Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #1516

I've got quite a fleet - 4 cars, a motorhome and 5 motorbikes but here's the one I've been using for the last few days:

01-04-2019, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #1517
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Huh, not nearly so confusing as I'd thought. For some reason, and I see these all the time and my boss even owned one, I thought the Charger was just the four-door Challenger (or vice versa). Maybe because they both have Hellcat versions?

So it occurred to me that maybe I could keep things straight by remembering the the General Lee was a '69 Dodger Charger. Nope. That was a coupe, but the new one is a sedan.
I think a very nice vehicle to get...somehow......would be a police package Charger with the AWD and Hemi V8 as options. Very good handling, very quick, very fast, very good braking.

But alas...police package vehicles are generally only available to police departments...new that is and I don't think I would want to buy a used police package vehicle. Also police package vehicles usually come with rear seats and floors that can be hosed out...sometimes a requirement when picking up those citizens who have imbibed too much.

Years ago I asked a police sergeant if buying an ex...used that is... police package vehicle was a good idea. He said that he wouldn't as police vehicles boldly go where no man has gone before.

With apologies to Captain Kirk and Star Trek and fellow Canuck William Shatner who I believe did the voice over, for that part of the original show.
01-04-2019, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #1518
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm disappointed Chrysler didn't also bring back those bright '70's colors
those cars were often sold in, i.e. purple, lime green and canary yellow...

Chris
01-04-2019, 03:24 PM   #1519
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
I find the modern lineups rather bland also. Black, white, silver, "champagne" also known as baby poo brown ...

Last edited by Racer X 69; 01-04-2019 at 05:46 PM.
01-04-2019, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #1520
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Piloting close to 2.5 tons of RAM REBEL, getting 15.4 MPG doing around 80 MPH or less, not bad.
Fort De Soto, north beach.
edit: she rides on air and handles great.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-04-2019 at 05:27 PM.
01-04-2019, 05:48 PM   #1521
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Piloting close to 2.5 tons of RAM REBEL, getting 15.4 MPG doing around 80 MPH or less, not bad.
Fort De Soto, north beach.
edit: she rides on air and handles great.
Who do the slippers belong to?
01-04-2019, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #1522
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Who do the slippers belong to?
A lady from Finland

01-04-2019, 06:30 PM   #1523
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Chris
Chris: My local Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/RAM dealar has three canary yellow Challengers on his lot that aren’t even decaled yet.
01-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #1524
Pentaxian

Chris
Chrysler had some interesting colour names for their high performance cars in the late '60's...early '70's. I remember hearing about one colour that they came up with but it didn't make the final cut for a name for a production colour... apparently...gang green.

I recall that Ford considered a number of names for their Edsel....and one that didn't make the cut...name wise...was the 'Utopian Turtletop'.

Can you imagine a car named the Utopian Turtletop, painted in gang green. Now that would be something. Nowadays, car companies just don't have imagination anymore.
01-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #1525
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Chrysler had some interesting colour names for their high performance cars in the late '60's...early '70's. I remember hearing about one colour that they came up with but it didn't make the final cut for a name for a production colour... apparently...gang green.

I recall that Ford considered a number of names for their Edsel....and one that didn't make the cut...name wise...was the 'Utopian Turtletop'.

Can you imagine a car named the Utopian Turtletop, painted in gang green. Now that would be something. Nowadays, car companies just don't have imagination anymore.
No fun on the car lot at all, anymore.
01-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #1526
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Chris
Me too.

I liked the Panther Pink Challenger.

They are trying, I think.

Furious Fuchsia.

01-04-2019, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #1527
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Lots of fun at the car lot.

Top speed
340 kph / 211 mph

0-100 kph
0-60 mph
3.5 seconds

Power & torque
811 bhp / 596 kW
915 Nm @ 4750 rpm

bhp / weight
461 bhp per tonne

Displacement
5 litre / 4951 cc

Weight
1760 kg / 3880 lbs

Price
Starting at USD$113,445

Sales Brochure
01-05-2019, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #1528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
There's a ton of fun to be had at the car lot, but you have to wonder about the trends. You can certainly get cars like the Mustang or the Challenger, even in wild colors and with horsepower numbers that seem designed to land a lot of folks in jail. But you'll pay dearly for it, and there's not a whole lot of choice with Ford and GM making almost exclusively trucks and SUVs that necessarily compromise on fun. At least the Japanese manufacturers still have some relatively cheap fun available, and VW makes the GTI. With US companies it's basically the rental car-spec Mustang.

One reason I like Tesla despite Elon's occasionally nuttiness - their cars always have a heavy dose of fun and whimsy. How can you be too critical of a car that has Ludicrous Speed, the ability to play Pole Position on the info screen with the real steering wheel (when parked, of course), and other hidden easter eggs involving Mars, Mario Kart, and James Bond? The silly Model X SUV/van thing even does a crazy light show
involving the illogical but awesome falcon doors for no reason other than it's cool.
01-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #1529
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I drive a 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero. It's actually my 2nd Saab.
It's tuned so running more power than stock (300 HP vs 250 HP, and 300 Torque vs 260 Torque).
I was involved in an accident a few years ago with my old Saab (2004 9-3 Linear) when I was rear ended by a Mercedes E-Class in stopped traffic on the highway.
Insurance wrote off the car, I was distraught. The car was amazingly reliable (I had bought it with 150,000 km and it was totaled at 282,000 km with no major issues at all).
So now that I had some more money, I went all out. Fully loaded Saab 9-5 Aero. Heated front and back seats, Vented front seats, Touch Screen stereo (Harmon Kardon) with Nav, On-Star, bi-Xenon auto leveling head lights, park assist etc etc.
I love the cars because they're unique, have character, great gas mileage and amazing mid range power. They're comfortable, safe and (from my experiences) reliable and easy to wrench on at home if need be. There's some things that are different from every other company so you have to study a bit to understand how it all works, but in the end, it's not a BMW, Audi or Mercedes, and the Saab way of things just works for me. Just like Pentax isn't Sonikanon. And the Pentax way just works for me too!

Last edited by Kobie; 01-09-2019 at 07:32 AM.
01-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #1530
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
...One reason I like Tesla despite Elon's occasionally nuttiness - their cars always have a heavy dose of fun and whimsy. How can you be too critical of a car that has Ludicrous Speed, the ability to play Pole Position on the info screen with the real steering wheel (when parked, of course), and other hidden easter eggs involving Mars, Mario Kart, and James Bond? The silly Model X SUV/van thing even does a crazy light show light show involving the illogical but awesome falcon doors for no reason other than it's cool.
It makes sense that Tesla does things a little differently because they have to stand out against established manufacturers just to get noticed. The weird thing is, the established manufacturers still haven't caught up. Two-three-four years ago, you could see John Chanos on CNBC every few months, and he'd talk about being short Tesla stock. He'd often mention that they were about to get crushed by someone who could easily pop out 100K electric cars without having to figure out the whole deal from scratch. That seemed like a good point at the time, but instead, the other guys remain content to let Tesla establish itself.