Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2019, 04:18 AM - 2 Likes   #1711
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 822
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Ahhhh MINI. When i was a very young boy we had an original Mini as a family car. Years later i owned three of the new MINIs. A Cooper; a Cooper S; and the one hiding in my picture is the last one I owned a John cooper Works Cooper S (with engine tuning and body-kit.). It was such a fun car to drive I absolutely loved it. But with two dogs it was no longer practical and unfortunately had to make way for the LR. I still miss it.......picture here......
My two boys made my Mini a bit impractical. I stuck with it until they were about 7-8, but that was the limit for four people in the car. I loved driving it, especially when it was older and I didn't care as much and I could do handbrake turns in the snow and take 90 degree intersections at 35 or 40mph.

I think yours was Hyper Blue, too. Mine had black bonnet stripes, but I eventually removed them when they got pitted. Your looks great with the body kit and wheels.

Attached Images
 
03-13-2019, 05:17 AM - 2 Likes   #1712
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,787
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I think yours was Hyper Blue, too. Mine had black bonnet stripes, but I eventually removed them when they got pitted. Your looks great with the body kit and wheels.
Yes that is right Hyper blue, I like the black roof you had. I Specced mine up with Super-Sports suspension too (basically they weld the axles to the body ) The thing handled like it was on rails, although a long journey made your back ache.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 

Last edited by pschlute; 03-13-2019 at 05:29 AM.
03-13-2019, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #1713
Pentaxian
cooltouch's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 871
Cool looking Mini, Peter. Looks exactly like my daughter's! She loves that thing. Won't let anyone else drive it, either.
03-14-2019, 12:06 AM   #1714
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,264
Chevrolet Trailblazer for us.

03-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #1715
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,787
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Cool looking Mini, Peter. Looks exactly like my daughter's! She loves that thing. Won't let anyone else drive it, either.
Quite right too
03-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #1716
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,335
I have a new complaint about my wife's Mercedes SLK. It's too small to be seen from a Peterbilt 389 tractor. He decided I wasn't there and hit the rear bumper. Probably should trade it in on an Aston-Martin, those look really nice.
03-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #1717
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,195
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Probably should trade it in on an Aston-Martin, those look really nice.
One with some of those fancy defense items like James Bond had on his.
Machine guns, rocket launchers.

See a big truck about to ruin your day, neutralize it.
03-17-2019, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #1718
dbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Clare Valley S A
Posts: 2,273
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
One with some of those fancy defense items like James Bond had on his.
Machine guns, rocket launchers.

See a big truck about to ruin your day, neutralize it.
It must be correct
It comes from a Monstro driver..

Dave

03-17-2019, 08:46 PM   #1719
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,195
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
It must be correct
It comes from a Monstro driver..

Dave
There were times when I wished Monstro had a 50 cal mounted on the front.

Good thing there wasn't though.
03-17-2019, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #1720
dbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Clare Valley S A
Posts: 2,273
So the Western World drivers are the same everywhere then.......pita and need a bullit up their...........


Dave
03-18-2019, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #1721
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,335
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
One with some of those fancy defense items like James Bond had on his.
Machine guns, rocket launchers.

See a big truck about to ruin your day, neutralize it.
I would have needed some distance for that. It was a tanker full of jet fuel (1863). But it would have been just like the movies, an impressive fireball.

He showed me a video taken with his phone, and the car was really hidden by the hood. We were about to turn left and cross some commuter rail tracks. While the light was red, a train appeared. The train triggers a red light for everybody and starts a new cycle for the light, putting our turn lane last to go. So there's like three-four boring minutes to wait. He must have seen me pulling up, but then forgot. There's not much visible damage - puncture from a 3/8" eyebolt and some other marks on the bumper cover. It looks like nothing, and certainly not "hit by a Peterbilt". But who knows what's crumpled under there, and there's parking sensors in the bumper cover.
03-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #1722
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,793
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I would have needed some distance for that. It was a tanker full of jet fuel (1863). But it would have been just like the movies, an impressive fireball.

He showed me a video taken with his phone, and the car was really hidden by the hood. We were about to turn left and cross some commuter rail tracks. While the light was red, a train appeared. The train triggers a red light for everybody and starts a new cycle for the light, putting our turn lane last to go. So there's like three-four boring minutes to wait. He must have seen me pulling up, but then forgot. There's not much visible damage - puncture from a 3/8" eyebolt and some other marks on the bumper cover. It looks like nothing, and certainly not "hit by a Peterbilt". But who knows what's crumpled under there, and there's parking sensors in the bumper cover.
I was talking PTSD with one of the local RCMP. He was off for six months after this incident. I would have been in the psych ward myself, but he was back on duty.

He was called out and assigned as lead investigator for a 6 year girl old killed by being run over by her father. He spent 8 (eight!) hours investigating and measuring and interviewing. At the end of it, the conclusion was that at 3'2" tall, there was absolutely no way he could have seen her over the hood of his 4 wheel drive pickup truck. She ran out in front to say goodbye to her Dad on his way to work.
03-18-2019, 03:50 PM   #1723
Pentaxian
timb64's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Out in the sticks,Suffolk,UK(or SE Asia,if I'm lucky!)
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,899
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I was talking PTSD with one of the local RCMP. He was off for six months after this incident. I would have been in the psych ward myself, but he was back on duty.

He was called out and assigned as lead investigator for a 6 year girl old killed by being run over by her father. He spent 8 (eight!) hours investigating and measuring and interviewing. At the end of it, the conclusion was that at 3'2" tall, there was absolutely no way he could have seen her over the hood of his 4 wheel drive pickup truck. She ran out in front to say goodbye to her Dad on his way to work.
What a sad story, regardless of the investigatorís findings how could the father ever recover from such a tragedy.
03-19-2019, 07:38 AM   #1724
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,793
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
What a sad story, regardless of the investigatorís findings how could the father ever recover from such a tragedy.
That's not something any father could ever get over completely.
03-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #1725
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,335
Picture of the damage, which is pretty minimal considering the mass of the Peterbilt:



Initial estimate from the MB-recommended certified collision specialist: $3400! The bumper cover is a $1700 part. Then it's got parking sensors in it, and those all have tiny brackets. The tiniest corner of the left taillight is broken off, and that's $436. The estimate only includes replacing those parts and the foam pad under them, plus paint. Should any of the crush zones be crushed, which would be actual skilled work, who knows what that will cost. I probably won't have to pay anything but it's still kind of outrageous.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
acceleration, auto, automobiles, boston, cabriolet, car, cars, celica, clutch, driver, ford, front, fun, information, light, mazda, mix, passenger, ride, roads, seats, space, suv, tires, tons, truck, trucks, ute, vans, vehicle
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You have 1100 to spend...what do you do? rzarector Pentax DSLR Discussion 51 03-16-2018 10:55 AM
How do you store your photos and what do you store? Conqueror General Photography 22 05-05-2015 09:55 PM
What are your most used lens and what do you use them for? What lens do you have that pearsaab Pentax K-5 44 06-04-2012 09:23 AM
What do you like to do with all those pictures? daacon Photographic Technique 26 03-30-2010 09:55 PM
Camera collection-what do you have + how do you show it? lesmore49 Photographic Technique 23 05-26-2009 10:43 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:16 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top