Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2021, 07:11 PM   #2296
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by danac Quote
Deb and I are retired and have been sheltering in place since March so we don't drive much. When I do it's in my 2018 Fiat 124 Spider.

What I like: Everything
What I dislike: Nothing
Looks like a BMW Z

01-12-2021, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #2297
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Deb and I are retired and have been sheltering in place since March so we don't drive much. When I do it's in my 2018 Fiat 124 Spider.

What I like: Everything
What I dislike: Nothing
Have you ever driven that in the snow? I am just curious what it's like with the electronic differential. We have a 2001 Miata with the Torsen LSD and it's surprisingly excellent in snow, with snow tires.
01-12-2021, 09:57 PM   #2298
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Have you ever driven that in the snow? I am just curious what it's like with the electronic differential. We have a 2001 Miata with the Torsen LSD and it's surprisingly excellent in snow, with snow tires.
You would probably get the same traction improvement in snow, in your Mazda sportscar, by loading about 400 pounds of sand bags into the trunk...and the cost would be less.
01-13-2021, 01:46 PM - 2 Likes   #2299
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

crossed-up: My first car was a 1969 Fiat 124 Spider back in 1971. I've had three others since then - two '69s and a '73. We also have a '66 MGB roadster and a '72 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000. The new 124 engine stock has 160hp. I recently installed a Chipbox and Pedal Booster which released an extra 25 more horsepower.
That's an impressive commitment to Italian metal I always loved the contrasting sophistication of 124's to the contemporary MGB's.... coils spring, 4 wheel disc brakes, 5 speed 'box, Lampredi twin cam engine, compared to 'cart springs', lever arm dampers, OHV B series engine etc. Different routes to the same end

I have the same 1.4 Multiair as your 125 in the 595, but in the 180 HP guise. They can chipped to over 240hp but 180 is more than enough for me in the little FWD 'pocket rocket'.

My 124 is off the road at the moment whilst I'm rebuilding the engine - rebore, gas flowed head, cams and a 'big wing' sump etc. The lockdown has largely stalled that project

01-13-2021, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #2300
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had my fair share of Fiats over the years. 600, 850spider (x2), 128 (x4), and a 124 spyder. Really liked how they drove. My neighbor had a couple 134's, and my roommate had a Strada, and a 124 sedan. I still want to find an X-19. 😅 Since the rear engine intrigued me, I also had a Renault 1100 sedan. I only drove my 850 spyder on the freeway one time. Did not like looking straight at the hubs of semis. 🤪
01-13-2021, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #2301
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
I have had my fair share of Fiats over the years. 600, 850spider (x2), 128 (x4), and a 124 spyder. Really liked how they drove. My neighbor had a couple 134's, and my roommate had a Strada, and a 124 sedan. I still want to find an X-19. 😅 Since the rear engine intrigued me, I also had a Renault 1100 sedan. I only drove my 850 spyder on the freeway one time. Did not like looking straight at the hubs of semis. 🤪
I had an 850 Spider in the early 1970's. My wife hated it: she felt like she should have a roller-skate on her bum to avoid burns. When I bought it (used) it was Fiat red, but that colour was invisible in the Wet Coast fog. The second time it was rear ended at a stop light I had it repainted Corvette yellow for visibility. Sharp looking little car and went pretty well. I have a British car magazine that rated it the best of three under 1 litre sportsters.
01-13-2021, 08:53 PM   #2302

The Fiat, Alfa and MGB are never driven during inclement weather. The Fiat has never even seen a wet road. We use Deb's 2007 Mini-Cooper S or the pickup for that. The days of working on my own cars beyond simple replacement parts are long over. I've gotten lazy in my older years. Crossed-up does superb work it seems. The problem with the older 124 Spiders is the lack of torque. We live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains where you need a lot of power and torque to go up to the high lonesome. So the last one got replaced with the new retro version. I think it's the best looking current production automobile. I've always liked the 850 Spider especially the older ones with plexiglass (perspex for our English friends) covered headlamps. That was Bertone's Lamborghini "midget."

01-30-2021, 02:49 PM - 5 Likes   #2303
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found this pic, enjoy
Attached Images

03-12-2021, 05:51 PM   #2304
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mine is a 2008 Corolla

My daily driver is a 2008 Corolla. There are couple of small bump marks on the outside of the car. The front windshield is not beautiful because I caulked it with a tube of gunk to stop it from leaking inside the car. They told me I should have someone reset the windshield, but they would charge $200 for that. Anyway, the caulk tube only cost $5.00, and it works perfectly well. The car passed 200,000 miles on the odometer, and still going strong. I did have to put a new muffler system on the car, but otherwise no repairs except sparkplugs, one burned out tail light, a battery, and two sets of windshield wipers.It has plenty of space and gets about 33 mpg fuel economy. Oh, almost forgot, I have put two sets of new tires on the car, can't think of anything else.
03-14-2021, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #2305
Pentaxian

I've been 5 years driving SUV's after having pick-ups for decades. The prices on trucks have been ridiculous but for the past couple of years, I have had increasing difficulty loading my kayaks unto the roof racks of my CRV and Mariner SUVs. A couple of weeks ago, I added a very well maintained 2011 Nissan Titan to the stable with only 68000 miles. The price was well within my budget. It's a nice truck but I am taking a hit with the gas mileage. Still, I can now easily get my fishing kayak to the lake without hurting myself loading it alone and I also have some serious towing capacity.

03-14-2021, 05:24 PM   #2306
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You just needed the Canoe Elevator! Canoe Elevator and Cart | Flickr

There are less complicated solutions on YouTube if you are less worried about scratching the paint.
03-14-2021, 06:08 PM   #2307
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I've been 5 years driving SUV's after having pick-ups for decades. The prices on trucks have been ridiculous but for the past couple of years, I have had increasing difficulty loading my kayaks unto the roof racks of my CRV and Mariner SUVs. A couple of weeks ago, I added a very well maintained 2011 Nissan Titan to the stable with only 68000 miles. The price was well within my budget. It's a nice truck but I am taking a hit with the gas mileage. Still, I can now easily get my fishing kayak to the lake without hurting myself loading it alone and I also have some serious towing capacity.
Sharp looking truck. We have a couple of Titans around here, and the gas mileage is often mentioned. My Tundra has a 4.7 L engine which will give me 20 mpg (US), my friend has a newer Tundra with the 5.7 and complains just as much about the fuel it goes through.
03-14-2021, 06:15 PM   #2308
Pentaxian

A 2011 pickup truck with only 68000 miles on the odometer. That is low miles over 10 years. looks good and that Titan V8 apparently has loads of power.

How did you find that truck ? It sounds like a creampuff.
03-16-2021, 07:23 AM   #2309
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
A 2011 pickup truck with only 68000 miles on the odometer. That is low miles over 10 years. looks good and that Titan V8 apparently has loads of power.

How did you find that truck ? It sounds like a creampuff.
I was in the right place at the right time. I stopped in to our local Ford dealer just to look. I was considering a lease on a new Ranger or F150. It had been traded in a hour earlier. At $15995, I knew it wouldn't be there long. Maybe a little high for an '11 but considering today's used market and the condition of the vehicle, it's a pretty decent deal. Most trucks in that price range have well over 100K miles.

---------- Post added 03-16-21 at 10:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
You just needed the Canoe Elevator! Canoe Elevator and Cart | Flickr

There are less complicated solutions on YouTube if you are less worried about scratching the paint.
I have an 11 1/2 foot fishing kayak with a 35 inch beam. It won't fit in any of the elevator racks I looked at. It weighs around 80 pounds. Besides, those rack systems cost more than the kayak. I owned an 05 GMC Canyon when I bought it. The frame rusted through and I replaced it with a 07 CRV. That wasn't too bad to get on top. The CRV got wrecked and I replaced it with a 07 Mariner (same as Ford Escape) which is several inches higher and a real battle getting the kayak up there alone. There are lots of other reasons why I wanted another truck but that was one of the biggest.
03-16-2021, 08:07 AM   #2310
Pentaxian

I was in the right place at the right time. I stopped in to our local Ford dealer just to look. I was considering a lease on a new Ranger or F150. It had been traded in a hour earlier. At $15995, I knew it wouldn't be there long. Maybe a little high for an '11 but considering today's used market and the condition of the vehicle, it's a pretty decent deal. Most trucks in that price range have well over 100K miles.

---------- Post added 03-16-21 at 10:34 AM ----------

I have an 11 1/2 foot fishing kayak with a 35 inch beam. It won't fit in any of the elevator racks I looked at. It weighs around 80 pounds. Besides, those rack systems cost more than the kayak. I owned an 05 GMC Canyon when I bought it. The frame rusted through and I replaced it with a 07 CRV. That wasn't too bad to get on top. The CRV got wrecked and I replaced it with a 07 Mariner (same as Ford Escape) which is several inches higher and a real battle getting the kayak up there alone. There are lots of other reasons why I wanted another truck but that was one of the biggest.
When looking at a used vehicle, my view is that you look for a low mileage, great shape job and you are buying 'unused miles'. Which is what you did. Congrats on your Nissan purchase.

We have a 17.5 foot Old Town Freighter canoe and it weighs 120 lbs...it is a heavy beast. We have Yakima racks and getting it on to a vehicle is an art form, one which is getting too hard for my aging bones and muscles. We recently purchased a '20 Chev Traverse SUV, it has factory racks, need to get cross bars, but it is a fairly high vehicle.