe, ebay will, once they start hearing about list like this, will go back to regulating deadbeat buyers.
More likely to sue for damages. They are extremely keen to make all buyers feel welcome and in the past sellers have used bad feedback as a threat to prevent legitimate complaints, which made a lot of people feel that it was a shady place where you took a big risk buying anything and if you kicked up a fuss you would essentially be blacklisted without any recourse or burden of proof. Now they have definitely gone too far the other way, meaning that private sellers (the original point of ebay) feel they are taking a big risk trying to sell anything and only large-scale commercial selling is worthwhile.

There is probably a happy medium to find, but without escrow type of middle-manning, I can't see an easy way to achieve it. There is no middle ground - buyers want to buy with no risk and sellers want to sell with no risk and ebay are unwilling or unable to assume the risk themselves (they even farm out the credit card fraud risk to the sellers), so who do they side with? The people spending the cash.
10-12-2016, 05:41 AM   #43
Pentaxian

They might be keen to make all the buyers feel welcome but they won't have much of a business if most of the sellers say "I've had enough. I'm done with you."
10-12-2016, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They might be keen to make all the buyers feel welcome but they won't have much of a business if most of the sellers say "I've had enough. I'm done with you."
I wish that would happen. Unfortunately I imagine a sort of tragedy of the commons, where the most unscrupulous and desperate big sellers will always fill the void, and the machine grinds on.
10-12-2016, 07:20 AM   #45
Veteran Member

It won't happen. Commercial sellers will always want the kind of 'footfall' (clickfall?) that a site the size of eBay gives. Private sellers can choose to sell locally cash-on-collection, on ebay, facebook, local sales, or wherever, and remove the risk of comebacks...but you can't beat the sort of prices you can get on ebay, especially for rare and sought-after items, partly because people know they aren't risking buying tat from a shady seller, and partly because you have an entire planet of potential buyers in front of you, instead of whoever turned up to your yard sale.

The best you can do as a private seller is either protect yourself by using tracked insured delivery and documenting the item well, or take the hit of the occasional 'lost' item. On the whole though, most people are still honest, and I personally have found at least 99/100 sales have gone smoothly, so it boils down to an extra 1% in costs for me in the end...