Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2019, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #1591
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
I also believe that the automatic transmission makes drivers prone to more accidents (fender benders specifically)... especially in city driving, all TLC drivers keep changing lanes in a split second from stand still to GO... for some reason I believe that if all used manual transmission this would not happen.
I agree. Manual transmissions require more focus on the operation of the vehicle, and awareness of the ever changing situation ahead, behind and to the sides. This keeps drivers more alert and aware, and able to better respond when the going gets dodgy.

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
I enjoy my daily MT commute, even though sometimes it takes me 1hr 15mins to drive 12 miles
I do have to concede that an automatic transmission might be better for stop and go commute traffic. In stop and go traffic the repeated engagement and disengagement of the clutch causes excessive heat buildup form the repeated slipping of starting up in rapid succession.

An automatic just slushes along . . . . . .

01-23-2019, 09:49 PM - 2 Likes   #1592
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Life's too short to daily drive a monster truck with Bentley aspirations. I'd find the $20k, or even better just buy used. The other day I read that the BMW 5-series is now a depreciation monster with all the SUV irrational exuberance. You can get a two-year old 5-series that probably stickered over $70k in the $30s. Similar for an Audi A7. That same thing has to be hitting the wagon market, too.

Like this one. Jag XF Sportbrake, red with black wheels, probably stickered around $80k a year or so ago. With 10k on the odometer you can have it for under $60k. If a deer ran out in front of the S4 tonight, that would be high on the list for replacement.

Are there 2018-19 cars that don't have kick butt air conditioning? My Dad's 1976 Chevy Cheyenne half-ton pickup had roll-up windows, an AM-only radio, vinyl bench seat (quantity: 1), and it had pretty good A/C.

---------- Post added 01-10-19 at 07:53 AM ----------

You could either pay BestBuy $30 to deliver the TV to your living room (or Amazon $0) and pick anything you want to drive, including things that might be fun and/or interesting. Or... daily drive a completely generic 4600 lb, three-row SUV and wrestle the TV home yourself.

Or for option #3, get your father-in-law to give you his 2003 Dodge Dakota for free, and haul your stuff in that while daily driving something fun. I've done #1 and #3.
For $19 you can rent a plain vanilla pickup from Lowes and pick up the TV on a weekend - so you don’t need to miss a day of work to be at home when it is delivered.

And drive a reasonable vehicle the other 364 days a year.
01-23-2019, 09:54 PM   #1593
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That's because I clicked through to the photo, right clicked and copied the url, came here and used img tags to hotlink it here.

I've done this before when a hotlinked image doesn't link correctly here. Not really sure what it is, but I think there may be something amiss with the link code the guy is using from his PBase account that isn't playing well with the forum software. I don't have any experience with PBase, so I can't say what options are available for hotlinking there.
PBase works for me. You need to overwrite the default HTTPS: in the link code or it will dupe and manually change the size to medium from their default in the dialog box.
01-23-2019, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #1594
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Will shortly be replacing my 10 year old VW Golf.The shortlist is a 2-3 year old:
BMW 1 series
Nissan Juke
Mini Countryman
Alfa Romeo Guilletta

(Amongst the requirements are 4 doors,0-60 mph around the 8 second mark,manual (stick)transmission,don’t mind petrol or diesel)

Anyone with experience or comments on any of the above would be much appreciated
The Mini-Bimmer is nicely fitted and finished but good luck on using the rear seats for people on a long drive. They’re fine for short city trips.

01-24-2019, 03:13 AM   #1595
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For $19 you can rent a plain vanilla pickup from Lowes and pick up the TV on a weekend - so you don’t need to miss a day of work to be at home when it is delivered.

And drive a reasonable vehicle the other 364 days a year.
What’s so bad about a Dakota?

01-26-2019, 04:58 PM   #1596
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I enjoy my ZF 8HP automatic when my 3.6 mile commute to work takes over 40 minutes...
01-26-2019, 07:10 PM   #1597
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Manual transmission drivers are less likely to be holding their phone in one hand, which has to be safer. Though I remember trying to hold French fries and using a column shift with the same hand.

Has anyone noticed that electric cars have regenerative braking modes, but not always any indication that they are using them? My wife reports being behind a Tesla Model 3 and it suddenly slowing down, but no brake lights. To increase range, all electric cars do some version of turning the motor into a generator, which slows the car down and recharges the battery. A neat trick but a good way to get rear-ended.

It is weird that I have a great Sentra clutch experience and Chris has a terrible one with essentially the same drivetrain. I do wonder about finding someone competent to replace a clutch. By the time I need the next one, all the experienced mechanics will be retired, and they'll be doing it out of a book.

01-26-2019, 09:37 PM   #1598
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Manual transmission drivers are less likely to be holding their phone in one hand, which has to be safer. Though I remember trying to hold French fries and using a column shift with the same hand.

Has anyone noticed that electric cars have regenerative braking modes, but not always any indication that they are using them? My wife reports being behind a Tesla Model 3 and it suddenly slowing down, but no brake lights. To increase range, all electric cars do some version of turning the motor into a generator, which slows the car down and recharges the battery. A neat trick but a good way to get rear-ended.
The ultimate overuse of arms while driving has to be a "5 and 4" with one arm on one shifter and the other on the other while still trying to see where you are going steering with the inside of your left elbow.

I have taken to 3 second following distance recently, up from 2. With the trailer in tow (+3,000 lb + 2 electric brakes) 4 or more.
01-26-2019, 10:45 PM   #1599
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The ultimate overuse of arms while driving has to be a "5 and 4" with one arm on one shifter and the other on the other while still trying to see where you are going steering with the inside of your left elbow.
A three stick.

01-26-2019, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #1600
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A three stick.
Good Lord! If you miss a shift, does it require a start-from-stop like the 5 and 4? Even it it doesn't that's as bad as playing the classical pipe organ.

I was forced by my Dad to be able to make a run with a cab over Highway Tractor with a 5 and 4 before I could take my driver's test on a 3 on the floor Chevrolet Panel Delivery, the same model year as me: 1940. He had a good friend with a wicked sense of humour, but I got it after a while. Enough for the test, anyway.
01-27-2019, 12:53 AM   #1601
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Edge2019SEL

I upgrade my car fromEdge 2015 to 2019
Very impress with new redesign
Excellent safety system with very good light very bright
Eco bust very good with new stop drive system
Finally add car play
I drive this car 8 hr trip show and rain no issue
Very easy comfort seat typical great Ford heat system
New Ford 360 system very interesting
Minus some issue with software for navigation
01-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #1602
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I know some electrics and hybrids with aggressive regenerative braking turn on the brake lights when you let up on the accelerator. I thought Teslas did this, but I'm not sure.

Quick search of interwebs found this on Teslas, apparently quoting the user manual "Page 49: "Note: If regenerative braking is aggressively slowing Model 3 (such as when your foot is completely off the accelerator pedal at highway speeds), the brake lights turn on"
01-30-2019, 10:37 PM   #1603
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Winter driving never scared me.

Who needs winter tires?

Especially when those wusses out in Colorado put salt down.

When you drive a high torque rear-wheel drive, the only way to get around in snow and ice is with snow tires and some weight in the trunk. Drive smart and I don't get stuck.

We use mag chloride spray and sand in most of the state, not rock salt, which is why rust isn't a big issue here like the Midwest/great lakes. Most of the cities are full of Texans, Californians, and Jersey boys now, so if we didn't do something the cities would stop every time it snows. It used to take 2 feet of snow affect schedules here, but ever since the coastal transplants took over people act like it is the apocalypse every time we get 2 inches
02-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #1604

mazda5. a north american 4wd version would be even better. it was too good to last.
with general altimax arctics it dominates in snow.
02-07-2019, 09:29 PM   #1605
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The best thing I did for my Accord for this winter’s driving is the new All-Season tires I installed last spring.