Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #2101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My new addition

Well, everything I loved about my car came to a halt when it decided its had enough and threw a fit while I was leaving work and left me stranded there.
Electrical issues is where I draw the line, the car won't crank, no power to dash etc.

Soooo, I had to get a new (to me) car. Picked up a 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 with the Technology Package.
So far, I love it. It's modern, has radar cruise control, front and rear parking sensors, backup camera, nav, 17 Speaker Lexicon Surround sound system with in dash DVD player that actually plays movies in Theater Surround sound, iPod control, auto cornering headlights and a motorized sun screen for the back window. It's a remarkable amount of car for the low cost of entry. ANd ranked as most reliable car in it's class. Plus, it's pretty good on gas!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
CLT-L04  Photo 
09-11-2020, 07:18 AM - 5 Likes   #2102
Pentaxian

Here are a few pictures of my 1984 Pontiac Trans Am. I have owned this since 1990 and have converted it from 4 speed automatic to 5 speed manual and fitted a 383 stroker engine plus loads of other modifications. you don't see that many on UK roads.

09-11-2020, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #2103
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
Here are a few pictures of my 1984 Pontiac Trans Am. I have owned this since 1990 and have converted it from 4 speed automatic to 5 speed manual and fitted a 383 stroker engine plus loads of other modifications. you don't see that many on UK roads.
Wow gorgeus specimen!

Now, how many years before you can import to UK from outside? In the US I think is either 20 or 25 years.
09-11-2020, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #2104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Wow gorgeus specimen!

Now, how many years before you can import to UK from outside? In the US I think is either 20 or 25 years.
I'm not sure, but I don't think that there are any restrictions.

09-11-2020, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #2105
Pentaxian

I'm not sure, but I don't think that there are any restrictions.
It's more a matter of how much time, effort and money you are prepared to expend, and how much adaption and certification is required to meet UK road vehicle legislation if you do want to drive on the public roads.
09-11-2020, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #2106
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Well, everything I loved about my car came to a halt when it decided its had enough and threw a fit while I was leaving work and left me stranded there.
Electrical issues is where I draw the line, the car won't crank, no power to the dash.
It probably only needed a new battery.
09-11-2020, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #2107
Pentaxian

Always have liked the Trans Am. A 383 stroker is quite the engine....very torque rich . I bet the acceleration is something to behold. What other mods have you done....handling, brakes, etc. ?

09-11-2020, 01:27 PM - 2 Likes   #2108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Always have liked the Trans Am. A 383 stroker is quite the engine....very torque rich . I bet the acceleration is something to behold. What other mods have you done....handling, brakes, etc. ?
Bilstein suspension ,new cross drilled discs, callipers, braided brake pipes, Dana 44 rear axle with a trak-lok diff, poly engine/gearbox mounts/ rollbar bushes and end links. Re calibrated 160mph speedo, Hurst quick shifter. 275/45/ZR17 tyres. quick steering rack.
09-11-2020, 01:42 PM   #2109
Pentaxian

Bilstein suspension ,new cross drilled discs, callipers, braided brake pipes, Dana 44 rear axle with a trak-lok diff, poly engine/gearbox mounts/ rollbar bushes and end links. Re calibrated 160mph speedo, Hurst quick shifter. 275/45/ZR17 tyres. quick steering rack.
Nice equipment. You have made a 'balanced'...speed performance, handling, braking with those changes. I'm sure it is a pleasure every time you take it out on the road.

My son has a Nissan Frontier Pro4X 4WD and as it happens, has the Dana 44 axle (rear), Billstein shocks....set up, model...different than your Pontiac, but the Dana 44 is a highly regarded, tough axle that has many applications.

Years ago ('69) I had a '67 Camaro Coupe RS with a 327 V8, Muncie 4 speed. I liked it, except for the mono leaf rear suspension, drum brakes (stock back then), 10 bolt rear axle and regular GM shifter.

A buddy bought a new '70 Nova SS 350, with front disc brakes, multi leaf rear suspension, GM 12 bolt rear axle, 4 speed Muncie (but installed a Hurst shifter), etc. Huge difference with the front disc brakes and the shifting accuracy, short travel with the Hurst shifter installed...made a significant difference in driving.

Do you have any Ducati's ?

I may have mentioned it before, but I have a '67 Matchless 750 G15 CS Scrambler...Norton Atlas (twin carb) engine in a Matchless frame...and a '78 Yamaha SR 500.
09-11-2020, 03:33 PM - 3 Likes   #2110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice equipment. You have made a 'balanced'...speed performance, handling, braking with those changes. I'm sure it is a pleasure every time you take it out on the road.

My son has a Nissan Frontier Pro4X 4WD and as it happens, has the Dana 44 axle (rear), Billstein shocks....set up, model...different than your Pontiac, but the Dana 44 is a highly regarded, tough axle that has many applications.

Years ago ('69) I had a '67 Camaro Coupe RS with a 327 V8, Muncie 4 speed. I liked it, except for the mono leaf rear suspension, drum brakes (stock back then), 10 bolt rear axle and regular GM shifter.

A buddy bought a new '70 Nova SS 350, with front disc brakes, multi leaf rear suspension, GM 12 bolt rear axle, 4 speed Muncie (but installed a Hurst shifter), etc. Huge difference with the front disc brakes and the shifting accuracy, short travel with the Hurst shifter installed...made a significant difference in driving.

Do you have any Ducati's ?

I may have mentioned it before, but I have a '67 Matchless 750 G15 CS Scrambler...Norton Atlas (twin carb) engine in a Matchless frame...and a '78 Yamaha SR 500.
Here are my bikes.

09-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #2111
Pentaxian

Here are my bikes.

An impressive array of Ducatis.

I've never had one, although a friend had a 250 Monza and a MHR Ducati. He traded his Honda CBX in on the Mike Hailwood Replica. He had an interesting selection of motorcycles in that period. An SR 500 like mine, then a Kawasaki 750 triple 2 stroke, then the CBX and somewhere in that group ...position I forget...an 850 Norton.

He isn't riding motorcycles anymore, now has a Mustang Shelby GT500 .
09-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #2112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
It probably only needed a new battery.
Nope, battery is not the issue. I even replaced it with a new one, same issues.
09-15-2020, 04:55 PM   #2113
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Nope, battery is not the issue. I even replaced it with a new one, same issues.
Bad grounds.

You live in the rust belt, don't you? Winter ice melting agents on the roads are hell on grounds.
09-15-2020, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #2114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Bad grounds.

You live in the rust belt, don't you? Winter ice melting agents on the roads are hell on grounds.
Could be bad grounds (I've checked and cleaned the ones I could find/access), bad TWICE (SAAB speak for Theft Warning Integrated Central Electronics), I don't think it's the DICE (SAAB Speak for Dashboard Integrated Central Electronics, bad ECU, bad wire behind the dash somewhere. The issue is multiple things that have nothing to do with each other regarding how the communication bus works on the car.
On one hand, I have no power to the dash instruments, Auto Climate Control or SID (SAAB Information Display which runs warning chimes, steering wheel buttons, turn signals etc) but the steering wheel controls work, the Stereo System works which is on the same bus as the ACC and SID. But the SID and Dash instruments act like there's no ignition power trigger to turn them on, so the Stereo and Steering wheel buttons shouldn't work either, nor should the Fasten belt light and warning chime even though those work as well. And none of those systems run on the same bus that's responsible for starting and running the car.
And yes, I've swapped relays, checked for power at fuses etc. Even had the car plugged into the actual SAAB diagnostic computer and the only errors were MIU (Main instrument unit): missing, ACC: missing, Head unit: Missing, CD Changer: Missing.
The car will crank, but only if I bypass the immobilizer. It won't turn over, just cranks.
09-15-2020, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #2115
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's my wife's (near) new ride. It goes well. I can't figure out if it has the 200hp or the 250hp engine. I'm guessing it must be the 200hp. VIN decoding has been no help at all!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo