Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #1786
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
To make matters worse I hear us poor folks will be forced to buy the blended fuel year round now...

Chris
I recall a news article from Ontario where ulralight flyers found that the alcohol content of fuel claimed to be 10% or less was over 15%. Their craft would not fly properly because of it. I burn premium from one of the two stations that do not use alcohol in their premium. I get over 20 mpg Canadian in my 4WD Tundra 4.7 litre in city driving, over 24 on the highway. (16-20 US Gal). I do not have a lead foot, but it isn't feather light either. In my opinion alcohol in fuel does absolutely nothing environmentally, and ups the cost of everything because the fuel consumption is higher. I have tested on highway driving, over 600 Km (400 Mi) to my daughter's and back regular vs premium, and the increase in cost of premium is reduced by half with the lower consumption rate. My vehicle, with 309,000+ Km on it, goes 6-8,000 Km between oil changes with clean oil. The engine (knock on wood) has never needed work.

06-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #1787
Veteran Member

Around these parts, all the fuel grades have ethanol all the time. Such a wonderful use of a food resource. I really don't like the mileage hit my vehicles have experienced, and I can just visualize all the rubber stuff in the fuel systems turning to goo. About the only thing positive I can say about these ethanol-laced fuels is they seem to raise the octane higher than the rating.
06-02-2019, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #1788
Pentaxian

With my small engines..lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc...I use premium fuel as it doesn't have any ethanol...out here. The other gas grades do. I recall a small engine mechanic telling me to use premium gas and avoid ethanol to prevent damage to fuel delivery hoses, etc. I have done so and the small engines run very well.

My Lawnmower is 31 years old, next month and aside from replacing a cracked fuel tank and starter rope...and of course new spark plugs this tough, torquey 2 stroke still mows as well as it did when new.

I can't get Lawn Boy 2 stroke oil anymore, but use Stihl Premium synthetic 2 stroke oil, do yearly maintenance of replacing the spark plug, cleaning and re-oiling the foam air cleaner...and this thing starts 2nd or 3rd pull. One pull to prime the engine...and then usually just one more and the Outboard Marine Corp (OMC) two cycle....cackles away ....ready and able.

It was made in Illinois and at the time , OMC made Evinrude, Johnson and Lawn Boy products and they made them well.
06-03-2019, 04:57 AM   #1789
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
With my small engines..lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc...I use premium fuel as it doesn't have any ethanol...out here. The other gas grades do. I recall a small engine mechanic telling me to use premium gas and avoid ethanol to prevent damage to fuel delivery hoses, etc. I have done so and the small engines run very well.
I also use only premium in my snow blower and my lawn mower (both 4 stroke). I was complaining to a friend about hard starting, and he said to use premium and I did, and I now tell everyone else.

I go one step further and use only premium non-ethanol fuel in my 2002 Tundra. It costs a bit more, but tests have proven to my satisfaction that half the additional cost is returned in fuel mileage. I pay about 25 cents more per gallon Cdn: about 16 cents US per US gallon. My 4.7 V8 Tundra 4WD gets 20 mpg Can (16 mpg US) in short runs to the store and back (about 5 Km/3 mi each way). Highway mileage towing our 17 ft 5th wheel is 17.5 l/100 Km or about 13.4 mpg US.

06-04-2019, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #1790
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I switched to premium fuel in my Outback to help prevent fuel system problems and itt looks I may have picked up a mile or two per gallon as well.
06-06-2019, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #1791

I have Volvo 245 (1977) and I like it. It is not a car, it's tank Big long eternal car.
Thick metall, biiig hood, cast iron cilynder block, carbureter Stromberg, no electronic digital components inside a car, analog only.
I can repair this car with hummer, 2-3 wrenches and some strong words
If I put down rare seats, I have a bed for 2-3 people (1,2mx2,02m).

I like this car. Inside it I feel me in safety
06-06-2019, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #1792
Veteran Member

I've always liked the Volvo 245s (wagons for those of you who aren't familiar with Volvo nomenclature, or "estates" for you in the old country -- the last number indicates the number of doors. So you'll see 242s, 244s, and 245s). I especially like the turbocharged ones. Back when I owned a 5-speed manual 745 turbo, I had a friend who had a 5-speed manual 245 turbo. That was one cool car.

06-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #1793
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I've always liked the Volvo 245s (wagons for those of you who aren't familiar with Volvo nomenclature, or "estates" for you in the old country -- the last number indicates the number of doors. So you'll see 242s, 244s, and 245s). I especially like the turbocharged ones. Back when I owned a 5-speed manual 745 turbo, I had a friend who had a 5-speed manual 245 turbo. That was one cool car.
I suppose they never made the wagon in a 243 configuration then?

A two door wagon would be awesome.
06-06-2019, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #1794
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RobG's Mazda CX5 has what look like steel wheels. US versions all come with alloys. I read that half of Mazda's production is the CX5.

When I took a photo of the Miata's gearshift knob, I looked at the damaged finish on the e-brake handle. The finish is maybe acrylic resin - whatever it is, something that's not repairable or I can duplicate. I also can't seem to get the wood part off without risking destruction. But it is a good application for marine varnish, which I happen to be using. It won't be quite as smooth as the resin but close enough.

06-06-2019, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #1795
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Volvo. Boxy. But Good.

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
My wife drove a 1988 240DL Wagon (US base trim designation) with a rear-facing third row seat when our children were in car seats (and for years thereafter). In the USA that was the bog standard Volvo wagon and baby hauler of choice in our child-rearing years. About one third of 240’s were station wagons. At pick-up time from school they were lined up nose to tail with only color to distinguish one from another. She had a personalized plate - BOXY - in honor of the famous “Volvo Ad” from the movie Crazy People.

Our daughter drove that car in High School and college. My son finally killed it at year 19. He ran into the back of a newer Volvo wagon (that suffered no damage) and cracked the radiator, then drove it home with no fluids. Total doofus.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-06-2019 at 09:50 PM.
06-06-2019, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #1796
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Well I switched to premium fuel in my Outback to help prevent fuel system problems and itt looks I may have picked up a mile or two per gallon as well.
We had an Outback 3.0 6-cyl. that required 93 Octane Premium. Our Mini Hardtop (3 cyl. Turbo) requires 93 Octane Premium. I”ve used it in my 6-cyl.Accords since corn fuel to avoid the Ethanol.

The EPA will now permit E15 year round. Shortly it is possible Missouri and Montana will be just like everyone. The 10% Ethanol blend goes away. The winter E10 summer blend requirement goes away. Eventually most filling stations and refiners will convert to E15.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-06-2019 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Politics
06-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #1797
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We had an Outback 3.0 6-cyl. that required 93 Octane Premium. Our Mini Hardtop (3 cyl. Turbo) requires 93 Octane Premium. I”ve used it in my 6-cyl.Accords since corn fuel to avoid the Ethanol.

Shortly Missouri and Montana will be just like everyone else. The 10% Ethanol blend goes away. The winter blend goes away.
What will happen to those of us whose vehicles specify not more than 10%, or don't take ethanol at all?

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 06-06-2019 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Political content of quote
06-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #1798
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
What will happen to those of us whose vehicles specify not more than 10%, or don't take ethanol at all?
That’s a really good question that many people are asking. I bet there will be a run on Fuel Conditioners. You can’t fight the government and you can’t beat the Corn Lobby. To be clear, the EPA has eliminated the RIN Rule, which prohibits the sale of E15 between June 1st and September 15th. The Rule reduces air pollution caused by faster evaporation during the hot summer months. Sale of E15 is now permitted year round, not required.

There are actually fewer than 1500 filling stations that sell E15. The majority of filling stations (more than 30,000) sell E10 year round because they don’t want to change their pumps twice a year. With the summer blend rule eliminated, presumably many will switch to E15 year round.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-06-2019 at 08:31 PM.
06-06-2019, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #1799
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

It would have been totally awesome, but sadly the 2xx, 7xx, and 9xx series all had 5-door wagons. Even the FWD 850 and FWD/AWD V70 series were all 5-door. There was one exception of sorts -- the P1800 hatchback. Another really cool car.
06-07-2019, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #1800

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
As I know, exists 1 or two examples of Volvo 243 (Volvo 244 with 1 rear door), but it is custom-made car, not stock.
Also exists Volvo 245-hearse (type in Google "klop show volvo 245") - with 2 door